• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader DC opens PDF to a black screen

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been opening and using a protected PDF for months for the CPIM self study program.  Tonight I opened it and the PDF itself was all black with no text.  If I scroll or click inside it I can briefly see the word "Joka" repeated over the entire document.  I re-booted and tried again with the same results. 

Anyone ever had this issue and can you offer advice to resolve?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

I uninstalled Adobe reader and the re installed it and it is working fine again

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Haskellcr,

What you have explained above, it sounds like all of the sudden you have started experiencing the problem with this specific file.

Not sure what exactly went wrong, but we can try couple of things to get the root cause of the problem-

Where exactly you have saved the document? Is it possible to save a new copy of same file and reopen it?

Check with another file if the same happens with that?

Check the Acrobat Reader's updates, Launch Acrobat Reader>Help>Check for update and install the latest Patch.

Release Notes | Adobe Acrobat, Reader

Still no luck, if possible then you may share the file with us we would like to test the same at our end.

"You can share the file with us via email. And you can send it to the email that is shared via private message. Please do mention your forum thread in the subject"

Try the following and let us know the result.

Regards,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled Adobe reader and the re installed it and it is working fine again

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Haskellcr,

Thanks for sharing your findings.

Let us know if any further assistance is required.

-Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While uninstalling and reinstalling works, it's easier to turn off night mode. Open a document, at the bottom bar far left symbol (looks sort of like a Sim card) select the symbol and turn off night mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dano,

Thank you for sharing the workaround which will help other users facing a similar issue. Feel free to update this discussion for any further assistance.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm... I have a presentation that I have set to start automatically in Full Screen mode.

When I open DC Reader and open the file it works fine.

However, I have created a (Win 10 PC) desktop shortcut to the file and when it opens all I get is a black/blank screen. This has been going on for some time, but it used to work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the file opening in Adobe Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, opens fine from Adobe Reaser  and goes Full Screen, no problem .

When I use the shortcut, I have to open Task Manager and "End Task" for Adobe to shut down Reader.

I've previous checked for updates, Uninstalled and reinstall DC and still get same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, I have "Pinned" the file to Adobe Reader and I get the same "Black/Blank" screen when I open it that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave up and changed my PDF files to open in another PDF program (not Adobe) by default and it works fine, even through the shortcut!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dano,

This is not a night screen issue.  Its not white text on black background.  It is completely blocked out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. I went to the Help menu at the top and selected Repair Installation. That fixed my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Repair Installation under 'Help' worked for me.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this phenomenon too, using Adobe Reader 2018. The cause of the problem was the setting "Enable Protected Mode at startup" in the Security (Enhanced) category. It happens if you deselect this option.

So, no need to reinstall Adobe Reader; just select the option and all is well again. I still have the same problem with Adobe Acrobat and I can't see this setting there.

reader_pref.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Yves,

I tried this again (had done it before) but still no luck.

It is strange that when I open the file from within Reader DC it behaves properly, but if I open it via a shortcut (or from File Explorer) it just gives a blank screen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. If I open my Auto Full Screen mode PDF file from within the program it works fine. If I open the pdf using the icon or shortcut; however, it goes to a black screen and freezes.

I did manage to resolve the issue on my PC. Since I have a touch screen, I had to go to my Adobe Reader DC: 

Edit > Preferences > General > Touch Mode and Choose Never from the dropdown options.

Afterwhich, everything worked fine.

I hope this will help anyone with this unique and hard-to-identify issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deselected and selected again the Enable Protected Mode at startup box, and deselect the Enable Enhance Security box. Then, I closed Acrobat Reader and I opened it again and the program runs well now.

This information worked for me, thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this information. Had not realized that this had been changed. All good now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For those who get Black Screen on their Adobe Acrobat Reader check this video blow to solve the issue in 1 mint

https://youtu.be/MCShMwo55C8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines