• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader DC runs extremely slow when using Comments and Sticky Notes

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2019 Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reading, writing, and editing Comments and Sticky Notes is extremely frustrating. When I receive PDFs with Comments from other people, I can barely navigate the file because Acrobat runs so slow. The Comments do not display when I hover over them, I am forced to use the Comments bar and even then the delay to move from one to another is terrible.

Similarly, when I add Sticky Notes to a PDF I have to wait a long time before the text I typed appears. The delay is quite bad. I typed the following in a Sticky Note and waited 12 seconds for it to appear:  "You ask me if I love you and I s a"

I'm running Windows 10.

I have the latest version of Acrobat Reader DC:  19.010.20091, February 12, 2019

I tried Repair Installation 3 times today.

I cleared the Enable Protected Mode at startup, and Enhanced Security check boxes.

Nothing works.

Short of uninstalling and reinstalling, is there anything else to try?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked like a charm for me !
Thank you Salman 😘 😘 😘 😘 😘 😘

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a user that is now having this same issue. He has an engineering document that has 7,294(!) comments. Acrobat Pro works on loading them for about 3 minutes and makes it up to 4,864 comments. At that point, the program just stops responding and you have to exit out.

We've been investigating Foxit PhantomPDF as an alternate to Acrobat Pro. I opened his document in that editor without any issues and could see all of the comments. Even with everything loaded, it only used 326MB of memory; Acrobat was at 557MB at the point it stopped responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same exact problem where my document would load 10k objects and then crash every time. I spent countless hours trying to optimize the file with little help online. My job requires marking up large PDF's quickly for fast installations and one would assume that software that was designed specifically for PDF view/modification would be the best or at least be prepared for issues like this and quickly correct them. My organization recently ruled out trials of Bluebeam Revu and it is night and day compared to Adobe. Bluebeam seems to self optimize the file and the same 70 page file mentioned above worked amazingly. I was done marking it up in less than an hour. To see this many other users left unanswered gives the impression of a tenured company that has lost sight of innovation. My Bluebeam is self updating as I type this with patches fixing issues that I didn't even know it had.

To sum this up, my issues with my PDF in Adobe may be user error but it seems that as a basic Adobe user we should be able to open a large PDF and at least not have the programs default internal executions instantly spiral itself into frustrating gridlock and maybe have the ability to recognize that the program is spiraling and automatically ask the user if it can adjust things to run better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a the following problems with Foxit PhantomPDF:

• counldn't filter ticked comments out
  • text decorations like italic or bold weren't shown (didn't test it in comment-bubbles)

Now I found another program, that fits my requirement: PDF-XChange Editor

Even in the free version I can handle my comments. 

It's so amazing to open and handle a PDF-file at this speed. If I have a little bit more time I will check other functionality of the program. Perhaps it will be the better solution at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, do you know if its possible to import comments from Acrobat to another pdf reader? I recently got PDFelement, but it seems to only open the files with highlights, no annotations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kpl777,

yes, it's possible. If you open a pdf file that contains comments, all are shown.

You can also export comments from Adobe Acrobat to fdf-file and import these comments.

The same you can do from PDF-XChange Editor.

One difference: Adobe Acrobat shows text decoration within the comment list. In PDF-XChange Editor you have to show the flyouts (comment-bubbles) to see text decorations. The comment list itself only shows plain text. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe Community! I have a MacBook Air (MacOS Monterey 12.4) from my work and I am using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 2022.001.20142. I had to switch computers because my last mac was giving me trouble. 

So, the same problem was happening everytime I added a comment, but one way I found to eliminate the lag was to open the comments section, and leave it open while I keep reading. If I want to make a comment, I don't have to click right or click on the highlighted part. Instead, I just go to the bottom right of my document and write the comment. After that, I can continue and the circular rainbox( loading) doesnt appear. 

I still have to click on the highlighting icon tho, but at least I don't have to wait 5+ seconds for each comment I do. I hope this is helpful!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5+ seconds would be great. It's more like 5-15+ minutes or completely frozen and broken or zero memory even on a 64-bit adobe. The program simply doesn't work, never has worked, and never will work. Adobe doesn't give a flying crap because they make their money off photoshop and other products. Adobe has been their long lost, thrice separated, orphaned stepchild.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem on a Mac... almost unusable but like everything else with Adobe one has no choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a solution that works for me. Avoid opening up the comments sidebar. Instead, right click on your toolbar --> "customize quick tools" --> add the comment tools you like to use. There are a few other tricks to speed up the pdf, like "optimizing" the pdf to downsize it, changing up the "page display" and "commenting" sections in "preferences," but what has helped the most for me is the first solution that I mentioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's 2023 and I'm having this issue for the first time with Acrobat Pro DC 2022.001.20112.  Customers make comments to files and Acrobat takes at least 5 minutes to load them, whether there are 2 or 200 comments.  I have never had this problem in all the years I've been using this program, and it is a major pain in the neck.  It looks like Adobe either doesn't care or can't fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines