• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC - runs slow/crashes with comments

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use AAPDC for work and the comments function is a necessity for what I do.  Any files I have with comments is acting slow, freezing, not displaying the actual comments fast and on occasion freezing up and crashing.    My system is rather robust as it's intended purpose is to be a gaming computer, it is also only 2 weeks old and only has MS office and Pro DC on it as that is all I use for work.  

Windows 10

16 Gig Memory

Ryzen 7 AMD Processor

Gaming Graphics Card

Can you guys suggest anything?  My documents typically have 1000+ comments and a project that would take an hour or so to review is taking multiple hours with several reboots.

Thank you,

MC

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 08, 2019 Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marniem,

Apologies for the delay in response, I hope you would be able to fix it by now.

If the problem still persists, as stated above, Adobe Acrobat DC runs slow and crashes, correct?

We need some more information for a better understanding:

• Is this a behavior with a particular file or with any fire you try to open?

• Is the application freezing /crashing while launching?

In the meantime, you may try the following steps:

• Update the application to the latest version. Go to Help > Check For Updates. To know more about the latest version available you may refer to the link - DC Release Notes — Release Notes for Acrobat DC Products
  • Go to Edit > Preferences > Uncheck show online storage when opening a file and show online storage when saving a file.

If that doesn't work,

you may try to turn off the protected mode and Enhanced security.

Go to Edit > Preferences > Enhanced Security > Turn Off the protected mode and Uncheck Enhanced security. restart the application and check.

Note: Switching OFF the security is for the testing purpose only, please turn ON the security after testing, irrespective of the result.

If still the application crashes, you may try the troubleshooting steps provided in the help article - Resolve Acrobat DC intermittent crashes on Windows

Let us know if that works for you

Regards,

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, just to add my two cents, I also have a similar problem.

I'm running AARDC (not Pro) version 20.012.20043.3217

Computer specs:

RAM: 8 GB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

GPU: GTX 1060 3GB

I'm working on a 32-page PDF that had 0 comments when I started. Acrobat Reader was very speedy. As I started adding comments, AARDC gradually started slowing down. I first noticed slowness around the time the document had something like 200-300 comments. Right now I've created 510 comments and the application has slowed to the point where Windows changes its name on the title bar to include the words "not responding". When it hangs, it's typically for approximately 2-5 seconds.

PS: The only modifications I've made to the source document were strikethroughs, highlighting, and some visual elements like lines, connected lines, rectangles, ovals and clouds. (Almost every element I've added to the PDF does have a corresponding few words as a comment.)

The PDF itself (when I received it) does contain "heavy" use of fonts, text formatting, background images, and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So their response is:

No Response.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Editing a 3MB text-only pdf using Acrobat on a subscription (so it should be updating to the latest version). After about 1,500 comments I had to split off the remaining half of the document because it was impossible to work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2024 Apr 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Facing the same problem, added around 300 comments in a pdf page which resulted lag the file. To add the more comments and not able to scroll down the page's properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here I have a lot of comments on my files and is unworkable, I thought purchasing a new pc would solve the issue but it seems to be the adobe software creating the lag. A better more up to date response that actually resolves the issue would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. I updated to the latest release and turned off the protected mode and Enhanced security, but the problem presists. Fixing this does not seem a high priority for Adobe. Does anyone know of an alternative to Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't believe this is still a thing! I have a 280 pages document with text markings (over 3400), and the document turned into an unusable waste of space. Crashes every time I open it. My computer is definitely not the problem. Tried opening the file in google docs, stuck on loading for several minutes until I gave up. It's ridiculous how this app (Acrobat Pro) is not able to handle something basic like that. There are people out there who read books/scripts with Acrobat and need to put comments/markings on text. That's the whole point why I got this app in the first place. Turns out, that core functionality is not working properly. To be honest, text markings shouldn't be treated as comments in the first place. I hope you fix your app asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that

Is this an issue with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs? Please try with a different PDF file and check.

What is the version of the Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 23.03.20244 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Also try to repair the installation from the help menu (Win Only) and see if that works.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, Amal.
It is not a problem with the installation; it's a problem with **how
Acrobat runs (is written as a program)*.* I was given a 300-page layout to
copy-edit, and I noticed after inputting hundreds of "comments"—including
the built-in copy-edit commands such as delete, replace text, insert text,
etc.)—that the file was taking longer to open, navigate, and modify. If
such features are offered, they should run efficiently. If they don't, then
either fix the programming (I know, it's hardly likely) or add a
note/warning somewhere that at some point the program may become
overwhelmed.
Lena

---------------------------------------------------------------

Ksenia Lena Maryniak, MA, C.Tran.

[P.I Removed by Moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Please check if the issue occurs with other file as well. Once the file has many comments and pages containing different elements like text and images it becomes heavy and start operatingf slow. You may skare your feedback with the engineering team using the link https://acrobat.uservoice.com/

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines