Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Can't Open Embedded JPG

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC running in a Server 2022 RDS environment. I don't believe we've had this issue before, but it seems now we cannot open certain embedded attachment types that might be embedded in a PDF. For instance, a PDF will have a JPG attachment that has been embedded into the PDF via the Comment > "add a new attachment" option. Upon trying to open said embedded attachment, it'll pop up an error saying "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page". Well, there is an app associated for JPG files, so this message is wrong. 

As a workaround, I can right-click the embedded file and choose "Save Embedded File to Disk...". After saving the file somewhere, I can double-click it and it'll open in the app that is associated with that file extension, as you'd expect.

So, there's something up with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. It can open a PDF that is embedded in the PDF just fine, but not other image/file types. I've already tried turning protected mode and enhanced security off in Adobe, but it seems to make no difference. 

Anyone have any ideas? This is pretty annoying. Thanks!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be an issue with Server 2022, since Reader itself doesn't open any other formats than PDF. If attached JPGs won't open, it's the operating system that fails at this point. If you think it's a bug in Reader you can report this under https://acrobat.uservoice.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's Adobe Reader not properly making a call to something. As mentioned, you can have embedded files inside of a PDF using the attachment feature under comments. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reader or Acrobat could be damaged. Repairing the installation is a quick troubleshooting safeguard.

Choose Help > Repair Installation.

Help, Repair Installation
REPAIR USING CONTROL PANEL (WINDOWS)
You can also repair your Acrobat or Reader installation using the Windows Control Panel.

Close Reader or Acrobat.
Click Start > Control Panel.

Start Control Panel
Do one of the following in Control Panel, depending on your version of Windows:

(Windows 8/7/Vista) Click Programs, and then click Programs and Features.
(Windows XP) Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
In the list of programs, select Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat.

Click Change and follow the instructions to repair the application.
Click Change to repair
When the process is complete, click Finish.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can guarantee it's not a damaged install. It does the same thing on each RDS session host.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines