• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader 9.4.2 - PDFs won't open in IE 8 & IE 9

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2011 Feb 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The recent Adobe Reader 9.4.2 is causing issues with PDFs opening in IE 8 and 9 browsers.  Prior to this update our users have had no issues with opening PDFs generated by our website.

Our website generates USPS labels using Siberix ReportWriter software.  We have not released any updates for at least a month.  Again, before the release of Adobe Reader 9.4.2, there was no issues with our website's PDFs opening in IE browsers.

User System Specs:

Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 Ultimate

Adobe Reader 9.4.2

Internet Explorer 8 - "File Download" window issue

Internet Explorer 9 - "File Download" window issue

Firefox 3.6.13 - No Issues

Chrome 9.0.597.98 (with Adobe Reader 9.4.2 plugin enabled and Chrome PDF Viewer disabled) - No Issues

The "File Download" window states the following (in addition to a Save and a Cancel button): "The file you are downloading cannot be opened by the default program.  It is either corrupt or it has an incorrect file type.  As a security precaution, it is recommended that you cancel the download. ..."

We have the following workarounds to address this issue with our customers, but they are not ideal:

• Update to Adobe Reader X
  • Disable "Display PDF in browser" Reader option
  • Don't update Adobe Reader 9 to 9.4.2
  • Install other PDF Reading software.

Any solutions to this issue would be appriciated.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 10, 2011 Mar 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@NancyLee123: Yes, I'm connected with Adobe Support.  I'm sorry we didn't dectect this before 9.4.2 shipped or find it sooner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2011 Mar 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a bug number logged for this?  If so may I get it for tracking purposes?  We are having this issue as well.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2011 Mar 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to reply and let everyone know that 9.4.3 still has this bug.  It seem the 9.4.2->9.4.3 was really only security related.  Were still looking for a good solution to this, as our company is stuck on 9.4.1 at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2011 Apr 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record, I am having the same problem using Firefox.  All I want to do is download my bank statements in pdf...but I get this message when I try...

Adobe Error .PNG

Thanks,

Valerie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  haven't seen that specific error message very often.  There is a known problem with some statements in 9.4.2 but that is not the symptom that has been reported.  Did you upgrade from Reader 8, or do you have a version of Acrobat 8 on your system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. In the meantime, I have uninstalled an old

version of Adobe Reader and repaired the newest version. That has solved

the problem.

Again, thanks.

Valerie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We found it, after one of those 'Aha' moments turned into a 'D'oh' moment.

If the PDF is served with an extension of ".pdf" it will still work, even if the mime type includes "charset=UTF-8".

If the PDF is served with a different extension (or none), and the mime type has "charset=UTF-8", it will not work.  This is also the case with the forms-types files we handle (.fdf, .xfd, .xfdf, .xdp).

This is an important bug that we want to fix and will be in a future release as soon as we can get it into the process  (but it takes a while to do the full testing we need to do, so I can't promise it right away).

Unfortunately I cannot find any workaround other than use the .pdf extension, I know that is very frustrating.

This is now part of our regular testing, you can be assured.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2011 Mar 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please clarify what you mean by "served with an extension of '.pdf'". Is it:

1. The final file extension-looking portion of the url

(from which Adobe Reader plugin appears to [oddly] derive 'Save As' filenames)

2. The extension portion of the filename: in the Content-Disposition http header?

If it is the first option, perhaps this is a good chance to review the reasons for that implementation as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2011 Mar 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for looking into the problem, you've helped restore a little more faith in Adobe Support Keep up the good work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 03, 2011 Mar 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried most of the steps on this read and it still does not work 100%. Here are my steps.

a) Header has already been set to application/pdf.

b) Failed

c) Added Response.Charset = null:

- Internet Explorer: Works

- Firefox: Works

- Chrome.. using the steps listed above: Does not work

- Safari: Does not work

Can you provide some additional information on how you were able to get this feature to work in Chrome/Safari?

Thanks,

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2011 Mar 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is discussing work-arounds to a specific issue caused by the combination of Internet Explorer and Acrobat Reader v9.4.2. The specific browser versions are Internet Explorer versions 8 and 9. (Neither older nor newer versions of the Acrobat Reader plugin for Internet Explorer have this specific issue; neither do any version of the Firefox plugins.)

Safari and Chrome may not even use a plugin to view PDF files (for example, on the Chrome developer channel). Although I am not sure what you mean by "does not work", the first thing I would verify is that a local copy of the PDF can be viewed using those browsers. If you can verify that it opens successfully and also determine that the plugin being used is Adobe Reader v9.4.2, you should be able to fix the problem by updating the plugin to v10.

If all of the above holds true and your users are stuck with v9.4.2 then more information is needed (the way things aren't working, HTTP headers, etc.). If not, I would recommend asking this question as a separate topic (if the problem is not v9.4.2 of the Acrobat Reader plugin) or on a Chrome/Safari-specific or more general forum (if the versions of those browsers which you need to support are not using the Acrobat Reader plugin).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to open pdf document(can only save) from websites also but i am using adobe reader x.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

My agency started recieving complaints about this problem last Friday.

We have a variety of pdfs that will not download in IE.  Firefox and Chrome have no problems with the download.  Let me give you some samples:

http://www.scdot.org/doing/bridge/06design_manual.shtml (if you click on the SCDOT Bridge Design Manual link in the first paragraph)

http://www.scdot.org/doing/tenyear.shtml (select any county from the county dropdown, and select GO)

I have numerous other complaints.  The Bridge Design Manual has for several years, the ten year content was places on the site within the last few weeks.

The files work fine when downloaded locally.

I have installed version 10.0.1 and this does not correct the problem.  IE9 reports the following versions of the adobe add-ons:

Adobe PDF: 9.4.0.195

Adobe PDF Link Helper: 10.0.1.434

Adobe PDF conversion toolbar: 9.4.0.195

SmartSelect Class: 9.4.0.195

Is there a fix for this yet?

Thanks!

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at this site and there actually appears to be something wrong with the server.  In IE, I clicked "Saved Target As..." for the "SCDOT Bridge Design Manual" and it stalled at about 26KB.  When I do this, Reader is not involved at all since it's just IE saving the file locally.

I tried downloading it in IE8 and Firefox 3 and both stalled.  I tried this on Firefox 3 macintosh (which Adobe Reader doesn't support) and the same thing happened. Your particular file doesn't appear to be a Reader issue.

Can you check that your server is not getting some sort of error trying to read this file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response.  I will have our server team look at it and see what they can figure out.

D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2011 Jul 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. It's not an Adobe problem. It's IE. I use Foxit reader and haven't even got Adobe on the computer and I have the same problem. This isn't an answer to it, just me telling you it's not Adobe or Foxit. I haven't found an answer yet. I will say, however, the examples given to try and open (the scotbridge manual) did open in IE9 for me just now. I think it's some types of PDF or the way they're named (illegal spaces, extra extensions etc).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2013 Aug 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys, recently we have migrated our application from one server to another. After that we are facing issues while accessing a link which opens a PDF in pop up page with print option. Our application is getting used by over than 15000 users and now many users have started complaining that once they are clicking on link, instead of pop page, they are getting "The file that you are downloading cannot be opened by the default program. It is either corrupted or has incorrect file type.  As a security precaution, it’s recommended that you cancel the download." message with save and cancel information of the file which should not be the case.

Also many users are getting pop up page but nothing is coming on there and it's all blank. I have noticed that who sover are getting blank page those users are using IE8 or IE9 and those users are getting error message, IE6 or 7 for them.

Please help me guys what I can do, any code change or setting change which I can tell them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you posting this in a two year old topic with a totally different issue and a completely outdated Reader version in the subject?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually the issue is the same; I apologize!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a professional blogger. visit my website   https://uptocrack.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is one of various solutions that, depending on the circumstances, may be acceptable to some. My organisation, on the other hand, has hundreds of customers, many of whom do not have administrator privileges on their workstations and each with their own install/update procedures administered by their own IT departments corecrack. In our case, this makes upgrading to Adobe Reader X a less than desirable choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Subtitle Edit Mac Crack  is a free subtitle editor that you can use to create, edit and save video subtitles. Windows allows you to sync subtitles to any video, movie, or program you’re watching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines