Adobe Reader displays distorted characters on some PDFs

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have a problem with Acrobat Reader DC displaying wierd characters on some PDFs but only under a regular user (non-admin user in Domain) on a PC. Admin user can see the PDF properly.

Version - Latest Adobe Acrobat Reader DC - 2021.001.20140

Additionals: I have installed the language pack for Adobe Reader 21 (Problem occured even before the installation)

Here is an example of the issue:

defaultz6z257whzxuj_0-1614155518787.png

When the same PDF is opened in Mozzila it displays more character but is still distorted. When open in Chrome, it displays everything properly, but when I run Adobe Reader as an Admin under the users account it is still distorted. When I log in as Admin on the same computer and open the PDF, it displays correctly.

From other community posts here I have found that the issue may be missing fonts. Or the embeded fonts that are not recognized and Adobe Reader tries to replace them with something else. But why does it work under Admin and not under user? Are some fornt restricted from "basic users"? Is there a way to stop this issue and how?

I have tried reinstallation which did not help. 

I will be glad for any piece of advice. Thanks in advance,

Daniel

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same issue on my customers terminal server. Only affects PDFs created by a specific company presumably because of the font their using and not embedding fonts. Characters display as scrambled unless the user has admin rights.  Workaround is to temporarily grant the user admin rights. View the PDF, after a few seconds the characters display properly. Then remove admin rights.  PDF displays OK after that even without admin rights.

Do you need admin rights to install fonts when first viewing certain PDFs?  Adobe can we have an answer please.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines