• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to download Adobe Reader (older version/offline)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!
I was having a problem with my PC so I uninstalled Adobe Reader, thinking I can re-install it again later. Now I find I may not be capable of downloading and installing Adobe Reader because of my Operating System. Can I download an older version of Acrobat Reader on my machine?

Adobe Reader (older version/offline) Download

TOPICS
Download and install

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Hi!

Hope you are doing well and thanks for reaching out.

Adobe always recommends downloading and install the latest available version of Acrobat or the freeware Acrobat Reader app to get the latest features and security updates. You can always download the latest version of Acrobat Reader from the URL: https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/ 

However, if you still wish to install the older version, you may use the following URL to download & install the freeware Acrobat Reader: 

Win: ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Adobe always recommends downloading and install the latest available version of Acrobat or the freeware Acrobat Reader app to get the latest features and security updates. You can always download the latest version of Acrobat Reader from the URL: https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/ 

However, if you still wish to install the older version, you may use the following URL to download & install the freeware Acrobat Reader: 

Win: ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/ 

Mac: ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/mac/ 

https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/etk_deprecated/tools/ReleaseNotes/index.html 

For technical specifications of Acrobat Reader, please see this article: https://helpx.adobe.com/reader/system-requirements.html 

For an older version of Acrobat Reader, please see this article: https://helpx.adobe.com/reader/system-requirements-old-versions.html 

To know more about Acrobat Reader, see this: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/faq.html

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

(Edited response)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anand

I have tried to use the link in your answer above to source an older version of DC that works with my software. (Newer version of DC isnt compatible). 
Specifically the one I am after installs the version that runs the AcroRd32.exe

Has the link changed, or are you able to check and provide alternate link please

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Remy5CF2 

Try the following URL and let us know if you still experience any issues: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html# 

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anand,

I've been using Adobe Acrobat 9.5.5 Standard for quite a few years alongside Adobe Readers. Recently (in the last quarter of 2021) the Adobe Reader updated to the latest DC version and arbitrarily removed Acrobat Standard from my system. When I tried to re-install Acrobat Standard, the installer pops up a message saying "Setup has detected that you already have a more functional product installed. Screenshot (332).pngSetup will now terminate". Any idea how to fix the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to my query above, I have a perpetual license.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please create a restore point and back everything up before proceeding.  You will have to first uninstall the DC, then reinstall your older version of Acrobat.  I had installed an older version of Acrobat after reinstalling the Acrobat starndard.  

I had the same experience where Adobe removed the Acrobat Standard 6.0 program without authorization - esetinatially tresspasing and causing malicious damage.  My system had to eventually be rebuild because when Adobe removed the program, it caused cruption to the file system.  I am very upset by what Adobe did where they removed something I paid for.  I'm all in for a class action!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Specifically the one I am after installs the version that runs the AcroRd32.exe"

Every version of Acrobat Reader or Adobe Reader for the last 20 years has run AcroRd32.exe. Including all of today's versions. If you face an issue, please tell us, rather than guessing you need an old version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to download a form and get a message that I need to be using a 8.0 version of Adobe Reader or higheer the version on my computer is shown as Adobe Reader DC 2021.007.20099 which I assume version 7.  Was trying to find a newer version.

Thanks for any help that you might provide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Reader DC is much newer than version 8, so it should work fine.

Make sure you're opening the file using it, though, and not in a browser window or any other application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it working by opening the file from within Reader. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2021.007.20099 is version 21, brand new and up to date.  You need to download the form and open it in Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2021 Dec 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have tried to download the older version of Adobe Reader from the link you privided.

However, all ftp links seems broken.

Have these ftp links changed recently? Where can I get the older version of Adobe Reader.

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2021 Dec 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must use a dedicated FTP client to open the link, it won't work in most browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The latest version of acrobat adobe reader, subtly put, is horrible. 1) it crashes. 2) it takes 30 seconds to make a copy. Couldn't they be friendlier and put a page where to download an older version? what? we have to be system engineers? Come on guys, think of the people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh man you saved me big time, may the Owner of The Universe (The Big Being) Bless you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know which link you used, but be aware that Adobe since stopped updating the FTP server with the latest versions of Reader, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the morality of the story is: you can't get the older version of Acrobat Reader DC via le link. After fumbling a bit with the prehistoric filezilla I got into the Adobe ftp server. 

I picked a version number at random. There is no way to find out which one will work without the Adobe bug that garbles every backside page when printing two sized on an HP 500 Laserjet printer  - see my post "Reader printing garbled text "      (this happens only with the 64 bit version of Acrobat reader DC on Windows 10).

I picked 201801120058 and it works ! This version prints two sided.

But the sign document feature is no longer there....

How do I get the 32 bit version with the signature feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In reponse to my own question: the way to get the 32 bit version of Acrobat Reader DC on a 64 bit Windows PC is : https://get.adobe.com/reader/ at the bottom of the initial window it says : 

Your system:Windows 10,English
Enter your version of OS and language and then pick the current version NOT the one with (64 bit)  at the end.
That's not all! At the first opportunity Adobe will force the 64 version upon you and delete the precious 32 bit version ! The way to stop this update is explained at length in my post "Reader printing garbled text "   (also the reason why we need the AcroRdr32 DC and not Acrobatreader DC exe) and , believe me, it is NOT SIMPLE ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines