• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader Update Scheduled Task? Is this Normal?

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2014 Dec 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I booted up my computer today and as I usually did, I checked my startup items. Adobe Reader and Acrobat Update Manager was removed from the list. I was confused, and after rebooting to see if that fixed it, checked again. Still gone. Doing some research, apparently an 'Adobe Refresh Manager' with the version number 1.8.0 was installed or something. Or configured at least. Checking with CCleaner, I looked up the startup tab... the Windows Tab still remained void of the Adobe entry. However checking the Scheduled Task section, I found an entry for the Updater there for some reason.

Is this a new function? Did the Updater update itself and shifted from a Startup Item to a scheduled task? I'm a little worried that something is wrong with my computer. For the record, my Adobe Acrobat had already updated on the 9th of December to 11.0.10.
Is this normal now???

I'm running Windows 8.1 32-bit btw.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Dec 23, 2014 Dec 23, 2014

Yes, Acrobat and Reader Updater self-updated itself with the latest version. There is nothing to worry about. Moving to Task Scheduler makes checks for updates more predictable. Removing launch from Run key improves system startup. You can probably find other updaters as well in the Task Scheduler, such as Google, Windows itself, Adobe Flash, etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Acrobat and Reader Updater self-updated itself with the latest version. There is nothing to worry about. Moving to Task Scheduler makes checks for updates more predictable. Removing launch from Run key improves system startup. You can probably find other updaters as well in the Task Scheduler, such as Google, Windows itself, Adobe Flash, etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I just wish there was a bit of documentation on this since it scared me a little. Google Chrome for sure, though I don't have Adobe Flash installed due to Chrome's built in plugin (which Adobe apparently codes for Chrome?

Still, no longer do I need to worry now. XD I just didn't expect it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2014 Dec 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this gives you some more information: http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/runonce-key-created-every-user.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I stop the installer from creating the scheduled task? The reason for this is I am currently dealing with an issue in SAP where the workaround is to install an older version of Adobe Reader DC then quickly disable updating so it doesn't update and the issue doesn't reoccur. I deploy all applications via Endpoint Configuration Manager and a specific package will be deployed only to the team that requires it. It's only a small team and I can install each one manually (by remote) so it's the not the time it will take to set up each user one by one, but if the scheduled task wasn't created in the first place it would eliminate the risk of it updating before we get the chance to turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Reader DC is designed to auto update, with no choice. But enterprise admins can still turn it off by creating a custom deployment using the essential info in the Acrobat Enterprise Drployment Guide. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 29, 2016 May 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not correct completely !!! It is same with Acrobat XI Pro, install update service, and no Mather is it disabled there is AdobeARM.exe what will annoying with update every time when is Acrobat open (That  behavior is just from few months ago !)and cannot be stopped, uninstall it, or lock with some tool !!! Adobe DO NOT NEED !!! it It is in whole Adobe ARM Folder !!!

Thank you for your attention,

Respectfully yours

Prof.Dr. Aleksandar Blagojević Ph.EMD.,Dip.ING, IT PRO

microshitco@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines