Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader XI icon broken in Windows 10 taskbar

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have Adobe Reader XI version 11.0.23 installed and have a minor, but strange problem. When the application is open, the icon within the taskbar seems to be broken, instead displaying an 'image' icon in it's place, similar to what Windows 10 will display for a .jpg file. But if I hover my mouse cursor over the icon to show the small preview window, the icon is present and not broken as seen in the left corner of the small preview window.

I'm not entirely sure if this is a bug within Windows or with Adobe Reader, if it's with Adobe Reader then I doubt it can be fixed with no updates being issued anymore. I am running Windows 10 build 21h1 with all the latest updates installed.

I have tried repairing the Adobe Reader installation, uninstalling and reinstalling and updating the program fully with no such difference. It's not a major problem but it is slightly annoying as I keep missing the program when it's open thinking it's just an image I have opened!

If anyone has any solutions to try and fix this that'll be great! If it's something to do with Windows then hopefully it could be fixed with the upcoming Microsoft Patch Tuesday updates.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

I just fixed it. I had to replace the shortcut in the start menu directory with a non-broekn icon shortcut file. I just copied the shortcut from my desktop and pasted it into the start menu directory, replacing the broken shortcut which solved the issue.

Not sure why I didn't think of that sooner! Hopefully this thread may help anyone else who had the same problem as me. In the end, a very simple fix.

Thanks to anyone who responded too.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you using such an outdated version of Reader? It's past its EOL and is not supported by Adobe any longer.
It's also increasingly not compatible with Windows 10, so such issues are to be expected. I recommend you update it to the latest version to avoid future problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just don't get on with DC very well. I just find it slower and a bit over simplified for me and, the toolbars now have huge buttons and annoying sidebars along with other things so, I have to close all that stuff every time I open a PDF up. And I just perfer the layout and design of XI, it's just more to the point and simple without trying to look all pretty.

DC is a good product though, just wish I could change the settings a bit more. I know XI is past EOL but I think I can keep myself safe enough. Yes that's fair enough, I don't expect compatibility forever with it already being nine years old now. I may look into getting DC again and see how it is now, I haven't tried it in a while.

Thanks for the reply as well! I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just fixed it. I had to replace the shortcut in the start menu directory with a non-broekn icon shortcut file. I just copied the shortcut from my desktop and pasted it into the start menu directory, replacing the broken shortcut which solved the issue.

Not sure why I didn't think of that sooner! Hopefully this thread may help anyone else who had the same problem as me. In the end, a very simple fix.

Thanks to anyone who responded too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines