Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All files extension changed to .pdf- Acrobat Reader

Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have a Dell laptop and Windows 10. I Have Acrobat Reader DC on my computer. Right now I am having a huge issue where files that are not .PDFs are somehow being saved as PDF on my computer or only allowed me to attempt to open documents or other files via .PDF form.

Example - I tried to save .dsi (Desi Label file) onto my computer or a shared network. Other people on the network can see it as a .dsi file, but I can only see it as a .PDF and then I get an error when try to open it outside of the DESI program.

Does to "safe guard" exist or something that Adobe Acrobat Read DC is force saving files that aren't regular and should not be .PDFs and turning them into .PDF or allowing that to be the only way I can view them? If so, how can I stop that from happening?

Any help or feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amberg73474993,

We apologize for the delay in response to your query.

As explained above, its seems like Acrobat Reader DC has been set as default application to open all the document in your computer.

You may follow the steps mentioned below to change the default app for the other files than .pdf

• Go to the computer's file folder.
  • Right click on any random file (Eg. .dsi)
  • Select "Open With"> Choose another App> Select related app(DESI App)
  • Check "Always use this app to open .dsi" files.

Follow the same steps to open any other file extension than the .pdf which you do not want to open through the Adobe Reader DC application.

Regards,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do understand that your application mandatorily doing this to all my files is in fact malware?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

URGENT HELP NEEDED!!

My computer has done the same thing, only mine includes JEF files (there isn't an app that I can fix it with because it is for my sewing machine)  Janome.. 

Please tell me how to fix this as I can no longer access my embroidery files!  Not happy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution is the same as described above. You need to re-associate the files with a different application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe, I am having the exact same problem...and the abouve instructions does not work because when I click on the file and choose open with, the only option it gives me is Adobe Acrobat DC...so how can I open with something else?  Also, adobe had changed ALL my files...it's impossible for me to change them one by one.  Please give me instructions on how to change it all back the way it was before I installed Adobe Acrobat DC.  I paid a lot of money for this program...it shouldn't give me all this trouble or be difficult to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the bottom of the list there should be a "Choose default program" option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying.  The bottom of what list?  Would you give me a step by step how to do this?  The files I am talking about are on my desktop.  A folder I created for when I scan something, it goes directly into that folder.  All the files in there open automaticaly as pdf's...but that's not how it was before I installed adobe acrobat DC.  Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bottom of the Open With sub-menu with you right-click a file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I right click it, there are no options like I usually get when I right click something.  I go to Open With---right click, and it opens directly to adobe acrobat DC...it gives me no options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated the OS on my MAC to Monterey and I am now having the same problem above.  I have gone through the steps above and it is still not working.  If this has happened to all of my files this is a serious problem for me.  Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work as the only Adobe app was Reader DC and it is set as the default.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2022 Sep 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The computer aided translation software "Transit NXT" from Star uses file extensions to identify the language of the reference pair files so - for a translation of a file named "Text 123.docx" from German to US English - the reference file pair would be  "Text 123.DEU" and  "Text 123.ENU". Adobe Reader DC simply took possession of and altered all of the files on my Windows 11 system which had the file extension .DEU without asking or warning. Now I have nearly 8GB of reference files in 66 directories that constitutes the work of about 10 years which my translation tool can no longer access! 

Now what ADOBE!!! Your software could have and should have asked for permission BEFORE altering existing files. Short of deleting my harddisk, reinstalling the programs, recovering gigabytes of data from backups and rebuilding the system from scratch, how does a person recover from this disaster? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines