• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All my excel files were converted to pdf. Why would this happen and how do i stop it from doing so?

Apr 27, 2014 Apr 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All my excel files were converted to pdf. Why would this happen and how do i stop it from doing so?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 27, 2014 Apr 27, 2014

shloimypt wrote:

Relax, they weren't converted to PDF.

You can tell by right clicking ANY of them and choosing "Properties". You'll see there that they're STILL .xls or .xlsx files. The "association" has changed and Windows now indicates that they open with Reader, which isn't right.

Where it says "Open With" under the General tab, you can click "Change" and re-select Excel as the default app to open

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shloimypt wrote:

Relax, they weren't converted to PDF.

You can tell by right clicking ANY of them and choosing "Properties". You'll see there that they're STILL .xls or .xlsx files. The "association" has changed and Windows now indicates that they open with Reader, which isn't right.

Where it says "Open With" under the General tab, you can click "Change" and re-select Excel as the default app to open thim.

See: http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/application-file-icons-change-acrobat.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Sometimes its the simple things that save you from going nuts.

It worked as u said.

Solomon (Shloimy) Mayer MSPT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very helpful. Do I have to this each time an excel is created. Never had to do this in the past.

By resetting my computer to original settings I lost all apps. How do I fix the problem now. You are right it is driving me nuts.

adarsh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to convert PDF into MS Word, it ask me to sign up for Adobe and pay monthly charge. Is that the way to do so. Never had to do this in the past. Thanks for the help/

adarsh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 14, 2017 Oct 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was never provided free by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi    This doesnt' work for me.   I have Microsoft 365 on my Mac to accommodate the system of someone I contract to.   Some Excel docs are automatically saved as PDFs and the Excel disappears.  I can't then edit the content.  Very frustrating!   When I right click there is no option for 'Properties'.   Where it says 'Open With' there is not option to 'change'.  Can you help please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also need an answer to this question. Since updating to Windows 10, anything sent to me through email from anyone gets turned to a pdf file. I can't fix things and need some guidance! Please Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where it says "Open With" under the General tab, you can click "Change" and re-select Excel as the default app to open this = NOPE this did not work. There is no excel file extension to pick from. It's just not there anylonger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for my first one but on the others excel is no longer on the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did the first one and it worked great but on the others excel has disappeared from the choices?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This resolution is not working. Microsoft has jumped on my pc twice, with no fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines