• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any numerals typed after period (cents), always revert to two zeros

Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In reference to T1-2021, PDF fillable/saveable Federal Worksheet. 5000-d1-fill-21e.pdf

Line 10, ‘Add lines 6 to 9’.

Any numerals typed after period (cents), always reverts to two zeros, and will never save with any other numerals. 

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 22.001.20085

Document Extensions:

This document contains interactive form fields.

You can save data typed into this form.

You can add comments and markups to this document.

You can digitally sign this document.

You can attach files to this document. 

TOPICS
Mac , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does you have a question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does you have an answer as for why it happens, and how to prevent it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be that a script in the form does do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you personally tried filling  out that particular line (Line 10) of the T1-2021, PDF fillable/saveable Federal Worksheet. 5000-d1-fill-21e.pdf, yourself? By typing any numbr, but zeros in the cents column, and seeing if your digits remain, or the numbers automatically become zeros? 

I just tried it on a Sony laptop running the most recent Windows 10, a brand new install of 64 bit Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, and a fresh download of the form. Any other number for cents on Line 10, automatically becomes two zeros.

I then tried a fresh install of the newest Adobe Acrobat Reader DC on my third Mac, and the form.

The same problem happens. 

I was just hoping that someone could bother an experiment with the same line, on the same form, just to confirm that there's a problem with the form, and not how I've set up Reader.

Looks like I'll have to contact Canada Revenue Agency, about the apperent problem with that form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see also the zeros in the cents column. It is not a issue of Acrobat Reader or Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many federal forms are set to round to cents amount automatically to compy with their process.  I don't think there is really anything to be done to "fix" the issue as it is likely has been coded to do this intentionally.

I suspect the Revenue Agency will confirm this for you.

Always with gratitude.
Máia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using these fillable PDF forms for the past six years or so. Both with work sheets that are not set in, and sheets that do get set in. All told, probably 30 sheets or so, each yeasr. This is the first time that I've ever had a problem. And I've never encountered automatic rounding off in the cents column. 

Time to play phone roulette with the CRA. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just off the phone with the CRA. Had about an hour wait, and once we got going, a few more waiting periods. They never admitted there was a problem. Just to simply not worry about it, and type the correct amount on the official form. I stated that if there’s a problem with that particular line, on that particular form, what’s to say it it won’t happen on other forms, and it’s not noticed. 

I also did chat roulette, while waiting for the call to be answered. Their recommendation, don’t bother downloading the form, just do it online. 

Anyway, I just tried Apples’ Preview App, on my laptop. Downloaded a fresh PDF, and used it to fill out the form. Unfortunately, the PDF does not render the digits on the lines correctly, as can be viewed by attachment. But lo & behold, it also does not change the entered cents on line 10. 

So perhaps it is a Reader problem after all.

Or, a combination of Reader, and the form. 

Obviously, something is not jiving. Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 13.51.54.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another experiment on the Mac.

This time I downloaded another brand new form, and tried the Safari browser.

Same problem as Preview, with the numbers not in the correct space.

But, notice that zeros didn’t magically appear in the cents column of Line 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do NOT use Apple Preview for this!

It corrupts PDF forms simply by opening them, and can't handle this special type of PDF form (XFA) correctly at all. Use only Adobe software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For starters, every fresh download of the form, is always opened with the latest rendition of Reader. 

Also, there is no Apple 'Preview' on the Sony with Windows 10. As previously mentioned, I downloaded a fresh copy of the form, and updated Reader, and still had the very same problem. 

And after doing a few more tests, I'm beginning to firmly believe that the problem is Reader.

Hopefully the attachments provided will show what transpires trying different programs. 

Unfortunately, other than Reader, they do not fill the line, correctly.

But every one of them do not automatically replace the correct digits, with zeros. 

As with Safari, both Brave and Vivaldi, do not.

I also downloaded PDF Reader Pro Lite, which also did not. 

I probably should mention, once again, that every test was performed with a fresh download of the form, which was not previously opened with any other program.

My last test was extremely interesting.  

With another fresh copy of the form, I started at the top, and typed 11447.27, on every line of the first two pages. I used the Tab key every time, to move to the next line. Notice what happened on certain lines. 

Automatically, the 27 cents, became 00 cents.11,447.27 pg.2.jpg11,447.27 pg.1.jpgPDF Reader Pro Lite.jpgVivaldi..jpgBrave..jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like the fields which are supposed to be the sum of other fields are set to show the result in full dollars. Didn't you report it to the organization that created the form and they said it's fine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned some 6 hours ago, I was on the phone, and had used the online chat, for the Canada Revenue Agency. https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency.html

Both personal strongly reiterated, that they have absolutely no problems filling in the cents column with any amount other than two zeros, move on to the next line, and have the amount in the cents column remain as they had originally typed it.

Clearly there is an obvious problem with Reader, when it replaces other numbers with two zeros.

And yet, I've been unsuccessful having any other program do it.

"Seems like the fields which are supposed to be the sum of other fields are set to show the result in full dollars."

This is not what is supposed to happen, and has never happened before.

The CRA goes right to the penny, when it comes to filling out every tax form.

If two zeros are automatically added by Reader, when they should not be, but not with any other program, I highly doubt the other programs are not working correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I got the same results as you did testing it in multiple version of Acrobat and Reader, so either it's a bug that has existed for more than a decade without anyone else noticing it, or something is wrong with the file itself. What you're saying about it needing to be exact down to the penny does make sense... I would try to contact them again and get to someone who can reproduce the issue.

The most important thing is to make sure they're using the same application as you are, and not viewing it inside a browser window or some other third-party viewer.

I do find it annoying when files like this have a field where you're supposed to sum up (or whatever mathematical operation) other fields in the file. Why can't they just automate that step, and save you the hassle, and the risk of making mistakes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, the form for 2020, 5000-D1 Worksheet was different, so I’m not able preform exactly the same test. PDF fillable/saveable 5000-d1-fill-20e.pdf

But I did fill in Lines 4 and 7, which sort of corresponded with the 2001 form, and there weren't any changes made.

Perhaps the revised form has been corrupted, and the CRA refuses to acknowledge that fact, as a replacement would be late in the game since filing date is at the end of April. The cost could also be cost prohibitive.

I'm okay to live with this problem on the worksheets, and try to remember to type the correct sum in the appropriate lines on the official forms.

I just hope that this doesn't crop up on any other forms, especially the official ones, that are required to be sent in. A problem with them, would render the PDF fillable/saveable forms, absolutely useless.Taxable amount of eligible dividends (specify).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines