• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Appearance of the letter"l"on a logo does not render correctly on PDF

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a logo created in illustrator that has two lowercase l's. The logo is placed in Indesign and then a PDF is created. The "l" look different than the other letters on the PDF, sometimes thicker or thinner depending on what percentage it is viewed. When you zoom in, they look fine. I tried to make the paths a compound path which was a suggested fix. This worked inconsistently. I also read that you can set your viewing preference in acrobat to have enhanced viewing. This wont work because I do not control how every user views the PDF. Any other ideas on how to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

I wasn't clear, I see. I meant this is characteristic of flattening transparency - so DON'T do that. Don't flatten transparency and don't outline fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is characteristic of outlining text rather than keeping fonts, which include "hints" for accurate screen display. Or, flattening transparency before, or as part of, making the PDF. Do neither of these things, if you want it to look nice on screen, would be my advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice.  I tried that and it actually made it worse. I cannot keep it as a font because it is a logo that was provided as vector art in illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean it was already outlined before you got it? if so, find out the font used to make it, and use the original font in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will look into that. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What did you try, by the way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I flattened the transparency when making the PDF out of indesign. It is odd because the logo is used on many pages and in different sizes and some look better than others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't clear, I see. I meant this is characteristic of flattening transparency - so DON'T do that. Don't flatten transparency and don't outline fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wendy, 

Just wondered if you ever came across a fix for this? I have a company logo that has done the exact same thing (same letter!) for years and it's freaking out everyone who views PDF proofs (even though it prints just fine). I know it's just a glitch in Acrobat because if you zoom in it appears fine. Just wondered if you had any luck. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. I can't believe the only advise is to not outline fonts or to expect other users to turn off a preference! There are lots of times when I have to outline fonts. The answer is really, really simple - in any shape that has only four points (the lower part of a lower case i, a lower case L or an upper case I) simply add an extra point anywhere along the path. That way, Acrobat no longer sees it as a line and therefore doesn't try to enhance it. You haven't changed the shape or destroyed any one's precious design, just let Acrobat know that this rectangle isn't a line

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Catharine, thank you so much for posting your fix for this perennial problem. Just tested and it works perfectly.

This has caused issues for so many years. Reading all the suggestions of 'never turn type into outlines' while researching this makes me wonder how close some commenters really are to the practicalities of design work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, old thread and still am reopening it.

Now in 2023, I am to convert an html to pdf file using the adobe acrobat web browser extension.

The ONLY thing that remains without any livable options, still, are the "l" letters.

They render bold, however NOT in the preview but after printing the document to pdf.

I see people making workarounds, I want a simple straightforward fix for it.

NO settings exist in the preferences are offered for this problem.

I have tried multiple web browsers, Google Chrome, Edge, nothing.

I am not to pay for a full product for such little feature.

I would really like it to be short sweet and simple, and no twerking neither coding involved. Please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Allow access to file URLs" seem to have been my fix thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines