Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Applying 9.1.2 to existing admin install point

Jun 11, 2009 Jun 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to patch my existing admin install point of Adobe Reader 9.1.1 to 9.1.2 but get this error:

The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program.  Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on yoru computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch.

I get the same error on my PC when I double click the msp file

This is the msi log from when I tried to patch the existing admin install of 9.1.1:

MSI (c) (00:58) [16:18:02:876]: Final Patch Application Order:
MSI (c) (00:58) [16:18:02:876]: Other Patches:
MSI (c) (00:58) [16:18:02:876]: Unknown\Absent: {AC76BA86-7AD7-0000-2550-7A8C40000912} - C:\CustomInstalls\AdobeReader\patches\adobe912.msp
The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer an
d that you have the correct upgrade patch.
C:\CustomInstalls\AdobeReader\acroread.msi
MSI (c) (00:58) [16:18:02:876]: Product: Adobe Reader 9.1.1 - Update '{AC76BA86-7AD7-0000-2550-7A8C40000912}' could not be installed. Error code 1642. Additional information is available in the log file c:\adobe.log.

MSI (c) (00:58) [16:18:02:923]: Product: Adobe Reader 9.1.1 -- Installation failed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this *exact* same problem at our company on over 50 PCs.

"I am trying to patch my existing admin install point of Adobe Reader 9.1.1 to 9.1.2 but get this error:

The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program.  Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on yoru computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch.

I get the same error on my PC when I double click the msp file"

I'll post more details shortly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  I tried creating a new install point of just 9.1.0 and I could update that to 9.1.2.  Of course actually trying to update a 9.1.1 client from that new install point totally hosed the client.

Oh and can't apply the MSP to an installed 9.1.1 client directly either.  Same error.

Anyone have any better ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2009 Jun 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running into the same problem here.  AIP was created with 9.1.1; when I try to apply the 9.1.2 patch it fails with "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because  the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a  different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists  on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch."  The error in the Windows Installer log is 1642.

Looks like the equivalent patch for Reader 8 has the same problem:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/445393?tstart=0

If anyone has a fix, I'd love to hear about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I initally had that problem.  What I ended up doing was creating a new admin install point with the 9.1.0 msi file.  I then patched that install point with the 9.1.2 and, voila, I had a patched version.  Now I just can't get it installed - it keeps telling me there is a current version installed....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to check out the thread about updating to 8.current version. It seems like the patch on that one only works for an older version, not the newer versions. Could be the same is happening here.

I was having a similar problem. I was able to update the admin share (msiexec /a shared.msi /p AdbeRdrUpd912_all_incr.msp) I then told AD to redeploy the package. On restarting test workstations, it said it was installing. On starting Adobe Reader it said "configuring Adobe Reader 9.1.2," but in the about screen, it said it was version 9.1.0. I would get the same error if I tried to apply the patch to the updated but still 9.1.0 installs.

What seemed to work is if I added the 9.1.2 install as new software package, to be installed as an upgrade to 9.1.0, removing 9.1.0 before installing 9.1.2. I have not had any problems since.

What surprisingly did not work was installing the patch on a 9.1.0 workstation and then moving the files in the "setup files" folder to the admin share. The patch did not touch those files and that just reinstalled 9.1.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try installing 9.1.2 as a new package and see where that gets me. Thanks.

I'll also take a look at the version 8 thread. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe please fix your patch to properly detect your own product!

This is 100% an error in the 9.1.2 patch. As promised here are more details:

What works:

1. Fresh install of Adobe 9.1.0. > Install 9.1.1 .msp. > Install 9.1.2 .msp.  OR
  2. Apply the 9.1.2 patch to the Adoble 9.1.0 installer, (msiexec /p <9.1.2.msp> /a <9.1.0.msi>) Fresh install.

What does NOT work:

50+ PCs on a corporate network were silently and remotely installed with Adobe Reader 9.1.0 minus Adobe Air with the 9.1.1 patch included. (msiexec /p <9.1.1.msp> /a <9.1.0.msi>) The updated .msi was then customized with the Adobe Customization Wizard 9 to silently accept the EULA, silently install, etc. Some of the steps in the process were followed from here:  (but not all)

http://www.vatofknow.com/archives/249

When you try to install the 9.1.2 patch to these systems, the following error message is displayed:

"The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program.  Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on yoru computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch."

So it's pretty simple: The product checking built into the 9.1.2 patch is simply NOT detecting the above mentioned 9.1.0 + 9.1.1 install. My guess is that the 9.1.2 patch is looking for a specific CLSID in the registry. And that CLSID is not written when reader 9.1.0 + 9.1.1 is installed via the above method.

Adobe please fix your patch to properly detect your own freaking product!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What seemed to work is if I added the 9.1.2 install as new software package, to be installed as an upgrade to 9.1.0, removing 9.1.0 before installing 9.1.2. I have not had any problems since.    

Not a bad workaround, but the downside is the time required - your clients have to uninstall 9.1.0 and install 9.1.2.  If the MSP worked, your clients could just replace existing files with the updated ones included in the patch.

LOL, agreed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2009 Jun 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JonathanH_HUHS wrote:

LOL, agreed!

QFT. This took me the better part of two hours to figure out. Not fun when I've got a bunch of other crap to work on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2009 Jun 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any fixes / updates from Adobe on this yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, my point only applies to the Mac version of Reader, which has its own issues...sorry to muddy the waters

guys:

Check to see if you have the file system is case-sensitive.

For a while Adobe has had problems w/ case-sensitive HFS+ with CS (Creative Suite) products...now it appears that the same sloppy coding has leaked into Adobe Reader...even though there's no warnings on the download page and their installer will proceed on top of this volume without checking/testing it.  Can't be 100% certain it is the same problem for you, but check...

The reason this is taking many of us by suprise is that Reader has historically been able to work w/o issue on case-sensitive volumes for me going back to 10.4.

I've uninstalled every peice of the app, the prefs, the apps support folder, repaired prefs, reinstalled the original 9.1, then applied 9.1.1, again repaired prefs,  and consistently fail at 9.1.2 install.

Please report back if you have the same issues!

see also:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/447986;jsessionid=030B1F4A6BEDC405AB42263D9F518EF4.node0?tstart=0

BTW: for those struggling to install 9.1.2:  if you can, test to see if you're able to open the application preferences please.  Seems that the problem may  extend to the application being unable to open its own preferences--if they fail to open due to an  "internal error" that seems to be related to the file system to and the  program not using case sensitive call to open it's own components?

PPC 10.5.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the latest patches from Adobe are screwed up this way. The Acrobar (Pro/Standard) 8.1.6 patches fail to apply to an 8.1.5 admin install point but do apply to the 8.1.3 one.

This is completely unexpected since previously their updates were incremental and therefore absolutely required that the previous version be used to apply the latest patch (e.g. could NOT go from 8.1.3 to 8.1.5 without first applying 8.1.4).

Applying the reader 9.1.2 to a 9.1.0 rather than a 9.1.1 install point works - *HOWEVER* the customization wizard is not able to open the resulting package for customization!

Furthermore, previously created transforms for 9.1.1 do not work on the 9.1.2 MSI!

This is a serious screw up on Adobe's part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same error with the 9.1.1 patch when it came to install the fresh MSI, from the install point. I found the only way around this was at the command line run the installation as a repair not just an install

e.g

msiexec /f <AdminInstallPoint> TRANSFORMS="<TransformsFile>"

This only worked on 9.1 > 9.1.1 however, it does not seem to work for 9.1.1 > 9.1.2

Also I just noticed that in the add remove program list 9.1.2 is listed as 9.1.1 which seems like a big flaw to me, but it could be the patch was not successfully applied to the MSI and I need to go back and check my work so far. Grr adobe, Grr. Sort your apps out, but please don't release another patch, we are having headaches keeping up with this one!

As an aside this is generally patched via Group Policy for us so it isn't a massive problem but could prove tricky in the future for more patches.

!!EDIT!!

I have found the the comand line above works when the MST file from wise package studio is used. It seems the adobe Customization wizard does not work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I can say that i'm "glad" I'm not the only one havign this problem.  Not really it would be nicer if Adobe would just make their patches correctly.

Like a few others have said this isn't a major problem for a home user that just has to uninstall once and install the new version.  But when you're responsible for updating this on 10, 25, 100, 5000 PC's whatever your environment consists of its quite frustrating trying to keep these up to date when the patch releases are poor quality.

At this point I've almost decided to create a custom action in the msi to uninstall 9.1 (Just in caee we have a few that haven't been upgraded) and 9.1.1 then install 9.1.2.  We're moving quite a bit of stuff into a new DFS structure so the timing works out.  Goign forward though I hope that Adobe fixes their patches, especially if they are planning monthly releases.

If anybody has any better ideas on how they're handling these please let the rest of the forum know.  Hopefully Adobe can fix their own products if they're planning on doing "patch tuesdays."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. The fix was to start with 9.1, create a new install point and then patch it with 9.1.2. I then deployed with Group Policy, ensuring I added the newly patched version to the same GPO that had the 9.1.1 and, using the advanced settings, telling it to update 9.1.1 (which removes that version and installs the new one). I have now successfully installed it on over 100 (and counting) computers with nary a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems the way to do it (GPO set to upgrade all previous versions). I'm just fretting about some of the installs I have to supply via SMS to remote workers. I HOPE, that the MSI will work, as it is just going over the top of Reader 9.

But you never can tell.

Roll on the next patch and subsequent forum posts. -_-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2009 Jun 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone had luck getting updating an Administrative Install Point of Acrobat Pro 9?  It seems most of the workarounds here relate to Acrobat Reader.

Here's what I've done:

-Begin with new Admin Install point of Acrobat Pro 9.0.0

-Successfully apply 9.1.0 Update

-Successfully apply 9.1.1 Update

Applying the 9.1.2 update fails with the message already mentioned in this thread.  I'm going to try applying the 9.1.2 patch to earlier revisions of my Install Point but I'm not having high hopes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way so far to do this is to install the MSP to the 9.1 install

point NOT the 9.1.1

I am unsure if this is a problem with the 9.1.2 MSP or the 9.1.1 MSP,

either way it's a big flaw in the update from adobe.

As I have said previously the best way for me was to create a new Admin

install point from the 9.1.exe (without air) then use the 9.1.2 MSP and

then use the customization tool, then use the new package to create a

new GPO for testing, with uninstall previous versions set.

Took a while but it will be worth it

However I haven't tried this for Acrobat 9 yet. We don't have many users

of full acrobat pro, but everyone has reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, that worked:

-Created brand new 9.0.0 Admin Install Point

-Applied the 9.1.0 patch

-Applied the 9.1.2 patch

Now I'm going to attempt to use the Customization Wizard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck,

I recommend you look at the instructions on www.vatofknow.com/archives/249 for some good suggestions to pull out of the registry, and don't neglect the Language and dictionary customization in the registry (HKCU>SOFTWARE>ADOBE>**PRODUCT**>9.0>ORIGINALS and >SPELLING

I had to pull those from my current build.

But like i said, Good luck   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These solution work, I agree.  The problem is that it shouldn't be that involved and I, along with many others, don't want to create new completely patched installs and full deployment packages for each of these patches.  Other ompanies release msp based patches and don't have this problem, why can't Adobe figure their own products out???!!

Not to put anybody down but if you're job role is just doing software deployments then this might not be bad, but when you're in somewhat of a jack of all trades position it gets tough to keep up when you have to reinvent the circle everytime updates are put out.  It would be nice to just apply the patch to our current admin install point, test it, then tell Group Policy to redeploy the software.  This is also quicker for the end user.  Doing an "upgrade" GP install takes 2 -3 times longer. They have to wait for the uninstall of the old version then the install of the new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a very good point that can't be understated. It did take me the better part of a day to get this package put together, tested and deployed. It was deeply frustrating and I had other things to contend with ,like putting out a quicktime update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just going to point this out for everyone here... this stupid patch breaks "Display in Browser" as well. I think I've found the reason... If you check the registry,

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\acrobat\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Acrobat\AcroRd32.exe"

But if you look in your Program files, there's no Acrobat folder. It's reader.So change it to...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\acrobat\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe"

Using the Customization Wizard [If you went from AIP 9.1.0 -> 9.1.2] You should be able to edit in the registry key.

Not sure if it works yet. but it's one of the bigger discrepancies I've found. Anyone else got any ideas?

Edit:

Yeah, that fixes it. My suggestion? Edit in the registry key via transform, then redeploy via GPO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2009 Jun 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya I ran into the same issue with viewing a PDF in a browser. I thought I was good to push 9.1.2 out to our organization and then I find out pdf's wont open properly in browsers. Now i need to edit a regestry key.

Adobe Reader is getting very frustrating to work with

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines