• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I disable the floating page overview numbnail that appears on the right?

Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to turn off the small overview of the entire page that appears on the right side in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.

I don't find it useful, often covers up the text that I'd like to read when I've maximized the document to take up the entire screen's width. How could I stop this from appearing?

Floating page overview.png

Thank you for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Hello everyone,

This Floating overview thumbnail appears when "Single Page View" is selected under the Acrobat>View>Page Display setting. 

To disable this floating page overview, change "Single Page View" to  "Enable Scrolling."

This will bring it back to normal mode, and thing floating thumbnail will disappear.

Thanks,

Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what worked for me using Adobe Reader DC on Windows 7 (yes, I know it's obsolete for internet use, but it works).

• Go to Edit > Preferences > Page Display.
  • At the bottom of the page is a section called Reference XObjects View Mode.
  • In the dropdown box next to Show reference XObject Targets, select Never.
  • Don't forget to click on OK.

The thumbnail disappears; you don't need to restart or anything.

Please let me know if this works for anyone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really like your method. Thank you.

With a document open, it allowed me to View > Show/Hide > Toolbar Items > Show Page Display Tools > Uncheck Fit to Width Scrolling.

So now I have zero page display tools checked. 

Also, at the top of the "Page Display" Preferences page, 
Default Layout and Zoom, I selected "Page Layout: Single Page Continuous" and Zoom: Fit Width", instead of default. 

I also made sure that within "Documents" underPreferences, the top box under Open Settings - "Restore last view settings when reopening documents" was checked.

I think that should really help, too. 

I clicked OK for each setting change (OCD) just to be sure, and once finished, I closed Acrobat, reopened and well, that should cover it. 

Thank you, chiropterist, for your heads-up about the Reference XObjects View Mode setting.  Thank you! Thank you!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

This Floating overview thumbnail appears when "Single Page View" is selected under the Acrobat>View>Page Display setting. 

To disable this floating page overview, change "Single Page View" to  "Enable Scrolling."

This will bring it back to normal mode, and thing floating thumbnail will disappear.

Thanks,

Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it does not. Mine is set to that and this infuriating feature continues to apear. How many years will this indie company need to solve this problem? 50??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2023 Dec 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is incorrect.  I do not have "Single Page View" selected.  Instead, I have "Enable Scrolling" selected.  The floating page overview still pops up at random when I mistakenly hit the scrolling wheel in my mouse.  I want to disable it altogether.  Please allow us to make it go away permanently unless we enable it somehow.  Right now, there seems to be no way to do that.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of these solutions work. It's insane. I went to preferences, clicked the dropdown box next to Show reference XObject Targets, to Never, then I changed Single Page View to  Enable Scrolling, saved and closed the PDF, then reopend it and the floating mini preview pane (or whatever Adobe calls it - I call it Annoying) immediately popped up again.  Surely, there must be a way to make this thing go away????? Its not needed & not helpful. And trying to click the tiny white X in the upper right corner never works. Comeon Adobe, fix this.

* sorry for venting. I'm just frustrated. Everything used to be so much easier before, back with Adobe Professional. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 2 days, it will be 5 years of dicussion of "How disable the floating page overview "numbnail" that appears on the right of screen?". Adobe pays for nothing to employers, if they can't solve it in 5 years. Just add Preference and let people do their jobs with joy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2023 Nov 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is incredible. How is the team of Adobe so incompetent? 5 Years to solve something that a person without any experience with access to the code could solve. Shameless customer service. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried all the methods in this chain and couldn't get them to work. I was just able to get rid of it by clicking the tiny box above the right side scroll up arrow (the cursor will change to a resize icon) which splits the screen, and then making one of the new screens full screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines