• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't add date in a "fill and sign" W-9 document. How do I do this?

Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I looked in the previous questions and there is no workaround provided even though Adobe marked the question as answered.

I need to fill out the W-9 and the date section is not fillable. When I sign all it adds is my signature without a date and there does not seem to be any "Type" tool that will allow me to add a date to the date section. So how do I get a date on there?

This is ridiculous. Ive now spent 30 minutes trying to add a date to the damn form supplied by the IRS. WHY? WHY? WHY?

Can someone at least suggest some other software that will allow me to fill, sign and DATE the forms supplied by IRS?

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Hello mayflyaway,

I just wanted to acknowledge your frustration but at the same time I want to let you know that you can achieve adding date and signature in  just a few seconds with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

Also Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is free and doesn't require a subscription nor a free trial like Hellosign.

To cut to the chase, I would like to take this opportunity to answer your three WHY's by illustrating to you how easy it's done:

• First off, the W-9 PDF form provided by the IRS was creat

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

I have probably a much faster approach to fixing this. Open the web version at https://acrobat.adobe.com. Click the three-dot menu, then click on "Print to file..." Select "Save as PDF." Then, the document may be treated as any other normal PDF. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. Happy to read that it helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, we're upset at Adobe because the form is created outside of Adobe, with an error, that is locked. And the guy with the workaround did a horrible job. Got it. Thanks... Just making sure I'm on the right wagon. 

Thank you for this @ls_rbls. I needed it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @ls_rbls !! saved me today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been moaning about this for over a year. Brilliantly simple workaround, thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're very welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great quick solution and explained very well! You would think Adobe Acrobat could also be a little more abstract with their language when it comes to signing docs. Like the signature tool cool have a little tip or something that says, "Add signature, initials, date, or other information.". Instead of just implying you can only sign, or add initials.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the time to explain and share! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great workaround! Thank you! Have been struggling with this one all day. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS WALK THROUGH!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my goodness! You are a genius! I have been so frustrated with Adobe and W9 forms. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The accepted solution is not working for me. I have a drawn signature saved in Acrobat. The only options I am given by Reader are to insert my prepared signature image or to type initials only. I can't use the Sign tool to add a date on the form. Also, Adobe tries to sign me up for a paid monthly service. I'm already a Creative Cloud subscriber. I'm not going to pay more to edit a PDF with Reader. Something isn't right here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind, I found that I can type a date with the initials setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and why is that solution designed in such a way? Better and more intuitive design is needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned in my intial reply, this is not a solution , and this is also not a design behavior of Adobe Acrobat.

This is a workaround because the original PDF form was designed incorrectly by the IRS using Adobe Live Cycle Designer, not Acrobat Pro DC.

It seems like they forgot to add the necessary date field that otherwise would allow the users to fill it in appropriately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great work! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work. There is no Add Signature option for me. Only my previously saved signature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to thank you so much for providing a solution to this problem that I have been trying to figure out for almost 3 hours.  And for the person who complained about having to do two steps to get it done, tell him to go purchase Adobe Acrobat and then see if it thinks it is a good solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're very welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you print the file "Microsoft Print to PDF" then save, it creates an editable version of the form. This allows you to use your previously saved signature block and also insert a text field for the date. It wipes the IRS original parameters and allows edits. Do not print to "Adobe PDF" this will retain the IRS protections and the print will fail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great question and answers. The flaw in the IRS document has been driving me crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just used "save as" and saved on the desktop as a PDF. That got rid of all the formatting. Then, I used the text and signature for the document. Hope this helps. I spent hours trying to figure out something. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines