Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Get Adobe Reader DC Continuous Release 2018.011.2005 to Auto-update

New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me.  We have many Windows 10 workstations with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Continuous Release 2018.011.20055 installed with many secutrity vulnerabilities.

1 - the Adobe Acrobat Update Service is set to Automatic and Running.

2 - there is no bUpdater registry entry.

3 - HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Adobe\Adobe ARM\Legacy\Reader\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-AC0F074E4100}]\Mode is set to 3.

4 - HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Adobe\Adobe ARM\Products\{291AA914-A987-4CE9-BD63-AC0A92D435E5}]\Mode is set to 3.

5 - Check in both locations is set to 7.  It has been significantly longer than 7 days since these registry changes were made.

6 - I don't see any restictive settings in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe.

Can someone let me know what else I need to do to get it to auto-update? It would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you by any chance deployed from AIP (Admin Install Point) updated to 2018.011.20055 ?

If yes, any newer patch cannot be installed on this system because Patch is a difference between "base" version of the product and latest (Patch) version, and there is no "base" version on the system(s) in that scenario.

Can you please provide (send me in private message) verbose Updater log file (AdobeARM.log from User Temp folder) to confirm (search this forum for instructions posted many times here)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have confirmed AIP wasn't used.  I have since learned my registry changes to allow auto-update were put into place several weeks ago in this machine.  I logged in this morning, opened Adobe Reader 11.0, verified the version number and then closed it.  Later on today I logged into the machine again and discovered Adode Reader DC installed, it has upgraded.  Does this mean Adobe Reader has to be opened to see the new registry settings to auto-update?  The Adobe Acrobat Update Service can't do it on its own?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sending me Updater log. The log is not verbose. If you have questions in the future, please enable verbose Updater logging - search for iLogLevel registry value in this forum.

Your original question was regarding auto update for already installed Reader DC 2018.011.20055

Now you are describing completely different case - auto upgrade from Reader 11 to Reader DC.

The later case has very different Updater workflow with many conditions, time intervals, User notifications, etc..

We would need verbose Updater log(s) and clear understanding which case you are trying to solve.

Regarding what you mentioned originally-

"5 - Check in both locations is set to 7.  It has been significantly longer than 7 days since these registry changes were made."

This value should be 72 (decimal) , which stands for "check for updates every 72 hours"

7 is allowed, but it leads to Updater downloading update manifests much more often than necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update - after loading Reader I closed it.  I checked again a few minutes later, it has now upgraded to 2019.010.20098 and appears to be working on an additional update.  This is weeks after the registry change to allow auto-update without an update occurring. This appears to show loading Reader after the registry changes is necessary for it to see the new settings, please confirm this.  If launching Reader is required will simply launching it without any further interaction be sufficient?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies, I did get confused.  I've privately just sent you the two verbose logs created when I opened Reader.  This pertains to the original issue, not the second one.  Please let me know why it didn't automatically update.  

Quick question - after making registry changes does it require launching Reader for it to see the changes for it to be able to auto-update?  If so I'll need to include in my script a command to launch Reader after making the registry changes.

I appreciate your assistance with this!

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alan,

Thank you for sending verbose logs. They show what you desribed - Reader got updated automatically.

The reason it did not happen before was that EULA has not been accepted.

Usually when a User installs and launches Reader, the first thing User has to do is to accept EULA.

When Admins deploy Reader, they have an option to register EULA acceptance.

One additional note regarding "Quick question - after making registry changes.." - you do not have to make any registry changes, Default settings is all Updater needs to auto update a product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previous admins made registry changes to prevent auto-update which I had to remove.  Many still wouldn't update so this appears to be the reason.  Is there any way to script acceptance of the EULA?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Reader DC registry path (64bit system) to set EULA accepted-

Per Machine

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\AdobeViewer

Per User

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\AdobeViewer

Set EULA DWORD value to 1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I think I have everything I need. Your help is very appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have one additional related question. I added the EULA acceptance in the registries yesterday but I'm unable to tell whether any installations of Adobe auto-upgraded.  Should adding the EULA Dword cause auto-update?  Or does Reader have to be opened to see the registry change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines