• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open PDFs using IE 10

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2013 Apr 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can still open PDFs I receive as an e-mail attachment.  But suddenly I can no longer open PDFs using IE 10, such as those I find links to after a Google search.  I am using Reader 11.0.02 and IE 10.0.9200.165400.  The failed attempts result in a blank white page with a small box with an "x" inside in the extreme upper left of the blank page.  I've tried Google search troubleshooting.  Made sure that the IE add-on for PDFs was enabled.  Any ideas, other than downloading Firefox?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to repair the installation of Reader or uninstall Reader, then re-install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reinstalled 2 days ago, but did it again just now, and restarted my computer.  Didn't help.  However, thank you for the effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the effort you made. I tried just about everything. I think the problem started when I somehow upgraded to IE 10. I retyped my problems and added in the fixes I tried:

Can't open PDFs using IE 10. I get a blank white page with a little box with an "X" in it in the upper left side of the page. The problem started right about the time that I somehow upgraded to IE 10.

Windows 7

IE 10.0.9200.16540

32 bit

Adobe AIR 3.7.0.1530

Adobe Reader XI 10.0.02 (reinstalled twice over last 3 days)

I've spent about 15 hours following troubleshooting recommendations on the Internet.

I can open PDFs on my hard drive and sent by e-mail.

I ran Repair/Change to the newly-reinstalled Reader.

I've tried opening different PDFs from the Web.

I've tried compatability view.

MacAfee security level is set at medium.

I checked Manage Add-Ons to ensure that the Adobe PDF Reader was enabled. It was. However, I decided to Currently Loaded Add-Ons and Adobe PDF Reader was not listed. Only Adobe PDF Link Help.

I took out my old netbook that has Adobe Reader 8 and IE 8, and was able to open PDFs from the Web.

I looked at, but am too scared to change anything in the Registry, which includes AcroExch.Document, Acro.Exch.Document.7, and Acro.Exch.Document.11.

I tried downloading Firefox from its site, but it hung up at 39% during installation, I got an ad inviting me to buy programs that would fix my registry, and it reset my home page to be Delta Search which McAfee blocked as a dangerous site. It seemed like a scam. So I deleted everything that got loaded from that experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First let me tell you that I do not have any problems viewing online PDF docs in IE10 on Windows 7, for example http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/adobe_reader_reference.pdf

I do not know what is causing your problems, but I am getting a little bit suspicious by your adventure on downloading Firefox.  Are you sure that your system is free of malware?  Firefox will never do any of the things that you described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got it figured out. Thanks.

I went to the Monzilla site and started downloading Firefox. Before the download started it asked if I wanted certain things included. I decided. The download froze at 39% and I cancelled it. When I sorted my programs by date I saw all these other goofy things that had loaded, including changing my home page to some search engine I'd never heard of. I uninstalled all that and reset my home page.

I then decided to pay Adobe to take control of my computer and check out things. 30 minutes later, and running out of options, I reminded the tech that the problem seemed to start about the time IE upgraded itself to IE 10. We decided to replace 10 with 9, and that solved everything. I had seen comments on other forums about problems that people were having with IE 10 and Windows 7, but nobody offered any solutions that worked. So you won't see me upgrading to Windows 8 either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it sorted.

Regarding the IE10 update, you can prevent that in future by http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36512

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2013 Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on a machine.

It only occurs for 1 user however.

If you login as a different user, the problem does not occur.

Disabling the add-on does not force it to open outside the browser either.

Re-installing adobe reader 11 doesn't fix it either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2013 Aug 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blind Billy, I could hug you right now!!  I had the exact same experience you described above.  After working on this issue for countless hours, I was about ready to simply buy a new computer! I finally just uninstalled Internet Explorer 10 and BINGO! I can now read all the .pdf files online that I need to be able to see.

Thanks for taking the time to explain how you fixed the problem.  I'd love to go back to IE10, but I have to be able to see the .pdf files online.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2013 Aug 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The REAL Fix for this issue!  I've been fighting this for months and finally found the answer and a reasonable explanation!

http://superuser.com/questions/561036/unable-to-open-ie-10-in-32-bit-mode

From the article,

"This occurs because the TabProcGrowth registry entry is set to 0, meaning tabs are set to run in the same process as the manager process (64-bit), rather than opening a new process for each tab (32-bit). You can fix this by changing the registry entry here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\TabProcGrowth

Set it to something greater than 0, restart IE, and you should see normal behavior resume (and your add-ons should work again). "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2013 Aug 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Thomas. This worked for me. I searched for days for a real fix!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2013 Sep 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Thomas! Your answer worked for us as well. This has been a common problem and fixing the registry was the only thing that worked. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines