• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't print - Acrobat will only create a .prn file.

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until recently I could easily print any pdf from Acrobat Reader to my wireless Brother printer. Now, even though I explicitly select the printer, Acrobat asks where I want to save a .prn file, and the doc doesn't print.

I don't care about a prn file; I simply want the doc to print, just as it used to. So far I can find no setting or option to fix this issue and restore normal printing. No problems printing Word, Excel, or any other application, only Acrobat pdf; and my wife's PC prints pdfs from Acrobat to the same printer. We are a Window 10 household with a Verizon FiOS WiFi LAN. Can anyone enlighten me on this matter?

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Check the Advanced settings in the print dialog. There should be a check box for print to file. Most likely, that box was inadvertently checked. Uncheck the box and press OK returning you to the print dialog. Printing to the printer (and not to a file) should now be fixed for you.

Please confirm that this resolves the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the Advanced settings in the print dialog. There should be a check box for print to file. Most likely, that box was inadvertently checked. Uncheck the box and press OK returning you to the print dialog. Printing to the printer (and not to a file) should now be fixed for you.

Please confirm that this resolves the problem.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Dov. I did find that box, it was checked, and immediately I was able to again print a pdf from Acrobat. Such a simple fix. I'm sorta embarrased that I couldn't figure that out myself. I have no idea how the Print to File box got checked. That said, "Advanced" is not the first place I might think to look for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines