• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot rename PDF by right click - Crashes File Explorer

New Here ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few weeks ago I received a PDF from a co-worker via email. I dragged the PDF file to my network drive which I have done before. After I dragged it, I went to right click to rename the file, which is my process and it crashed File Explorer. Now as soon as I right click a PDF file, I get the blue circle for a few seconds, then a black screen and I either get kicked out of explorer or if from my desktop, it goes back to the desktop.

I have tried to repair Adobe Reader DC, uninstalled and reinstalled and it still won't allow me to right click a PDF. I have no issues with any other file type.

Can anyone tell me what could be corrupt? It is Windows 10 OS.

Thanks

Debra

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 3@ngelz 

Hope you are doing well.

As per the issue description that you are trying to rename a PDF file but it is crashing file explorer. Would you mind sharing few details to understand the issue better?

1. Try to put the file in a local drive and then check if you can rename it.

2. Is this with all the PDFs or with the PDFs received from the co-worker?

3. If possible, could you attach the file here?

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Harsh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harsh,

Thank you for replying. My answers are in bold.

1. Try to put the file in a local drive and then check if you can rename it.

I have moved a PDF to the local desktop and as soon as I right click, I get the blue circle for a few seconds, a black screen flashes and I am back to the desktop. I created a new PDF on the local desktop and same behavior. 

2. Is this with all the PDFs or with the PDFs received from the co-worker? This is with all PDF's, but other file types are fine. Even if I select a PDF and do SHIFT+F10 which should bring up the Right Click menu, it does the same behavior. 

3. If possible, could you attach the file here? I can not attach any files as they are legal documents. I can attach the one I created. 

It appears something is corrupt with the PDF file extension, I just can't figure out what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the workflow you have told, it looks like that it is not an issue with Acrobat reader DC because you are trying to rename a PDF and the affected application is 'file explorer' which is a windows application.  

You can make sure of that by uninstalling the Acrobat Reader then trying to rename the PDF.

Thanks,

Harsh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes sir,

I have uninstalled Adobe Reader and did a fresh install.

I was just hoping someone had an answer to where PDF settings are corrupt so I can fix. This just pertains to PDF files so I am assuming there is a setting in File Explorer pertaining to PDF files. What would make Explorer crash with just the extension of PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know this is a few years old, but I am having the same issue with one of my users.  Did you come up with any fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines