• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot save document settings preferences

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2023 Apr 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using adobe reader v 2023.001.20064.

I'd like to save my preferences, for example permanently closing the left toolbar and not auto-opening the bookmarks bar, but even by checking the options on the preferences menu (see attached file) every time I open a document (even the same document), these bars reopen.

I don't want the visual pollution every time I have to check a pdf.

I've tried several solutions (registry editing, file moving, etc) but none worked.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , View PDF , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, only mor convoluted. I'm admin for lots of devices in our domain. only some of which cannot save preferendes (all on win10 with Reader Version 2022.003.20314, please don't tell me to update, the problem has existed on only some devices and for several versions, updating did not help an i have no reason to expect that it will now).

On some devices Acrobat Reader DC just refuses to savesettings. After lots of analysis we found tht changeing the Registry values manually does work as a quick fix for some settings. Although ofc does not change the root problem. 

After analysis via procmon, we found that Acrobat Reader runs mostly normally, but refuses to write preferences to the registry, while not being in any way stopped from doing so by missing acces rights or any anytivirus software, it just doesn't perfrom the action to change certain registry keys pertaining to the Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Minor help for OPs problem, the Quick Fix for not saving the right Toolbar and removing the Flag for reopening documents after the crash:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\AVGeneral]
Default is expanded Toolbar = "Expanded"
change to collapsed for a default collapsed toolbar
"aDefaultRHPViewMode_L"="Collapsed"
Along with adding this setting to actually save the option
"bRHPSticky"=dword:00000001

To remove the Notification flag jsut tell Acrobat Reader you exited normally with this one

bNormalExit = dword:00000001

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your comments!

Only problem is that there is no "aDefaultRHPViewMode_L" on the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\AVGeneral] path.

"bRHPSticky" is there, alright. But the flagging is the least problematic function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the entry usually doesn't exist, but creating it does fix the issue, it's the control value for the right sidebar that for sme reason is not created automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uhmm, understood!
I tried here the solutions you suggested, but no dice.
Maybe I'm not creating the new registry correctly. Would you mind providing a step by step?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click the Adobe Shortcut / Select Properties / Compatibility Tab -> Uncheck compatibility

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same (general) problem here.  Adobe Acrobat Pro, mass licence, 2023.008.20470, auto updates on, win 11 pro. Every time the program is closed, all changes to preferences are lost. I tried both with open documents, and with no document open. Problem exists for almost a year now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Found the solution elsewhere: the program had compatibility mode enabled in .exe properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines