• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Document could not be printed

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2009 Jul 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unable to print numerous different PDFs from a corporate website. Each file has similar header, images, length, appearance. Opening the files online I receive the message "Insufficient data for an image" but the images do appear after I scroll down a bit. They disappear if I scroll up again.  Try to print and this message appears " Document could not be printed". I have tried saving and reopening in Reader 9.1, also printing to file and printing as an image. Nothing works. I think the two issues are connected.  I have seen similar discussions on this and other forums but they seem to lead nowhere.  Can anyone help please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 187 Replies 187
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2010 Sep 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously R.P.?! Are you an Adobe rep?

Then why Adobe website says otherwise for Adobe Reader 9?

"Adobe Reader software is the global standard for electronic document  sharing. It is the only PDF file viewer that can open and interact  with  all PDF documents. Use Adobe Reader to view, search, digitally sign,  verify, print, and collaborate on Adobe PDF        files."

- http://www.adobe.com/products/reader/

and why are there so many support pages on Adobe website about Problems Printing Documents from Adobe Reader?!

Why Adobe doesn't come clean and say you can't print from Reader?

E.g.,

- Printing Tips

http://www.adobe.com/support/reader/

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/332/332720.html

- Printing Problems, Adobe Reader

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/315/315727.html#main_Can%27t%20print%20any%20PDF%20file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok are you printing a microsoft document into pdf or you are taking physical printout from a printer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2010 Sep 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to print a PDF document on a physical printer.

As I mentioned, regardless of the PDF document I open, and printer I choose (inkjet or laserjet), it fails.

I can easily print using any other application. I can print the same PDF document using Mac OS's Preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try printing with acrobat trial

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

No probs at all now for some while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

R.P Singh wrote:

try printing with acrobat trial

You must be a troll, right?

You can't be serious.

Read this thread. People with Acrobat Reader AND people with Acrobat Professional have this problem.

People with Mac OS and Win XP and Win Vista and Win7 have this problem.

People with Acrobat 8 and Acrobat 9.

People with nose rings and people with bleached hair.

Those on OS X can print the same documents without issue from the built-in free OS X "Preview" application on the same machine that cannot print them from Adobe Acrobat Professional 9.3

So printing with an Acrobat trial version won't change that.

Adobe has a problem here. It's probably font related somehow, because printing "as an image" works, but of course that rasterizes all of the type, making it a poor solution, especially for professionals with clients that have expectations of quality work.

It's sad and embarrassing that a college kid with an old MacBook could come into my office and print a PDF with Preview I created on my brand new Mac Pro but that I cannot print using Acrobat Professional.

I did not pay over 2,000 dollars for software that can't even print it's own native file format. Well, actually, I did.

But I won't make that mistake ever again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben,

On my machine, this happens even when I check the "Print as image" check box.

Here I put a summary of the problem for people who don't have the time to read all the posts.

In Summary:

On Mac OS X, having Adobe Reader 9.3, when I try to print a PDF document on a printer I get the following errors:

"The document could not be printed."

and then,

"There were no pages selected to print."

This happens,

• with ANY pdf document that I open, whether they are created with Adobe products or other applications;
  • with any selection of pages (all, current page, or a range of pages);
  • regardless of having the "Print as image" checkbox checked or unchecked;
  • on different printers (inkjet or laserjet, Lexmark and Epson);
  • on older versions of Adobe Reader 9 as well (I haven't tried it on Adobe Reader 8.x);

The same documents can be printed using the Preview application on Mac OS X.

Different people experience a subset of this problem, but the fact that I cannot print regardless of the document, the print as image option, the printer type or the page selection tells me that the problem is not related to these. This is a nasty bug and may have something to do with some Adobe settings being messed up. Since there is practically no way to completely uninstall Adobe on a Mac (Thank You Adobe for being so careless) I cannot tell whether a clean install would solve this issue. I tried removing every footprint of Adobe from my machine two times (from system files, property lists, etc) and installing the reader again, but the problem still exists.

I hope this helps. Does anyone from Adobe care about this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2010 Oct 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just hit this problem printing tickets purchased from Eurostar.

If you accept the option to print your tickets at home Eurostar deliver them as a PDF.

When I try to print them on my Mac (Snow Leopard, Acrobat Pro 9.4.0), I receive the same two error messages reported above

and

followed by

"A drawing error occured"

These tickets print fine with Preview, and I can print other PDF files with Acrobat OK.

These tickets also print fine with Acrobat Reader 9 on Windows 7.

It looks as though there is some problem with the Eurostar-generated PDFs.

Possibly an error in the generated PDF which Preview and the Windows version of Acrobat Reader tolerate, but which Acrobat Pro on the Mac can't handle.

How can I determine whether this is a bug in Acrobat Pro (Mac version) or whether the Eurostar-generated PDF is in error?

The document properties show

PDF producer: iText 2.0.7 by Iowagie.com

Application: JasperReports

Message was edited by: digamma, to correct a typo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What next? I attempted to print from Adobe Acrobat Standard edition. I tried with Foxit, PDF Complete. Again, NO JOY! I think what is going on here is that when Acrobat creates the file, it's corrupt and the reason that Adobe doesn't want to admit to the problem is it will set up a MAJOR public relations problem and confidence problem in their product. So rather than do the right thing, Adobe chooses to ignore the problem, and either fix it behind the scene and have a lot of pissed off people, or they just have no clue.

Time to step up to the plate and approach the problem head on and fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2010 Sep 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I ran into the same issue with a client I was helping.

Upon clicking print in Acrobat 9 pro, the print dialog goes away and I get two errors:

The Document could not be printed.

and

There were no pages selected to print.

no errors in console were produced.

The work arround I found was to select "advanced" in the print window and then check "Print As Image."  I found as long as that box was checked the trouble document could print.

First I tried removing/reinstalling CS4, repairing premisisons, and reloading print drivers with no success. I also tried it on two seperate macs running differnet OS versions (10.5.8 and 10.6.4) as well as differend minor versions of Acrobat 9 pro (9.3.4 and 9.0.0.). The problem/solution were reproducable on both machines.

I also found that Preview.app had no probem printing any of the trouble documents.

Hope this Helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2010 Sep 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot print ANY pdf document using Adobe Reader and I always get the two errors:

Preview.app prints the documents just fine.

I think it is silly, and interesting to observe that Adobe doesn't say anything about it.

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you provide the exact steps that you are following?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2010 Sep 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question to you all. Did you try registering your Adobe product?

Remember that little message that appeared after you first ran the Reader after install, telling you to Regsiter your Adobe software. Well if you kept clicking the remind me later then you will notice that some features will stop working until you register.

I was havng this same error today with Adobe Acrobat Pro, till I remember that small quirk that would occur whenever I don't register Adobe products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, make sure the product is registered didn't make a difference. Nice try by Adobe to make sure there is no bootleg users out there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Have not registered Adobe Reader, it all works now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2010 Oct 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might have just found the source of the problem. Read this:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/392791

It says:

We have been running all our Macs for years with a case sensitive file system which is one of the options on the Mac OS X installer. All our applications work fine except Adobe Reader. I have asked and complained to Adobe for a year or two. Whenever we try to print it just says that "Adobe Reader cannot print this document". We would use Preview but we use forms and digital signatures that Preview can't handle. We end up having to copy all our PDF files to a Windows system to print. This is pathetic, especially from Adobe.

I have a case-sensitive file system. Can all of you who have this printing problem confirm if they have a case-sensitive file system as well?

Roozbeh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2010 Oct 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, that's not going to be it for me, because I do not have "case sensitive" formatting on any of my drives.

Good thought, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2010 Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possible Solution...Windows 7 people.

I just had this error pop-up on my PC and my IT (who is genious) was able to quickly fix error by restarting the Print Spooler. Instantanious fix.

Didn't have to download anything didn't have to restart anything (except the spooler).

I guess this is a common issue with Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2010 Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The print spooler issue is a whole other can of worms. That was a Win7 issue in general. I figured out the fix on that myself. Nothing to do with the Adobe problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 26, 2010 Oct 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have been reading the thread here and I have these same problems since July. We got an update to our loan origination system which included the 9.3.3 reader.  Ever since that update nothing has been right.  I have deleted and reinstalled everything from 8.2 to 9.4.  We have installed memory and checked the drivers on our printer.  Nothing seems to help.  When I try to print, I get a blank page.  Other people get the error messages. I don't know what else to do.  Any one have any ideas? 

Thanks!

Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2010 Nov 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows XP Professional and have been getting the same two error messages, The Document cannot be printed, and There were no pages selected to print.

I was going to try to register with Adobe to see if that would work. I went to Start-All Programs-Adobe Reader 9.

When I did that a small installation dialog box opened saying Installing Adobe Reader 9. It just took a few seconds then the blank PDF page opened up. I selected the document I had been wanting to print and clicked on the printer icon. It printed perfectly! I just tried printing another document which I was unable to print before and it too just printed.

Hope it stays fixed! Give it a try and good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2010 Nov 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One possible workaround: Print the pdf to xps using a Microsoft Document XPS printer, then open the xps file with IE and print it from there. This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2010 Nov 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem with a document I created in Word 2010, then imported into Acrobat Pro X to make into a form.

I couldn't print it in Acrobat Pro X or Acrobat reader 9.  I would get the errors:

"The document could not be printed" then "There were no pages selected to print".

Since i created the document, I was able to take it apart and remove items until it printed correctly which it eventually did.

What had happened was that I had added some new text in Acrobat Pro, all other text was imported from the original Word document .

This new text created in Acrobat was causing the error.  Once I deleted this, it printed fine. I had to reimport 1 page form Word with the edits made in that file to make my final document.

- If you didn't create the original document, this is of no help to you unfortunately.

- Printing to a .xps was not a workaround for me as the error occurred there also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2010 Dec 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed Adobe and while reading through the posts downloaded and then reinstalled the latest reader, Adobe Reader X (http://get.adobe.com/reader/).

I am using Windows 7. It is working fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2011 Jan 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had the same problem here ("The Document could not be printed" and "No pages selected to print").

I could replicate the problem only when printing to the network printer.  Printing to my local printer worked fine, which pointed to an issue communicating with the print driver.

Our solution (or workaround) is to use a different print driver.  This is a solution we've used for a variety of printing issues over the years.  We had the same issue with Toshiba printers before, and now with Xerox printers:  Simply add a second version of the printer out there, share it with a name like Generic_Driver or something.  This will point to the same physical network printer, but instead of using the default Postscript driver, go into the printer properties and change the driver to a generic driver like the HP LaserJet 4.  At least in our case, many if not most PDFs print just fine using the default print driver, but it's a heck of a lot easier to troubleshoot printing problems if you've got an alternate print driver ready to go.  The problem will very often come down to an incompatibility between the software and the PS driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines