• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error 1625 with Adobe Reader Update on Windows Server 2008 R2 OS

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2010 Jul 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the last two months when I receive updates to Adobe Reader 9.3 I get Error 1625:  Update failed.  Update not permitted by system policy.   But there is no system policy since this is a stand-alone machine. 

Windows Server 2008 R2 is equivalent to Windows 7 OS but has some special security features.  If I could manually download and run this update and by pass the Adobe automated install I might be able to fix the problem by running the update "as administrator" but I think Adobe doesn't give me that choice.

I have uninstalled and re-installed Adobe Reader 9.3 but still get the same result when applying this update.  

Adobe reader is working fine, so I would be happy also if Adobe just stopped trying to send me this update.

Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2010 Jul 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2010 Jul 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem you are facing occurs due to the way Windows Server 2008 R2 handles user accounts. All Microsoft operating systems since Vista includes a security feature called User Account Control that runs an administrator user with the standard priviliges to minimize the impact of malicious programs. This, in your case, causes the updater to run in standard user mode, even if you are logged in with an account that is member of administrator group, and since it is running only with standard priviliges it will not be able to update the adobe reader because doing that requires administrative priviliges (and hence the Permission Denied error).

To work around this problem, you can simply go to the directory where updater application resides (typically that will be C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0) and run AdobeARM.exe as administrator (by right-clicking on it and selecting Run as administrator). This will give the updater priviliges it requires to perform a successful update and the error will go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2010 Jul 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

djarian99,

The last solution didn't work.

I followed your instructions. I ran AdobeARM.exe as administrator, but nothing happens when I do that.

After I did the "run as administrator" for AdobeARM.exe, then I thought it didn't work since I didn't ask Reader to download the update yet. So I downloaded the update using the Adobe Reader "search for updates" link and when I got a message the update was "ready to install" I ran AdobeARM.exe again as administrator. Still nothing happened. Then I ran the update from the taskbar and it failed again with the same message.

Also, consistent with the above, I don't think I can authorize administrator privileges for the installer UNLESS the update is sitting on my desktop, which it was not.

Apparently your solution does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2010 Jul 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ken,

When I faced this error, I also first downloaded the update using "Check for Updates" link and once I got the notification that updates is ready to install, I aborted AdobeARM.exe using task manager and started it again using Run-as administrator and not only did it show up but also successfully performed the update. It is true that the AdobeARM will not work unless the update has been downloaded. However, just to re-create the scenario, I un-installed Adobe Reader from my machine and re-installed version 9.0 but now AdobeARM does nothing even if the update has been downloaded. It's really strange that a solution that worked once does not work again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 29, 2010 Jul 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you guys try manually applying the patches as suggested by ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did. When I posted my last response ending in "did not work" I had a dashed line and

Adobe in there infinite wisdom interpreted that as an end of message. So here is the rest

of my last post which was cut off:

So I then tried ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ's solution (the one above your suggestion) - downloading the updates to my desktop and applying them by hand. That worked.

But this means I may need to download all future updates by hand for this computer. It's great that ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ posted links for these three updates above, but I'm wondering how to easily automate getting download links for all future updates since I don't have access to the parent directory http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/.

Please suggest a way I can install all future updates by hand without requesting a special link. In particular, when you download an update using Adobe Reader "search for updates", where is that update saved so perhaps I could run it by hand instead of the automated way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/

This will have more than what you need but you can probably download and discard what you don't need.

The install sequence is published at:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/498/cpsid_49880.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answering my question! This is very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same 2008 Server R2 OS machine, and I could not see this issue happening. There's something wrong in the machine, in order to identify that and to get all the future updates, you will have to share AdobeARM.log file, which is present at the temp folder. To navigate to the temp folder, you have to type "%temp%" (without quote) at the Start>Run dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The log seems to have been overwritten. It just states that it tried to run, but the setting was not auto-on so it exited. I think I set that after the problem. I won't be able to share the log until the next update comes out. If you send me a contact email I'll let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2010 Jul 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The log does not get overwritten, it gets appended. I'm sure if you search for Error 1625 in the log, there's some useful information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2010 Jul 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I beg your pardon... You must be mistaken. I looked at the log, and it's only 20 lines long. The error 1625 does not appear in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2010 Aug 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without the log, it's very difficult to pin point the root cause. Looking at your earlier posts, I'm assuming that you have the latest Reader 9.3.3 with you. And now regarding your concern of future updates, please check once the future update is available. It should get fixed and even if the problem still persists then start a new thread with AdobeARM.log file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2010 Aug 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Thanks; I'll do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ken,

Running AdobeARM.exe as administrator will not produce any effect on your machine. Try to apply patches sequentially as mentioned by Abhigyan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already did that. Read my earlier posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2010 Aug 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly for me. Running Windows Server 2008 R2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2010 Dec 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Works for me. Thank you very much, this has been driving me nuts with the poping up and everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2010 Aug 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and after several tries, I was finally able to install the updates by starting the reader itself as administrator, then searching for updates via the Help menu and starting the update from the "Updates found" dialog box. Though, the update was already downloaded, so I'm not sure if this works without an installation failure prior to this. (And better exit the reader afterwards and restart it without administrative privileges to view PDF files.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2010 Aug 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You meant to say, you tried Help>Check for Updates on Reader by loggin into the OS from the builtin "Administrator" a/c ? And could you please tell me if the UAC were On/Off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was logged in with my usual account, the UAC was on, and I started the Acrobat reader by right-clicking its icon and selecting "Run As Administrator". Then I used Help>Check for Updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm lost. It's been a while and I've forgotten all the threads of the discussion. Is UAC= User Account Control? Because if it is I'm even more lost. How is User Account Control relevant when I'm running Windows Server 2008 R2? In Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7, UAC is always on (never off) but subject to it's user settings. And anyway, UAC has no effect at all on a "run as administrator" process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2010 Aug 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AMC380. I tried your steps and it worked. Thanks. If someone else is facing this issue, then please follow AMC380's steps to get rid of the problem.

1. Start Acrobat Reader by right clicking it's icon and selecting "Run as Administrator"

2. And then navigate to Help>Check for Updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2010 Nov 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnak you! THIS is the answer for single machines running Vista. I tried the step-by-step manual update. I tried the run-update-as-admin solutions. Nothing. Nada. No Go. Then, before giving up in utter MS-frustration, I tried the Run Acrobat Reader as Administrator, then check under Help for Updates solution. It worked. Flawlessly. Thank you again.

Message was edited by: CommunityCenter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines