• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error - There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired.

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

screenshot.7.jpg

I have been involved in IT for over 25 years. This problem has been happening more and more lately when I download a PDF file, and I am extreemly confused by the answers I have been finding. I have seen many iterations of the Reader program and I feel that Reader has been the most trusted PDF reader since the PDF format was created by Adobe. I have had so many issues with web browsers displaying PDF files correctly that my practice is to always download the PDF files to my computer and then open them with Adobe Reader and yet, this problem is happening more and more. I have cleared my Internet cache files, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Adobe Reader program, and I have attempted to repair the Adobe Reader installation to no avail. The only thing I haven't done is to completely reload my operating system. Adobe Reader would not open several PDF files and the PDF files are from different sources. To test my theory, I uninstalled Adobe Reader and downloaded another popular reader that I have encountered in the past and the files open correctly each time (so far). So, what has happened to the program that I have used for decades?

TOPICS
PDF forms , View PDF , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Watching this thread for the answer to the same.  I can't open ANY .pdf files all of a sudden.  When I try I get

"Adobe Acrobat Reader could not open 'insertnameoffilehere.pdf' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)."

Has completely stopped my workflow until I get this sorted!  Annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the file in a text editor, like Notepad.

What can you see at the first lines?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding. Here are the first 14 lines:

%PDF-1.7
%âãÏÓ
1 0 obj
<</CreationDate(D:20220701190129Z)/ModDate(D:20220701190129Z)/Producer(PDFTron PDFNet, V9.10306\n)>>
endobj
2 0 obj
<</Pages 3 0 R/Type/Catalog/Version/1.4>>
endobj
4 0 obj
<</Annots[5 0 R 6 0 R]/Contents[7 0 R]/MediaBox[0 0 612 792]/Parent 3 0 R/Resources 8 0 R/Rotate 0/Type/Page>>
endobj
7 0 obj
<</Length 10718>>
stream

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This looks correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines