• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Field names in Acrobat PRO DC

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to batch process to rename multiple fields at once?

When I copy fields from one page to the next, I must rename each field so that the field name is unique. With a large amount of fields that is a lot of (boring) work and tends to create errors if not done thoroughly.

Love to hear your ideas.

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

This is tricky to do in Acrobat. A script can't actually rename a field. What it can do is re-create it using the new name, but then some settings are lost (basically all attached scripts, including Validation, Format, Keystroke, Calculation, Mouse Up, etc.). The other option is to do it outside of Acrobat, using a stand-alone tool, but that has its limitations, too.

I've developed both types of (paid-for) tools, and you can find them here: https://www.try67.com/tool/easily-rename-pdf-fields

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Is there a way to batch process to rename multiple fields at once?

Not possible with Acrobat Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the prompt answer. However, I was asking for an idea on how to do it in Acrobat PRO DC. Even if there is no standard function by Adobe, I was sort of hoping that someone already created a Java script that he or she might want to share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the forum for Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect idea. Did not read well enough then. Thanks for the hint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is tricky to do in Acrobat. A script can't actually rename a field. What it can do is re-create it using the new name, but then some settings are lost (basically all attached scripts, including Validation, Format, Keystroke, Calculation, Mouse Up, etc.). The other option is to do it outside of Acrobat, using a stand-alone tool, but that has its limitations, too.

I've developed both types of (paid-for) tools, and you can find them here: https://www.try67.com/tool/easily-rename-pdf-fields

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer. I have done what you have done also, maybe in a different way but it works. However, as you point out, you loose some properties that you might have set. Especially for dropdown lists that is a bit unfortunate. I am running the script on the fields in an otherwise empty PDF and copy the fields back to the file I am actually editing. Then, I need to redo some properties but I can do that for multiple fields at a time and that still saves time as cpompared to rename all fields on a page manually. Too bad that this is not a funtion any PDF editor offers. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Almost) all Properties can be copied over, actually. Only Actions can not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, that is true, of course. So one needs to decide when this is worth the effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines