• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flattening

Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2019 Jul 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to print a file which consists of 148 pages. I say trying because the word "flattening" always appears at the 44% mark. Then the message Adobe Reader 'not responding' appears at the top of the screen.  I really need to print this file. Oh, my printer works fine, that is first thing I checked. I am so frustrated! Can you help me with this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Thanks for the version number. That tells us you are pretty much up to date. (We ask because people often run old software, sometimes almost 20 years old...)

Flattening is a complicated process and may take some time. When it's flattening it might show "Not responding". That doesn't mean that it's broken! Obviously, there comes a point where we decide it must be broken.  So my question could be put as -- how long have you left it "not responding" before giving up and killing it. I'd be tempted to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Reader are you using (exact number, please, not just "the latest")? And what's your operating system version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using version 12 of Reader.  I have Windows 7 version 6.1.7601   I hope that is what you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite. I asked for the exact version number. You can find it under Help - About Adobe Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also how long have you left it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for being so patient with me. I'm still learning a lot about computers. So, anyway, now I believe I have the exact version number.  2019.012.20034  Please tell me this is what you need.

And now for my stupid question #2 and I ask this meekly: How long have I left what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the version number. That tells us you are pretty much up to date. (We ask because people often run old software, sometimes almost 20 years old...)

Flattening is a complicated process and may take some time. When it's flattening it might show "Not responding". That doesn't mean that it's broken! Obviously, there comes a point where we decide it must be broken.  So my question could be put as -- how long have you left it "not responding" before giving up and killing it. I'd be tempted to leave it  - for an hour over lunch or even overnight to see if it eventually succeeds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I left it "not responding" for  about 15 minutes before killing it. I'm not very patient. So, when I do what you say and leave it for at least an hour or even overnight then perhaps my problem has been solved! One question though, will I be able to continue using the computer for other things such as, playing music, searching for information, etc. while waiting to see if it responds? Thank you very much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah yes, other things can be done (possibly not printing). But I'm a fan of leaving overnight, because otherwise I get an itchy trigger finger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines