• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Highlighting all instances of a term

New Here ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In old versions of Adobe Acrobat reader if you did a search for a term or a word, all instances of that term/word were highlighted at the same time.  IN the version that I unfortunately upgraded to, if you search for a term you only see one instance of it until you move forward.  I want to be able to see all instances of a word at the same time - how do I do this?

I seem to be using Acrobat Reader DC, if that is relevant

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No version of Reader, or even Acrobat, has such a feature built-in. You must have been using some kind of third-party tool...

I've developed a (paid-for) script for Acrobat (and Reader) which allows you to do that, if you're interested.

You can find it here: Custom-made Adobe Scripts: Acrobat -- Highlight All Instances of a Word or Phrase in a PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mattijs5EBE_0-1606668204364.png

He means like this. I managed to get it to work for this document but not for another. I have no idea why or how to turn it off and on but if someone knows, please inform me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found one tricky way to open that. First ctrl+F, type in "/", don't do any thing and straight delete the "/" you typed in, and then type in the word you want to search, and then press ENTER. This method will highlight all the words you want to search in the pdf. It works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! That works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kate, one other thing that might help is to use Edit > Advanced Search instead. It will list all the instances and you can click each to navigate through.

Untitled-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that I'm looking at a page where all the matched results to the search are highlighted, and they continue to other pages. This is definitely functionality of Reader but it seems no one knows how to reporduce consistently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you know it was done in Reader? How do you know it was done autmatically and not by hand?

By the way, the script I linked to above will also work in Reader DC...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there currently a way to highlight all isntances of a term in a large PDF?

I need to creat a colour code of key words in the document. Any help would be most appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this was a while back, but I know the foolproof method for making this work. Open the find window, and start typing something. Then backspace and retype, just invent any kind of edit to the word  you are typing, and every instance of that search word or phrase will magically appear on each page. This is an extremely valuable tool!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this! My experience with Adobe Acrobat Reader has always been that upon entering a term to Find, all instances of that term will be highlighted. That recently stopped working. Maybe it has something to do with the upgrade to 2023.003.20269? At any rate, it stopped working and I couldn't get it back, but this hack works like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just sooooo happy I figured it out. If it stops working, which it does sometimes. Just close acrobat and start again! Yahoo!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2023 Dec 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have been wondering why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - it must be because sometimes I misspell something and have to go back! Thank you so much, this makes me very happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines