• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to open pdf's in separate windows? [2016] [Locked]

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note from moderator: this post is from 2016 and things have changed. If you have a

question about the current version, please start a new post. This post is now locked.

Two answers are marked Correct. One is how to disable the "New Experience" and the other is

from 2016 and tells you how to disable tabs and see the PDFs in separate windows.

Separate Windows are not available (yet) in the New Experience. The first step is to disable it.

When I open different pdf's I want them to open in separate windows.

It is possible to manually separate the different documents after opening them by dragging the tabs.

But it doesn't seem to be possible to set as default that the files open in separate windows.

How do I do that?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Go to preferences (Edit>Preferences - on Windows), or faster is control-K (cmd-K on Mac).  Select the General category on the left, and look for the setting labelled 'Open documents as new tabs in the same window', and UNCHECK this.  You will need to restart Acrobat for this to take effect.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

On the newest version (May 2023), you have to first select "Disable New Acrobat" from the upper left hamburger menu first before the option to  "Open documents as new tabs in the same window" will appear. To make that option visible, you have to first "Disable New Acrobat"

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Hi All,

I hope you all are doing well. 

We appreciate your valuable feedback! We're always looking for ways to improve Acrobat, and we appreciate the time and effort you have taken to share your feedback.  

  

We acknowledge that the new Acrobat represents a notable change; however, we hope that as you get familiar with the new interface, you will be able to be more productive & get more out of Acrobat.

We are actively working on all the currently unavailable features, such as 'open cross-

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. My Adobe PDF just updated and I can't find the 'Open documents as new tabs in the same window' option in the settings anymore. Where has the option gone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably now have the New Experience.  You can disable it .

mariahweyne_0-1688661688460.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open PDF files with Adobe Acrobat Reader on Win 10 they all open in the same window but different tabs. OK you can split them using Cascade, but I want to open directly in separate windows, as it was for past versions.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change this in the preferences of Acrobar Reader. Look at the category General.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by category General? And where I can change the preferences of Acrobar Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the preferences: menu Edit > Preferences

On left side you will see the categories.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro and I don't have an Open documents in separate window under Edit.  How do I open them in separate windows for Acrobat Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the preferences of Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.  There is nowhere in my Acrobat Pro settings that let's me open pdf documents in separate windows.  What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What can you see in the preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Adobe Acrobat does you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro, Version 9.0.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option is not available in this old version.

Acrobat 9 can't display documents in tabs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great!  I used to be able to drag to my other screen to view two pages at a time, but it doesn't let me do that anymore either.  Thanks for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive seeb you have answered alot around here, But acrobat pro 2022 doesnt ahve the opention for seprate windows.

default1n8zu74052hs_0-1676663682344.png

Do you have a soultion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might have the "new Acrobat experience". It seems that in the future there will only be tabs. But for now you can disable the experience. Check out https://helpx.adobe.com/in/acrobat/using/new-acrobat-experience.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats really annoying, you have to disable a new feature (no asked for) to get a box to uncheck for a deafault setting thats really not that usefull. Sounds like coprate, change the UI because we make too much money

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this link has the solution finally and it worked. just checking if anyday I want to enable back new acrobat, how do I do that ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might find another menu to undo it. Or, you might have had your chance until this is released to everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood. Thanks 'Test Screen Name". Appreciate your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:  in my version of Acrobat Reader (Version 11.0.23 on  a 2016 macbook) there is no option to choose "open in separate windows" in the General tab of Acrobat Preferences as other people have posted.  HOWEVER, the following trick worked for me:  

Go to "System Preferences"  on the mac, and then "Dock".  To the right of "Prefer tabs when opening documents" select "In Full Screen Only."   Good luck, this caused me hours of frustration but was finally fixed by this trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this option was not in the ancient Acrobat XI either. It was added a while after Acrobat SDK was released. Why would you keep using such an old version (about 8 years old?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines