• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I fix this? The document could not be saved. A number is out of range.

Jun 11, 2019 Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am about ready to have an anxiety attack. [cursing removed by moderator] Why do I have to go to a help menu to fix this ridiculous issue??  Come On!!  I went to the help menu, followed directions and still doesn't work. I do not have time for this!!

Fire you developers or pay them more to fix it!!!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cinergi

Sorry to hear about the frustrating experience.

Do you get this error upon saving all the documents or any specific one? Here is a forum thread where similar issue has been discussed and resolved: This Document could not be saved. A number is out of range.  follow the steps suggested and let us know if you still struggle to bypass the error.

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, This is how I fixed it, and was eventually able to save the form after getting the error message:

jodyh44191785_1-1656041546811.png

1. In my case, I was trying to debug a PDF that wouldn't let people sign digital signatures completely. It would let you get through the "signing part"; but once it got to the "save file" part, that error message came up. 
  2. I tried the printing to PDF but I got another error that said it couldn't do that. I tried doing this via the Adobe Acrobat DC (full version) and DC (reader version) but got the same error message both times. It's not surprising this process doesn't work from the app.
  3. Then I tried opening the file in a browser window (such as if you just clicked on the file, like when it is attached in an email).
  4.  At that time, it allowed me to "print to PDF" and I was able to save the file copy it, etc....  In my case, I was just trying to debug a digital signature box that wouldn't let people sign. Of course, when I "printed to PDF", I understood I would lose any of the previous fillable sections. But I only needed to add a digital signature box; so for my purposes, it worked just fine and I wouldn't need to create a bunch of fillable areas.

Hope this helps!

Best.

Jody

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clarification, I didn't do anything special. I knew there was a bug in the document. I had already tried several suggested workarounds such as:

1) Saving document with a different name in a different location

2) Turning off "Save As optimizes for Fast Web Review"

3) Using the Postscript workaround  (I didn't try this one yet).

I just needed to create a new PDF file. I could have achieved the same result by printing out the file on printer, and scanning it back in, to create a new PDF; it just wouldn't have come out as pretty as the "print to PDF function";)

Best,

Jody

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried all suggested fixes. none work.  Adobe, why don't you fix the error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This not an error of the application but of the PDF viewed in tit. There's something corrupt deep in the structure which has no impact as long you're perform a specific action. Then things go south. You can try the Preflight tools (requires Acrobat instead of Reader) to analyse, find and fix potential error.  However, it might not possible to fix a PDF in every case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem persists for me. I scanned a document to create the PDF then opened it to in Adobe Acrobat to run OCR on it but now I cannot save or export it in any way. I get this same "numer out of range" error. There's nothing complex about the PDF and shouldn't be some deep structural error in it. It's just a scan from a book that Acrobat cannot handle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this been addressed? I am encountering this issue and cant get around it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pro subscription, frequently encounter this 'number out of range' issue.  I've spent an hour reading through these threads, trying various fixes which sometimes work but usually not. That Adobe does not have a simple clear solution to this problem (which I see from the threads dates back a couple of years) is mindboggling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you read the thread then you've probably seen that the issue is with how the PDF files were created. The solution needs to be implemented there, as well. Acrobat is just reporting this issue to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

2 identical spec Macs, same OS, same version of Acrobat Pro. One Mac gets the error, the other doesn't (PDF opened over network OR saved to desktop = same result).

Open the PDF in a web browser (Chrome) > Print as PDF > Open in Acrobat Pro with no errors.   

‽

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines