• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how the hell do you turn off "highlighting"? help function is utterly unhelpful!

Aug 03, 2012 Aug 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do you turn off highlighting so you can, for instance, copy text?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Are you ready for this? I looked for the answer everywhere and I JUST found it (I had to make a friggin Adobe account so I could post here, so I hope it's useful to someone at some point!)

Two quick things: first, I'm working on a Mac, so it might be different for you, if you're not. Second, I'm more or less computer illiterate, so bear with me!

In the bar at the top of the screen the you see Adobe Reader File  Edit  View  Window  Help

Click on View to get the drop down menu.

One of the options shou

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2012 Aug 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the comments list you can delete the highlight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 04, 2012 Aug 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*many thanks. i see you work for adobe. this in unintuitive and couldn't

find answer anywhere on site.*

*instead of the way you've got Help set up, just do an old-fashioned index

created by people like you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bernd is not an Adobe employee (STAFF), but a Most Valuable Participant (MVP). If you want to know what this means, you can find it here

http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-2327

under MVP badge program. And I am afraid that it is even far less intuitive to get to this information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, i find if i right=click the cell, highlight goes away.

*but here's the harder part. it still is set on highlight and i don't see

how to turn if off if , e.g., i paint text for the purpose of cutting.*

?!?!

*many thx again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All Help is available online at http://helpx.adobe.com/reader.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem.  How do you turn off the highlighting function so that you can copy text?  As far as the Adobe help website, well . . . that's how I got here in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found the answer, and I actually did find it at the Adobe help website.  Right click in the document, and when the dropdown menu appears, choose "select tool."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 05, 2012 Aug 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

then select 'delete'. you're brilliant -- adobe should hire you

*what a screwed up 'help' site!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you.  Who were the geniuses who developed the Reader UI?  It should be used in a UI design class as an example of how not to do things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 05, 2012 Aug 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here's the hidden answer-- right click on doc, select highlight text *then

select 'delete'. *

*what a screwed up 'help' site!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no you can't! it is just a list, with no delete button.

In any case there are two issues a. how to delete a particular highlight, and how to turn the tool off.

Staggering that adobe could design a tool like this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

consider Adeesh's answer to: How do I add the hand tool to the toolbar on Adobe Acrobat Reader DC ?

it seems that the easiest way to turn off the highlighting mode is to revert to the hand-scrolling mode; this can be achieved only by invoking the bottom floating tool bar because the hand-scrolling tool lives only in the bottom floating tool bar and cannot be made to be a permanent resident in the top toolbar. As frustrating as things are you should still note that screaming and cursing at the developers is a bad strategy - would *you* want to be screamed at? i'm sure that the developers are not designing after-the-fact contrary-to-intuition devices just so that they can frustrate and vexate their customers  - i readily grant you that such minds do indeed exist; i encounter in real life many people who's exclusive purpose in life is to vexate and vandalize - but these Adobe developers do not fall into this category.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the very same problem.  I've been given an editable PDF (an invitation) to complete my companies fields.  If I was to print it, no problem the highlighted fields disappear.  But I need to email it.  There is no where to turn off all of the highlighted fields. Using the hand only unhighlights one particular field at a time.  I'm trying to export the file as a jpeg and it also then creates two files as there are two pages.  I've just signed up for the latest version of Adobe and am really frustrated.. This is taking me hours to figure out the simplest of tasks.  Please advise as I can't seem to locate what to do in the help menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2013 Sep 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on another tool, either the hand or the arrow and it will automatically deselect the highlight tool. Another option is to select the highlight tool, right click, select Properties or CTRL+E, when the dialog box appears, uncheck the box labeled "keep tool selected". This will ensure that after you highlight the text, the tool will automatically return to a default setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 14, 2013 Sep 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're a scholar + a gentleman.  adobe could use you

​[Private info removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 14, 2013 Sep 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a public forum; please do not post your telephone number and other private data!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2013 Sep 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you profjhs. This has long been a frustration of mine also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2014 Dec 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently, giving an object the capability to toggle on and off is beyond anyone's programming skills at Adobe.  I used to think Steve Jobs was too critical of Adobe.  Now I know he was right, God rest his soul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2015 Sep 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the simplest way that i know of is to click the HAND tool: How do I add the hand tool to the toolbar on Adobe Acrobat Reader DC ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2015 Dec 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy cow!  it did work. Comment is not where I would of looked but now I see the logic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not just make this a toggle?  It is what we all expect....why increase the amount of clicks to simply turn off a tool?   Click on...Click off....how hard can that be from a programming stand point, and honestly, it would make it far more user friendly.

I'm just saying....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what tool should be selected when you "click it off"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like most applications, a toggle means off and on.  Why is it necessary to move from one tool to another?  That isn't necessary in, well, any other application I use.  If I toggle an element on, it is on, if I toggle it off, it is off, I don't have to go from Bold, to Italics, to Underline, I can turn them on and off as needed.  It is the way most programs work.  After all, if having to hop from one tool to another was that intuitive, we wouldn't be having this discussion and most of us wouldn't have had the need to look up the answer to utilize what should have been a common element.  Highlighting is a tool that most people will use regularly.  A more simplistic way of operating is desired by most users.....but that's only years of IT Consulting talking... Obviously Adobe feels this is appropriate and the 184,000 sites that come up Google when you search for 'how to turn off highlighting in adobe'  mean nothing.... Adding additional clicks to simply turn off the highlighter is obviously the preferred method...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact there are a lot of Google results for something doesn't mean much. You'll get 184K results for just about anything you search in Google...

Anyway, the way the application works a tool always has to be selected. One could say that the Hand tool could be switched to by default, but I don't think that's more intuitive then how it works now.

If you want you can make a feature request here: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines