• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to I STOP 32-bit reader from "upgrading" to 64-bit Acrobat?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what happened, but over the past 3 weeks I keep getting screwed with this "upgrade." I have old hardware that can't detect 64-bit programs. On the reader download page I have to click on some small text just to get to the 32-bit option. What's the point of making my jump through this hoop if Adobe doesn't want me to use a 32-bit reader? That's all I need. A simply PDF reader. Again, this wasn't a problem 3 weeks ago, but now for some reason EVERY time open the 32-bit reader, I'm actually opening a 64-bit Acrobat. I then I have to uninstall, go back to the tiny text on the download page and install a fresh version of 32-bit reader just so I can do my job.

It's to the point that I'm losing several hours of work a day just to get my hardware to function because I'm constantly downloading and installing the version I WANT AND NEED.

I followed the regedit on a different thread, but that doesn't do anything. I still have to uninstall and re-download the version I need.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader-discussions/disable-automatic-update-to-64-bit-reader-...

I JUST WANT TO USE THE SOFTWARE I INTENTIONALLY DOWNLOADED, NOT THE "UPGRADE" ADOBE IS FORCING ME TO REMOVE MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY!!!

TOPICS
Download and install

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Nicholas28208919nasf 

Sorry to hear about your frustrating experience.

If you have installed the 32-bit Acrobat Reader application, you will be automatically upgraded to the 64-bit version of Acrobat Reader gradually. This upgrade is silent and currently applicable to a limited number of users.

Note: If you have installed Acrobat Reader 64-bit and purchase an Acrobat subscription, the Acrobat Reader 64-bit application will upgrade to a fully functional Acrobat 64-bit application. 

To fix this issue, we'd suggest the following changes, but before that, run this, Run this cleaner tool to remove the existing installer and application’s file traces:

https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html 

How to stop automatic upgrade of Acrobat Reader 32-bit to Acrobat Reader 64-bit:

To stop the Acrobat Reader 32-bit application from automatically upgrading to the 64-bit version, create the following registry key before the first launch of the application:

• In Start > Search, type RegEdit and press Enter. The Registry Editor is displayed.

• Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\FeatureLockDown.

• Create the following key:

Key: bUpdateToSingleApp

Data type: REG_DWORD

Default Value: 0

Close Registry Editor.

Let us know the result.

Thanks,

Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines