• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to save changes and just overwrite a PDF without choosing a folder??

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC - I rarely use this app and am very frustrated by its Save and Save As screens. I need to open a PDF through a network link (I do NOT know the path to this PDF), make comments, and save it. Simple.  But when I try to save or exit, Acrobat Reader is forcing me to select a Save As location. Why?? How do I force it to just save over the same PDF? I don't know this location, and it would be a tremendous amount of work to figure out where the PDF is.

This is not a read-only file, and I have honestly never seen a piece of software from any other company force me to select a different path to save a writable file. Why does Adobe have to make everything so difficult? How do I force it to just let me overwrite the file?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Try this: Go to Edit (or the Reader menu if you're on a Mac) - Preferences - Security (Enhanced) and set Protected View to Off.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

This will happen if

(1) you open the PDF from OUTSIDE Acrobat Reader, for example with a double click in Windows 

AND

(2) Protected Mode is selected.

This is by design and for our security, but Adobe have never explained why.

You could turn off Protected Mode if you dare.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bryan,

If you're using Acrobat Reader, you can't really do any changes in a document (other than filling out a form) so Saving or Saving as-ing... is not a critical option. Just quit and if it's asking for you to save, just click "Done Save." 

Although admittedly I do not know why it's asking you to save in the first place if you've not made any changes. Have you asked your IT person if opening files on a server is generating this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, sorry, but that's not true. Just perusing through this forum, this seems to be the most incorrect answer on the entire site. Adobe Reader has had the capability of making certain changes to PDF files, such as annotations, and saving them, for years.

The question is after you make a change, when you go to save the PDF file, how do you default to saving into the same folder. Currently, it gives you a list of "Recent Locations" and the "Document Cloud". But the folder where the PDF was opened is not one of the choices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Bryan,

You are correct, my answer could have been better. In all honesty, I got sidetracked by someone coming to the door and part of my answer got left out.

I gather that you received this form via email. When you get documents from email, they tend to me in a very bizarre laberinth of folders and subfolders that as you stated, can be the devil to find. If you are on a Mac, that can be done in many programs (but not all) by pressing the command key and clicking on the name of the document. Apple's Mail program does allow this as shown below. Since you are on a network this will probably not work but I thought I'd mention it just to show some of the ways that computers organize things so THEY can find things.

2020-05-03_13-31-59.png

FWIW, I created a simple form (asking for "name") and I WAS able to have this simply write over the original document. But again, this was done via email, I'm not on a network so I cannot test that. I suggest you ask your IT folks how to access that folder and/or ask the sender/creator how they would like that form delivered to them because of this issue. It's also possible that your network hides the location of where things are residing as a security issue.

The foucs of my original response was based on the above mentioned issue and that Adobe cannot know where that folder is located. Microsoft might be able to because they are more often then not involved in some of the Server layout/decisions, but again, I do not know what kind of server software you are using. By doing a Save as, you can have a copy to send back to the recipient. 

I'm sorry you think I provided the worst answer in the history of Adobe's non-paid volunteer network of folks who try to help others. I will continue to try to improve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this: Go to Edit (or the Reader menu if you're on a Mac) - Preferences - Security (Enhanced) and set Protected View to Off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! - I hope I remember this tip next time. It's been really annoying whenever a prompt to save at a folder is always asked when you hit save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution worked.  Thanks for posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

God bless you!  

FWIW--my "protected view" was already "off;" I had to also uncheck "Enable Protected Mode at startup."  

Fixed!  Thanks again!

KDB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to do this as well, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too! Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I've been searching for a fix to this for ever!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2023 Apr 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Been struggling with this for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me. Had really been struggling with RSI and unnecessary clicks. In the current version of Adobe on Windows 10, this menu can be found not under edit, but under Menu (hamburger menu) - Preferences - Security Enhanced. Like Kaitlin below, I first had to uncheck "Enable Protected Mode at startup."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still successfully using and ancient version of Adobe, Acrobat Standard 9.  It doesn't have this protected mode anywhere.  I notice the only work around I have is to make sure that my cursor is not on the file in Windows Explorer.  Then I can save it.  It remains a pain to have to deslect the file in Windows before saving.  Anyone have any comments about this that might help in this old version, aside from upgrading to a newer version, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is it, this is the piece of advice that works. Confirmed for adobe acrobat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will happen if

(1) you open the PDF from OUTSIDE Acrobat Reader, for example with a double click in Windows 

AND

(2) Protected Mode is selected.

This is by design and for our security, but Adobe have never explained why.

You could turn off Protected Mode if you dare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the stuff mentioned below and mine does the same stupid thing. I must CLICK choose a folder, CLICK save it, and CLICK yes to overwrite old file. This is completely idiotic. At most, one should have to agree to overwrite the original. 
Grow a brain, Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downloaded the free foxit reader. I don't need to edit, just highlight stuff, and it's fantastic. One click save. If you want to save a new copy, just choose save as. Fast, smooth, and elegant. Bye bye adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bryan, 
I had the same problems that you are having. Adobe, as you pointed, simply doesn't have this simplest of features for reasons known only to them. 
Foxit PDF reader/editor does, however. Changing your PDF reader/editor may be your best option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2023 Sep 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"for reasons known only to them" LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the comments above solves my issue. Finally this one works a bit.

Change your storage settings.

Your PDF editor or reader might not know where to send your saved files, meaning they won’t save anywhere. To fix the problem, follow these steps:

1. Open the file in Acrobat.
  2. Click File and choose Preferences at the bottom.
  3. In the Preferences panel, select General and check the box beside Show online storage when saving files.
  4. Press OK.

This correction to your storage settings may allow you to finally save your PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UNCHECK the box beside Show online storage when saving files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, idiotic that it is difficult to save over the original file. Tried all of the above and none of it works for me and I'm in a corporate network where users can't select a different PDF tool 😞 So reviewers who don't know the file location can't save in the correct location. WHY WHY WHY???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, you tried turning off Protected Mode (different from Protected View)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines