Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I cannot change the author, title, and other properties of a PDF file

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I cannot change the properties of a PDF file, like author, title, subject, and keywords as all these fields are grayed out. Some of the PDF files I have are filled with information, and some are not. For both cases I am unable to change them.

I have considered the possibility that these files are protected by their creators, but the files have no passwords, and I have even tried to create my own PDF using Microsoft Office Word Document and then saved it as a PDF, and even then, though I'm the creator of the file it shows the author with a name I have never seen before and I still cannot change that.

I am using Windows 7, and am using Adobe Reader 9.4.

I have attached a screenshot of the grayed out part where I get to it by:

01. Opening a PDF file.

02. On the tabs above, select File.

03. Select Properties.

Properties.PNG

I even considered the security tab, but all of the files are showing with no security in the security method!

Here is how I got to the security tab:

01. Opening the PDF file.

02. On the tabs above, select File.

03. Select Properties.

04. On the tabs above, select security.

Security.PNG

Thank you for help!

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

This is not possible with the free Reader. You'll need to get Acrobat to be able to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not possible with the free Reader. You'll need to get Acrobat to be able to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

I have looked up the packages in Acrobat website and it did not show anywhere where you can edit file properties.

The packages were Acrobat Pro DC (14.99$ per month) and Acrobat Standard DC (12.99$ per month.) These were the only available packages in the website at the moment.

Website: https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/pricing.html

Can you please provide a citation that states only premium user is allowed to take actions in properties?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either one of these versions can do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. I edited the Title and Author in the word file and saved afterwards as PDF. The PDF file had the same Title and Author. So maybe try to convert the PDF file to a Word file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader can't convert PDF to Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @DaveDW  it's working fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go the original word file - View - Properties - then change the title and remove/add an author (on the right side) - then save as PDF.

cheers'

Yazeid Hammash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even when I go into the word document, and remove the name and title in the properties tab, and recreate the new word document, and then change it back to a PDF - the name and title I removed re-appear.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the original word document, right click -> Properties -> Details tab -> click "Remove Properties and Personal Information" at the bottom -> choose remove title & subject in Remove Properties, save the word and then save as PDF. You are good to go now.

Celia26330456v28c_0-1664356786017.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2022 Dec 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. This worked for me. Cheers 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is not a "File" option in the top menu.  I have Adobe Pro

Choose Menu > Document Properties 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use the hamburger menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines