• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat crashing on launch - Invalid plugin detected

Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In our enterprise, few users (60+) are facing an issue while launching  the shortcut Adobe acrobat reader DC, "Invalid Plugin detected. Adobe Acrobat Reader DC will quit".

As mentioned in the Adobe technical forum, downloaded the latest patches from vendor site and installed the same. issue was still persist.

later we had used the Adobe utility removal to cleanup the corrupted installation files. Rebooted. Installed the latest version. issue was still persist.

Finally just renamed the plugin folder from this location, C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\plug_ins and launched the shortcut. it is working as expected.

After successfull launch, changed the folder from plug_ins_rename to plug_ins. launched agian, no issue persist.

Could you please help me to understand why the exisitng plugin files (before deletion) were not working. how do we fix this for large number of users. is there any automated fix for wider deployment?

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Found the solution!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the DLL file "ComposerPlayerControl.dll" causing this issue.  After remvoing this dll file form this location- C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\plug_ins , we can able to open the PDF files without any issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Thank you so much for your guidance. It works for me after much time searching for a solution for "Invalid plugin detected. Adobe Acrobat Reader will quit" 

• delete/rename folder "plug_ins"
  • Start Acrobat Reader (right click on desktop screen, choose Properties/ Compatibility)
  • Help -> Repair Installation (be quick, only 11 seconds)
  • Acrobat Reader will close though, but the repair process continues
  • after the dialog is closed and start again -> no error message, no self-closing app

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me move this to the Acrobat Reader forum for you, which is the appropriate forum for your question.

The Using the Community forum is for help in using the Adobe Support Community forums, not for help with specific programs. Product questions should be posted in the associated product community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response, LinSims. Please let me know how to post my questions into correct forum? are you going to forward this question and provide me the link? sorry if i am missing something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already moved you to the correct forum. 🙂

For future reference, questions about the Acrobat Reader go in the Acrobat Reader forum: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader/bd-p/acrobat-reader

If you sort the front page by Alphabetical, it's easier to find the forum you need.

find the sort.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the help. Awaiting support for my query :). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awaiting support for my query. Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're in immediate need, you should probably contact technical support. This is a user-to-user forum and there is no guarantee that anyone here will know the answer, although that is often the case. 

Click the following to contact Adobe customer support staff for help: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/support.html

You must be signed in with your Adobe ID and allow cookies in your web browser for this to work. Disable any ad, pop-up, or script blockers.

This is the link to the US website. If you are not in the US, the site should redirect to the page appropriate to the region associated with your ID.

Click the chat icon at the bottom right of the page to open a chat session. Typing AGENT into the chat window should connect you directly to a CSR rather than the AI. Tell them you need TECHNICAL SUPPORT for an issue with Acrobat Reader.

You can also search this page for a regionally appropriate phone number for customer support.

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html.

Be aware that because of the pandemic, wait times are far longer than usual due to reduced staff and higher demand. Please be patient with the people to whom you speak. Like you, they are feeling a great deal of stress. A little patience and understanding will go a long way to helping you in your particular situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your detailed information. Seems chat support is not available for freeware

Muneer5CF5_0-1611698632477.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Support is re-directed to the same page where i posted my queries intially 🙂

Muneer5CF5_0-1611698738579.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, dear. Well, I hope someone here knows the answer to your question. I don't use Acrobat Reader and I've never seen this issue with Acrobat Pro. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your prompt response, LinSims!.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found the solution!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the DLL file "ComposerPlayerControl.dll" causing this issue.  After remvoing this dll file form this location- C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\plug_ins , we can able to open the PDF files without any issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good troubleshooting, but that isn't a plug-in. I _suspect_ the plug-in you havbe is actually ComposerPlayerControl.api - but deleting the DLL broke the other file, and made the problem go away. This seems to be a plug-in that you, or someone else, installed on your computer, for playing "Solidworks Composer" content in PDF. Details here: https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2018/11/solidworks-composer-pdf/

A general tip for this sort of problem. Uninstalling Acrobat or Reader does NOT remove faulty plug-ins; that would be a wrong thing for it to do. So, after uninstalling Acrobat or Reader, look for the Plug_ins folder and delete everything left in it (unless there is a proper uninstaller for the stuff; use that). Be prepared to reinstall any plug-ins you may need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a  good point, @Test Screen Name . I am wondering if there is any way to check the applications impacted by this file (solidwork is not used here).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know this plug-in so I will guess: I think that Solidworks can make special 3D PDF files. These files would need the Solidworks plug-in, and will show a blank space or error message if the plug-in is missing. I can't think of any feasible way to look for the PDFs affected except to wait for reports.

You can also check if Solidworks offer an updated plug-in. If not, we might assume these PDFs are obsolete, in just the same way Flash-based web pages are obsolete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far i know, we are not using solidwork.  i am still trying to understand how to identify the other application which are impacted by this file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have said, this will not affect applications. It will affect PDF files.

At some time, some person decided to install this plug-in (to many systems). The reason to install it was to read one or more PDF files. The PDF files may have been downloaded, sent in email, produced by a system, included in the manual for a product, used in official info, anything. If your company's record keeping does not tell you when or why this decision was made, you can only follow the notes in my previous post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, Thank you very much for your information!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

defaultj53eo9vj15s2_0-1629308675923.png

My plugins located here: E:\Program Files\Reader\plug_ins  (for most it will be C drive)

Open the plug_ins folder, showing around 20 .api files - one or more of these will be invalid.

1. Copy all files to another temp folder

2. Delete all .api files from plug_ins folder

3. Using binary chop method reinstate half the files from temp folder

4. Test pdf file, if now working bring half of the reamaing files back

5. Reapeat steps 3 & 4 until identified the invalid files and pdf tested ok

Using the above turned out that that I had two invalid plugins:

EScript.api

IA32.api

so permanently deleted them. No idea what they do but anyway but Reader now works ok for me.

Strange they were invalid though as they were part of a recent install

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are below plug-in files placing during fresh install? Usually this issue might appears during Adobe upgrade, i.e., lower version of adobe might supports few plug-ins which might not be compatible with higher version.

EScript.api

IA32.api

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it was a fresh install. Originally, I had the same issue when I was running Acrobat from my C drive but did a clean uninstall to remove everything. Re-Installed on my my E drive as more DASD, so the two invalid plugins were installed along with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the version you have installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

v2020.013.20064 downloaded from adobe ftp site

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are core plug-ins, part of Acrobat and needed to make fill-in forms work. If you don't need fill in forms, you may not miss them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just happened after along time using Adobe, Cant read any pdf, but I dont know what binary chop method is

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines