• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat crashing on launch - Invalid plugin detected

Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In our enterprise, few users (60+) are facing an issue while launching  the shortcut Adobe acrobat reader DC, "Invalid Plugin detected. Adobe Acrobat Reader DC will quit".

As mentioned in the Adobe technical forum, downloaded the latest patches from vendor site and installed the same. issue was still persist.

later we had used the Adobe utility removal to cleanup the corrupted installation files. Rebooted. Installed the latest version. issue was still persist.

Finally just renamed the plugin folder from this location, C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\plug_ins and launched the shortcut. it is working as expected.

After successfull launch, changed the folder from plug_ins_rename to plug_ins. launched agian, no issue persist.

Could you please help me to understand why the exisitng plugin files (before deletion) were not working. how do we fix this for large number of users. is there any automated fix for wider deployment?

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Found the solution!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the DLL file "ComposerPlayerControl.dll" causing this issue.  After remvoing this dll file form this location- C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\plug_ins , we can able to open the PDF files without any issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Thank you so much for your guidance. It works for me after much time searching for a solution for "Invalid plugin detected. Adobe Acrobat Reader will quit" 

• delete/rename folder "plug_ins"
  • Start Acrobat Reader (right click on desktop screen, choose Properties/ Compatibility)
  • Help -> Repair Installation (be quick, only 11 seconds)
  • Acrobat Reader will close though, but the repair process continues
  • after the dialog is closed and start again -> no error message, no self-closing app

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this detailed solution, I had exactly the same problem with the newest version of Adobe Acrobat DC 64 Bit (22.001.20169). After a new installation of the desktop app due to another strange reason (corrupted random access memory) I had no troubles for a week, but suddenly this evening the ominous error message appeared several seconds after opening a PDF file. Using your instructions I was able to detect like you the two saboteurs "EScript.api" and "IA32.api". After moving them in a Temp folder the tiresome overlay is finally extinct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! this worked it very well.

I couldn´t change the name to plug_ins.  So I changed it to plug_ins1 and after that everything worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently this is running around like covid again. Possible issue, that many might have: 

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB95265

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even after update 22.003.20314 

That say this was fixed 

4391109: Reader showing Invalid plugin detected error after Jan release Update

I get the same error today so this fix didn't fix the problem 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any was to leave the 

1. EScript.api

2. IA32.api 

in the Plug_ins and to find a workarond that works without remove them ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record - I just experienced this error while opening one particular PDF document (but not others). I was able to solve it by removing escript.api from plugins directory. This was in Adobe Acrobat Reader 2022.003.20263, 64-bit, under Windwos 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...further investigation showed that digital signature of escript.api failed to verify.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2022 Dec 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you :). I was able to resolve the issue with your guidance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to update that if you take out the IA32.api file from the plugin folder you will not be able to print the windows that need to come when you try to print or if you use the icon it will not work. the only fix is to move this file back to the plugin folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We downloaded and installed the latest update 22.003.20310 for the 32-bit version of Adobe Acrobat Reader so that we can deploy it to our organization. However, upon launching the application after install, we receive a fatal error: "Invalid plugin detected. Adobe Acrobat Reader will quit" message. Previous versions from 2022 work fine and do not produce this error. 

Please advise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved this issue deleting folder "plug_ins" from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\" - Adobe Acrobat Reader created it again when started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes ! Works !! Thx a lot

Any idea on "why" ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know for us encountering the error, it was being caused by a 3rd-party add-in. As soon as we removed it from that folder, the issue ceased. If you were to follow @Narciso279086791h9i 's advice, you would be wiping out all 3rd party add-ins. When the folder gets recreated, those 3rd party files don't come back. A more intentional method you could use is the one that @CapitaineSaucisse outlined in his post here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader-discussions/invalid-plugin-detected-adobe-acrobat-read...

Using their method, I found a file "PTC_CreoView0.api" causing issues for a lot of my users. Unless you use the software related to that API file, your culprit will probably be a different API file in that same folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it only partially worked for me:

• Error Message is gone, but after 11 seconds, Acrobat Reader closes, no matter what i'm doing

The final Solution which worked for me:

• Start Acrobat Reader
  • after the dialog is closed and start again -> no error message, no self-closing app

I guess its the first time in computer science, a software repair assistant actually fixed something by itself...

Good Job Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for your guidance. It works for me after much time searching for a solution for "Invalid plugin detected. Adobe Acrobat Reader will quit" 

• Start Acrobat Reader (right click on desktop screen, choose Properties/ Compatibility)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Brian27900134gemn 

Hope you are doing well. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Can you share below details to help us understand the issue further:

1. MSI install logs from folder C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp. Steps to enable logging : https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/application-management/enable-windows-...

2. Share the dump / filelist from plugins folder - ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\plug_ins"

3. Are you using any third party plugin in Reader before applying the patch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found out which api is causing the crash. In our case it is the STDocTransfer.api (something to do with the signature software from signosign). After I deleted the api from the PlugIn folder, the error was gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Thank you for your patience so far.

We have released an optional update (22.003.20314) that addresses this issue.

Please try updating the application. Go to Help > Check for updates. 

For more information, refer to the following help document: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/continuous/dccontinuousjan2023qfe.....

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded Adobe Acrobat Reader DC recently and I am not able to use it. A message pops up saying "Invalid plug in detected. Reader will quit. How to fix this? I downloaded Adobe Reader to my desktop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described, you are getting the error invalid plugin detected. Adobe Reader will quit on opening Acrobat Reader DC application.

What is the version of the Acrobat Reader DC  you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the latest version installed. Go to Help > Check for Updates and reboot the computer once and check.

Are you on mac or Windows machine and what is the version of the OS?

Please try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Windows or enable the root account in Mac and try using the application there and check.

You may also check out the correct answer marked (For Windows) in a similar discussion https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader/invalid-plugin-detected-adobe-acrobat-reader-dc-will-q... and see if that  helps.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello
I will try some of the things you recommended.

Best, Colin Powell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is still not working. I really have no idea what I'm doing. I have Windows 8 and did download the latest version of Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that, have you tried creating a new test user profile in Windows OS and using the application there as suggested earlier?

Please share your findings how it goes.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, when opening a PDF doc in IE from the browser itself, the PDF will open however in 3 seconds or so, an error appears stating 'Invalid Plugin detected. Adobe Acrobat Reader DC will quit.' This error will appear even when Acrobat isnt open in the background. The same PDF works fine in Chrome, so thinking it may be an IE issue? Any tips?  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I the the problem is that Internet Explorer is OLD and probably has problems with newer plugins. Also, Acrobat no longer includes Flash, so IE could be looking for it. 

I would move to Microsoft Edge if using Windows 10 or just stick with Chrome. Only use IE for ancient websites that might still require it--otherwise avoid using it. It barely supports newer HTML5/CSS3 websites.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines