• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader slow opening PDF documents

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2015 Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat "DC" (detail below) takes a very long time to open each PDF file.  After double-click on a PDF almost 30 seconds elapses before it opens.  That's not right.   The old reader worked fine.  This "DC" version has trouble.

In addition, it provides an inferior way to save the document (a list of previously-used folders, or always "Documents" if I select "Choose a different folder".  Why not remember the *last* different folder I chose?  Annoying.

Can this be removed and replaced with the old reader?

Installed Acrobat: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe

Version: 9.0.0.2008061200

Creation Date: 2008/06/12

Creation Time: 02:25:18

Installed Acrobat: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

Version: 15.9.20077.160923

Creation Date: 2015/10/23

Creation Time: 16:27:02

Locale: English (United States)

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7

OS Version: 6.1.7601  Service Pack 1

Total Physical Memory: 3537396 KB

Total Virtual Memory: 2097024 KB

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Hi Mark,

If Acrobat is taking longer to open PDF documents I will suggest you to clear temp folder.

To get classic file open or save dialog, try this:

Open Acrobat

Go to Edit > Preferences > General

Uncheck the option, Show online storage when opening files & Show online storage when saving files

Click OK

Thanks,

Abhishek

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me.  With all the other security measures in place nowadays, program security is redundant and should be removed as it is NO LONGER NEEDED and besides WHO CARES?  If someone wants to read my files I say LET THEM so the word about my work gets out there in the world even if someone copies my work for their own benefit.  I say So the F what.  If security is needed to prevent someone running exploitive code thats another story meaning the software is faulty in the first place.  FIX THE HOLES in the code then rather than a silly security skin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works! Thanks to the guru!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a star! Works perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still a problem I have encountered over the last few weeks (September 2022).  This fixed the issue.  Maybe if we give Adobe a few more years they can fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the correct answer. This has been bugging me for years and I just discovered this today. Thank you, Milan. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears to help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2022 Dec 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally a solution.  Thanks Milan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been looking for this fix for years!! THANKS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked, for now. Fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 4 years later and your answer is still helping people.

Thank you sooooooooooo much. This was driving me insane!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad this keeps helping people! Though it doesn't permanently solve the problem for everyone. I get regular notice of "thank you" posts, so I'm glad I took the time to post my solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your a Legend for this Milan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Milan, you're a miracle worker!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

milanmendis,

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!  This seems scary to do, but this SOLVED the eternity to view, save, and etc anything pdf.  Thank you, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad it worked for all of you. I already had every box unchecked that suggestions previously posted had indicated. Something is being updated on the back end that all of a sudden causes this issue. It appeared out of nowhere for me about weeke ago. I've tried restarting my PC, shutting it down completely and walking away for 5 minutes, nothing works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2019 Aug 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is thia answer makred as the correct answer. I have the same issue and this option in preferences was unchecked already. It doesn't do a tiny bit of difference so why is it marked as the correct answer. Adobe, you should stop doing this marking answer as the correct answer when you can see many people saying that did not work for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

many many tech calls, AA reinstalls, registry tweaks etc, even overclocked PC, switched to third part file explorer. The delays I get are only when opening from any file explorer, MS or 3rd party. Awful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is NOT the fix - I agree! Option was not checked when I went into Security Enhanced either. I even disabled "Enable Enhanced Security" - which I know isn't a good thing - to see if that helped.  Nope. Nuance PDF is a competing product that doesn't have this bug. I'm gonna switch back, after paying the $140 annual cost of Adobe Pro. What a waste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try "repair installatoin"

if that deosn't solve the issue, go to preferences , documents, and lower the "documents in recently used list to 5 or lower.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work. Reduced the # of documents in Recently Used to 5 and let it go for 3 weeks like this. No difference. Still SUPER SLOW opening .pdfs from Outlook email. Also, now the program is buggy - a new problem in the last month - and we get "Not Responding" and it greys out for a time while waiting to open .pdfs. We hardly use Adobe Pro now; changed our office defaults to NUANCE PDF (Kofax).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too, canceled Pro subscription, using nuance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine was also unchecked and was still working slow.  I figured out the fix, Add a Privileged Location. go to Edit > Preferences > Security (Enhanced) > Add Folder Path button at the bottom.  Then add the folder you commonly open pdfs from, such as C:/Users/[user]/Documents, this will blast past the slow opening.  Be aware that this probably bypasses some security scan or something but they open blazing fast, see the warning below.  Hope this helps.

SSeverns_0-1615684276582.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the previous suggestions worked for me.

What I am doing now is have the acrobat software open, and drag the pdf files directly into the opened software.  They open immediately!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't you have to same the document first to drag it into Adobe? I just tried to drag a .pdf from an Outlook email into Adobt and you can't do it. If I have to save it first, then I might was well keep doing what we've been doing, Right Click and open with Nuance PDF (Kofax). Adobe lost us as a customer months ago over this Bug, which they've failed to address for at least the past year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's so bad! I spend good money on my hardware and use reputable software so that I don't have to deal with these frustrations! I can't believe Adobe can't deal with PDFs properly... I honestly thought they're the ones who invented PDFs!

I tried deselecting protected view. I tried adding folders to priveliged locations. I tried dragging files directly into an opened Acrobat window. Nothing works... Adobe is not on form! the software is just rubbish! time to switch to a different brand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines