• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Didnt set password, still my PDF file is asking for a password to open

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several PDF files that I used to be able to open, but now, they are asking for a password. I did not create a password for any of these files. Has anyone encountered this problem before? If so, how do I resolve it? Thank you.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

I've seen this recently and it was fixed in Reader using a patch. Make sure you have the very latest update.

In Reader use Help>Check for updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 121 Replies 121
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ryan,

We're sorry for the trouble you had while opening the PDF file. Are you opening the PDF files in Adobe Reader or in any browser?

Have you created these PDF files by yourself, or have you received them? If any password was applied to the PDF file by the owner of the PDF, then the password is required to open the PDF file and there is no workaround to remove the password from the PDF and open it if you don't remember the password.

Are you getting the password prompt while opening a specific PDF or with all the PDF files? What is the dot version of Adobe Reader installed? To identify refer to Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Navigate to the Document Properties from File>Properties>Securtiy and check the Document Security method. Is the Security Method is selected as "Password Security"?

Let us know how it goes and share your observation.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Day,

The PDF files are PDF confirmation receipts that I saved. I did not use or generate a password when I saved the files. With the files on my computer, I was always able to go back and open them up without being requested to enter a password.

Now that it is a little over a year since the files were saved into my computer, when I try to open the files, it is asking for a password. I only get the password prompt for several PDF files. The other PDF files in my computer open just fine without asking for a password.

I have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. Continuous Release. Version 2018.011.20055. I am unable to check the Document Security Method for the files in question because I am unable to open the files.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What has Adobe done. Reader is almost unusabel now. You guys are really something. I hope someone takes you on in both your programs and PS BS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. It became useless. I have been trying to combine my own files and reduce the size but with no success for the past 2 days. Super frustrated with this program. The program is asking me for password although I didn't create any password for these documents, they are my docs not anyone else. Terrible 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same issue.  I downloaded bank statements from Chase and Citi.  IF I open the PDFs individually, I can open them just fine.  If I want to combine documents to form one PDF, it prompts me to provide a password.  None of these documents are password protected.  What is the solution besides printing and scanning to a PDF.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> None of these documents are password protected

They are, or they are digitally signed. For the former look under File - Properties - Security; For the latter open the Signatures pane and check there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this recently and it was fixed in Reader using a patch. Make sure you have the very latest update.

In Reader use Help>Check for updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like my Acrobat Reader is up to date, so I uninstalled it and re-installed afterwards. Still no go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ryan,

We're sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. Please navigate to Adobe Reader's Preferences from Edit>Preferences>Security(Enhanced)>Turn off 'Protected View' and 'Enhanced Security' and check.

Remove Adobe Reader using Acrobat cleaner tool Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

Reboot the machine and install Adobe Reader again from Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution

Is it possible to share a sample PDF file with us which is asking for a password so that we can test it at our end? To share the file, please use Adobe Send feature, login to https://cloud.acrobat.com/send using your Adobe ID(email) and password, upload the file, share the link to files via private message only, How Do I Send Private Message

Let us know how it goes and share your observation.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2018 Aug 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I turned off the protected view and enhanced security on the Adobe Reader, and the files in question are still asking for a password.

I removed and re-installed the Adobe Reader using the instructions you provided, but the problem persists.

Unfortunately, I am unable to share the files for testing because they contain personal information. I will try look for some files that do not contain such information and send those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ryan,

We're sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. Please install the latest patch of Adobe Reader from DC Release Notes — Release Notes for Acrobat DC Products and check if the issue persists.

Let us know if you can share a file which is asking for the password so that we can test it at our end.

Thanks for your time and patience thus far.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2019 Jul 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am facing the same problem as brought out by Ryan above. I have tried the everything as suggested by you like reinstalling the software. It didn't help. I am still unable to open my PDF files which are of 2011 to 2014 vintage. There were no password protection when I downloaded these files, but now it is asking for a password. There was no password put in. Please help.

Regards,

Sandeep

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I turned off

I went to Security Method  and selected 'No Security'...and it still asks me for a Password that I NEVER created in the first place. This was after I uninstalled and reinstalled Acrobat DC Pro. Please help, I'm going crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

never mind, I resolved it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How???? please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us the actual version in full. Failed updates are behind a lot of problems so never say just “up to date”.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2018 Aug 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. Continuous Release.

Version 2018.011.20055.

File Version 18.011.20055.27899

AGM Version 4.030.00078

Cool Type Version 5.01400033

Core Version 18.2816

JP2K Version 1.002.00002.41223

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide an answer to this issue.  I made pdfs for someone a few years ago using irfanview.  They use adobe reader and have been viewing them fine.  Now, years later after updating operating system and adobe they are finding "some" of the pdfs are asking for a password. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send us a screenshot of this dialog, and/or a sample file?

It would also be helpful to know the exact version number of Reader the user has.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Users have win7 + Adobe Acrobat 11 + secure pdf with no password, asking for a permissions password

*workaround found*

resaved pdf with no compression

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same isse. When I try to open a PDF it asks for a password and I created the PDF and did not use a password. So frudtrated as I need to see and use all of my PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the file with us, or at the very least a screenshot of the dialog you're seeing, including the full application window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here on a Mac running the latest Mojave. Acrobat Reader is up to date. It doesn't matter what file. This is a real pain in the butt. I'm just going to use Preview and tell everyone to ditch Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any head way being made on this because there are hundreds of people out there with the same issue, myself included... just renewed my license in TX to learn i can't print, or even view the temporary license. All over a passwors i never even made? This is very VERY bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines