• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Online vs Downloaded pdf search problem

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I do a CTRL +F search through an online pdf document eg, Bound For Australia, I get a nil result but if I search just on the word - Bound - I get results and can scroll through and find what I am looking for. However, if I download the pdf to my PC and search for Bound For Australia, it immediately finds the search string. Why does it not work with an online pdf but it does once downloaded? It is extremely annoying as we are a small society who have their library catalogue uploaded to our website so that members can search for a relevent book. We can't expect them to download the library catalogue every time they want to do a search.

TOPICS
PDF and browsers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Works fine for me in Reader and in Acrobat:

try67_0-1656164346275.png

If it doesn't work for you in Chrome the issue is with the Chrome PDF plugin. You need to report it to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

I deleted the Chrome Adobe plug in and a search works perfectly, so you are very right - it is a problem with the plug in. I will let them know.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Online PDFs are viewed in a browser. Each browser has a different PDF viewer built in, and any complaints need to be directed to the maker... yes, it's annoying. But Adobe can't fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a blow as it will be very hard to get the members to all fix their browser let alone anyone from the general public undertaking a search. I was hoping their was something we could do to our pdf before uploading it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What browser are you using when you view the file "online"? What application are you using when you view it after you saved it to the computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the Chrome browser to view online and Adobe Reader DC after it has been saved to my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the file contains real text then it should be searchable in Reader. Can you share a sample file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file is searchable text as it is a Word document. If the file is downloaded you can search a title of a book but if you are searching the doucment online you can only search on with one word. I've attached the file and the online version is here http://www.botanybayfhs.org.au/uploads/5/1/1/7/51172945/2019_list_of_books.pdf 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further to the above where a hit is only received searching by one word, one of our members has discovered the following: 

"I have the same issue however after playing with it for a while I found a work around. If you leave the spaces out it works. Searching for boundforaustralia returns one hit. I use google chrome and searching normal web pages for multiple words with spaces works yet without spaces does not work. However if it is an online PDF file then it is the other way around. I have no idea why this happens.  It may be the way pdf files treat spaces."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works fine for me in Reader and in Acrobat:

try67_0-1656164346275.png

If it doesn't work for you in Chrome the issue is with the Chrome PDF plugin. You need to report it to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all your help.

Jennie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I deleted the Chrome Adobe plug in and a search works perfectly, so you are very right - it is a problem with the plug in. I will let them know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines