• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Out of memory with two page view in Adobe Reader DC

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do a lot of work with PDFs of images from Google Books and for the past year or so I've been having problems with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC throwing out-of-memory errors. I'm currently at version 2020.013.20074. 

Here is one file that is behaving badly: https://books.google.com/books?id=xHoPfmFJC9AC (click the gear icon and select Download PDF)

When I open file this file in Reader and watch the memory usage in Task Manager, I see that it stabilizes at about 330 MB after about 30 seconds. Scrolling increases the amount of memory used, but the memory stabilizes once I stop scrolling.

However, if I switch to View->Page Display->Two Page View, without any further scrolling, the memory usage increases at a rate of about 10 MB/sec until it reaches about 3.6 GB, at which point I get an out of memory error.

It is also sufficient just to open the file and switch to Two Page View, without doing any scrolling at all.

I have tried: disabling Protected mode at startup; uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe Reader, and also using the AdobeAcroCleaner, with no benefit.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, but puzzling.

I downloaded the file you pointed to and opened same in Two Page View in Acrobat Pro DC (which shares the exact same display logic as Reader) and have no problem scrolling through the entire document without any memory errors at all. The highest virtual memory utilization I can see is about 1.5GB, well under the 3GB limit for 32-bit applications under Windows.

Do you get any of these “out of memory” messages if you scroll with only a single page visible?

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today, for whatever reason, the behavior is a bit different. I am still seeing out of memory errors (sometimes preceded by "insufficient data for image"), but it's taking a little more work. Now symptoms are basically the same whether single or two-page view. I scroll for a few pages, watch the memory usage increase until it stabilizes, then start scrolling again. So the "spontaneous" memory increase when I go to two-page view is not happening at present. It takes me five minutes or a little more to reach the 3+ GB limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This problem has not gone anywhere, and seems it's been there atleast since 2017. Did some testing today.

I had multiple documents open and got drawing/memory error. Closed all documents and just had adobe reader open in the home screen. Memory usage over 500MB.

Restarted Adobe Acorbat Reader DC and it was taking 35MB

Opened pdf document, created with adobe software, no autocad. Size < 10MB on harddrive. Memory usage goes up by every page till it reaches 500MB.

After this i just left this one document open, on single page and put the reader on background. For next ~1h memory usage kept slowly but steadily rising and processor usage was between 3-5% on the i7 9850H

Memory usage reached peak of 1.8GB and at this point stoped, since Adobe reader ran into a error. 

At this time there was alot more memory available.

This is just ridiculous and annoying. Many people are using the software and facing issues.

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 2020.013.20074

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines