----- Original message -----

Re: PDF data from a recovery cannot be opened
(Adobe Support Community episode update) Date: 2020-04-22T07: 43: 16 + 0200
From: "Adobe Support Community Mailer" <community_noreply@adobe.com>
To: [PII removed by mod]

[PII removed by mod]

Reference: My problem report from April 20, 2020 
[repeated after extended analysis with small additions] 

After a chaotic upgrade from Windows7 to Windows10, after backing up all private files with which I had to overwrite the old backup on a separate hard drive, I noticed the mutual lack of a whole, very extensive and very important file subfolder for me. I was finally able to find him with Recuva.

After restoring it, none of these PDF files could be opened with the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC set as the default, not even with a newly installed reader. The note that appears shows "that the file type is not supported or that the files are damaged (eg if they were sent as an e-mail attachment and were not decoded correctly)."

In fact, none of these files had been linked to an email, but instead had been converted to PDF files and saved using MS-Works or LibreWriter. I had always used a recommended PDF creator to do this.

The opening of these text files not only failed due to the Adobe Reader, but also due to the Microsoft Edge and Foxit Reader used as an alternative. Is there still a way to bring the files that are very important to me back to life? All other PDF files that were not affected by the restoration can be easily opened with Adobe Reader.

For this purpose, Mr. Alheit from the community first suggested: "OPEN THE FILE IN NOTEPAD", and asked about it: "WHAT CAN YOU SEE WHEN YOU OPEN THE FILE IN NOTEPAD?"

Here are my other findings: After dragging the mouse pointer over the file names in the usual small window, the information about the file type (Adobe Acrobat Document) as well as the file size and the last modification date are given.

Via "Settings" for the individual files, windows were opened with a right-click, of which I made copies for you using a representative file, which I transferred to the attachment to this email. They contain the same information in all cases. I conclude that the files are still completely present in the system, but cannot be opened (the only exception: two of several data overviews that I created using spreadsheets and then saved as PDF files).

PHHBecker / Netzthemen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Let me move this to the Acrobat Reader forum for you, where you are more likely to receive an answer to your question.

The Community Help forum is for help in using the Adobe Support Community forums, not for help with specific programs. Product questions should be posted in the associated product community.

I am also removing your PII from your post. This is a public forum, and Adobe strongly recommends that you not share your personally identifying information to protect yourself from scammers and identity thiefs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines