• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF file saving as Chrome HTML Document

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know why my Adobe suddenly started saving all my "PDF's" as Chrome HTML Documents?  How can I fix this?!>!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Hi, I faced the same problem: Here is how I got on top of it:

1. On Windows 10: Click on MS icon on left corner of the task bar (4 rectangles or windows sign)

2. Right click > Control panel > Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Associations

3. Sort by Description (Other available options are Name, Current Default)

4. You will notice that the (Adobe Acrobat Document) PDF files have been associated with Chrome html or other similar file types like firefox etc

5. Click any one file name which is

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This particular message "[38445] A failure occurred in the document conversion process. The document cannot be viewed at this time." seems to mean that something went wrong when the PDF was made, and before it was saved.  Contact the webmaster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked a treat for me. Thank you.  However, when I go to the folder to open the file, instead of a thumbnail of the document, I now get just an Adobe Acrobat Reader icon. I wanted to change the setting so that I no longer got the Chrome icon.  Is there a way to change it so that I see a thumbnail of the document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! Your directions weren't exact on my new Windows 10, but you got me to the point where I needed to be to change it.

The audacity of Chrome to take control like that. How annoying.

You rock! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I've read through all the posts relating to this problem, but unfortunately the instructions don't work for Windows 7. All of my PDF files have the Chrome symbol as apposed to the PDF doc symbol. This happened about 2 weeks ago, and the only way to open these documents is to open Chrome. Opening programs automatically brings up the alpha list of programs on my system, with no option to change: only uninstall. I did check for extensions, and there wasn't one for Adobe. About the same time this started with the PDF's, one game site I go to told me it couldn't open or play any games because Flash player wasn't updated! Now every time I go into the site, I get the same message, with a pop up to allow Adobe Flash. Once I allow it, the game works, but this is a daily issue. I'm at my wits end. Can you give me any help on this matter?? Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikki, this is nothing at all to do with Flash Player. The Adobe app concerned is Acrobat Reader. Please start Acrobat Reader and open one of these files with Open from the File menu.  Does that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked perfectly!  Thanks for the easy fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2019 Sep 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay!  I defeated Chrome!  Thank you krishnaa0205!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a quick way of doing this , in the search bar type  " default apps " 

scroll down, click link to "Choose default apps by file type"

scroll down to .pdf 

click on the chrome icon > opens a box >choose the app you want ie: adobe > Select. 

All should be good 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!!!!

All of a sudden this started to happen.   Out of no-where!

Your fix directions simple to follow and worked like a charm!    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. thank you. I coould not get the earlier fixes figured out but this was easy. Be Blessed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! It worked in seconds. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing the Adobe extension in Chrome worked for me.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! How would I go about doing this on a Mac? I was able to "save link as" as a pdf until a few days ago and now it wants to do everything as HTML. Do you have the step by step process for a Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank to your guidenece.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with all of my documents showing the Chrome HTML filename and I changed it according to above. But what happened with me is now I cannot drop one of the PDFs into an email. When I do so, it populates over the entire folder and it is getting really frustrating! It even happened when I scanned a new document from my printer and it scanned as a PDF but when I tried to attach it in an email, the same thing happened. Help me please if you can!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Helped a friend fix this problem. In this case, Acrobat Reader was missing. We re-installed it and set the default program for pdf to Acrobat Reader and all was well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

krishnaa0205, Thank you so much!!!! I purchased a new computer and Chrome turned all of my pdf's to Chrome documents, it was horrible. Your messagemade my evening so much better. 

Thanks again!

I don't like edge because it did that. Now Chrome does it, not a good thing. It should be our choice I thought we lived in a dictatorship free world; it would be nice if these internet companies respected that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I found it simple to just right click on one if the errant files then click properties at the bottom of list. Then when properties opens, under general tab where it says "opens with" (should say Chrome currently) hit the "change" button and click Adobe. It changed all my errant files back to Adobe in one click! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple solution: select a PDF file (which is currently showing HTML file type) - right click - "open with" - select Adobe Acrobat DC - click "Apply"!!!

If you don't click "Apply", you will still able to open the current file with Adobe, but the rest of PDT files in your computer will still remain the HTML file type.

Once your existing PDF files all come back to Adobe file type (with a PDF file icon), a PDF file will be saved, well, as a PDF file with Adobe file type now.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Windows 11. I followed the instructions above but there was no option to "Apply". Perhaps it has changed with this new version of Windows? Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete Adobe from your PC then reinstall it and it will ask you to make PDF the default file format and remove chrome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When for some reason everything that came from somewhere other than things I created were html rather than pdf I started looking for solutions. After trying all type of things to no avail, I finally came up with the best and easiest solution. I completely deleted the adobe pdf extension from Chrome and restarted my computer. When everything came back up, all downloaded files were magically changed to a pdf  file type rather than html.

I am running Windows 10 with all updates  and have the latest updates installed of Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happened to me too. After research I found an easy solution:

1 Go to Settings, then select "Apps".

2 On left side, Select Default Apps".

3 Under Default Apps, Select "Set Default By Apps" highlighted in blue.

4 Select "Adobe Acrobat DC", then select "Manage".

5 Change the .pdf from Chrome to Adobe by clicking on the chrome symbol.

This should fix your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help! With Windows 11 my steps 3-5 of your list were a bit
different but I was able to get it to work.
Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much!  I could not find the way the other directions suggested. This works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines