Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF fillable form not displaying field data

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings, 

I have an employee who is receiving fillable PDF forms for work via email. When opening file preview on the form within Outlook Desktop the form is displayed and the field data is in the fields designated. When opening the PDF with Reader or Acrobat Pro the forms field data is blank. Clicking on fields to highlight test does not reveal anything, and trying to insert a space and delete the space within the field nothing is revealed. When opening the file with MS Edge, all the forms field data is then viewable. I have another employee that was able to open the same form using their Acrobat XI and was able to view the field data as well. With opening the PDF's via Edge, we are able to print form to MS Print to PDF and upon doing so and opening with Reader or Acrobat Pro the form data is viewable.  I have checked the versions of Reader and Acrobat Pro and both are up to date as well. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
PDF and browsers , PDF forms , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

This is usually the fault of the application used to fill in the form, most likely Apple Preview, MS Reader or one of the browser plugins. Instruct the users to only use Adobe Reader and it should work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a similar issue: Upon opening the PDF in Acrobat Reader (ver. 2020.009.20067) the form fields are blank. But, in our case, if you click in a field location, the data shows up - only for that one field.
Another interesting discovery is if you zoom the window (in any direction) everything suddenly appears.  Very strange. 

NOTES: We received the document from someone else but the properties reveal the following: 
Application: Acrobat PDFMaker 20 for Word. 
PDF Producer:  Adobe PDF Library 20.9.95
PDF Version is:   1.6 (Acrobat 7.x)

I have played with different settings in Adobe Reader, but do not want to spend a lot of time on this. I have the feeling it will be fixed with a software revision: Either Adobe Reader or Acrobat PDFMaker 20 for Word??? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is usually the fault of the application used to fill in the form, most likely Apple Preview, MS Reader or one of the browser plugins. Instruct the users to only use Adobe Reader and it should work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply.  But, for myself and T_Hubbard, Adobe Reader IS the problem this time. Ironically, other applications and plug-ins are not having an issue displaying field content. 

Adobe Reader = fields are blank until you click in them or resize the window

Outlook Desktop with preview pane = OK - the fields are all populated

File Explorer with preview pane = OK - the fields are all populated

Chrome Browser = OK - the fields are all populated

Edge Browser = OK - the fields are all populated

It is not a big deal for me because my user has a "work-around" for this one particular document. But I am curious as to why it is happening and if it will be fixed on the next Adobe Reader update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you share the work around

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But this is NOT the correct answer in this case.  Both posts My post states that Adobe Reader DOES NOT WORK. Other applications do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact they work doesn't necessarily mean they work correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BC-TW, This was the correct answer for my issue. After having the original user use Adobe Reader to complete the form, instead of MS Edge previewer, and resubmitting it there were no further issues. It may not be the correct issue for your case, but it was for mine.

In addition, I tested this theory myself as well by using the same form. When opening the file with Adobe Reader the form date was present. Upon opening the same file with MS Edge previewer and editing the form and then saving as a PDF, the form data was no longer able to be seen via Adobe Reader, but was able to be seen when re-opening it via MS Edge previewer. There seems to be an issue with saving a pdf via another program and then trying to use Adobe to open that said file. Hopefully Adobe can correct this in a future update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah I see.  Thank you so much for the update. I apologize for any mix ups of our issues.  Glad you are all set. Thank you for setting me straight. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cvan confirm that this issue is still not fixed.Thank you all for the dialog on this thread as you guys made it easy for me to diagnose this problem with a simple google search and a little bit of reading. Blessings. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes! same here.

but really sad to see that, as is usual, adobe moves incredibly slow on fixing bugs 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use Acrobat Reader to fill in form fields, then save the form and open it for viewing in a browser, only some of the fields I filled appear populated in the browser. This is an issue because it is an official government form, and when I try to upload it to the government website, the fields that don't appear populated in browser also don't appear populated in the preview of the uploaded form.

I solved by opening in browser, filling fields in browser, then printing to PDF from browser. But this should not be necessary.

Why do Adobe products not fill Adobe forms?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of a cop-out is that??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not an answer at all.

First say my bank to change the PDF creator. I cannot change what other people use for documents.

Second the document I cannot read was created in Adobe LiveCycle Designer. At least program within one brand should be compatible, dont you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also experiencing this problem (field data does not appear until field is clicked) in a document that has been created and used in Acrobat Pro ONLY (i.e. no other software used to view, edit or fill in form). This is therefore (at least) an Acrobat problem.

I've noticed that repeated openings of the same document result in different fields within the document being displayed - i.e open once, field A is blank, field B is shown; open a second time (without saving in between) and field A is shown, field B is blank.

It looks very much like a screen refresh/redraw problem to me. The document is reasonably complex (~300 fields), and sometimes just scrolling down and then up again will refresh the display so all fields show. Also, just changing the display theme in Acrobat (View, Display Theme, choose an alternate value) will resolve the problem and display all the fields properly.

This is occurring in both Acrobat Pro 2017 Release (Classic) | Version 2017,011,30171 and Acrobat Pro DC Continuous Release | Version 2020.009.20074.

Adobe, it looks like some work is needed here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Does anyone's PDF form look this screwed up....I have uninstalled/reinstalled adobe, restarted computer, updated graphics drivers, updated adobe, opened other PDFs which only blackout when scrolling.  I did not purchase adobe, only need the reader.  My HP laptop is new (4 months old) Envy x360. 

Wherever i move the cursor and click the area will become partially readable but only in that area the previous area i clicked on will turn black.

any ideas?

Ty2020_0-1595970597519.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have one staff member that is having this same problem.  I have found no solution for this.  Help from Adobe would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Acrobat Pro DC- updated version via subscription. A collegue uses same and is able to see data in form fields, and I am unable to. HELP????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here - the pdf fillable form was created using Adobe.  I am running Adobe 20.012.20048.  Same behavior happening as Zaniwoop.  You shouldn't have to use edge or preview to see the pdf data.  Adobe - please send out a patch update on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That "solution" doesn't work for me either. Adobe Reader is the problem. It is opening PDFs as blank when the same pdf can be opened in Chrome or other applications completely populated. Clicking on the cells where there should be text doesn't reveal anything. This seems to be a new development in Adobe Reader; I haven't had the issue before today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have encounter this issues as well. The PDFs show properly when previewing in Outlook, but once you open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat STD or Pro the fields no longer show the data. I was able to solve the issue when the PDF Producer was MAC ios by going to Edit>Preferences>Forms and unchecking ‘Show border hoover color for fields’. I am still encountering the blank fields on a PDF that has the PDF Producer as Adobe LiveCycle Designer 11.0. Please let me know if you can think of anything else to try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue, any one found a fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 20.012.20048 version 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! This worked for me:
Edit --> Preferences -->Forms, and unchecking ‘Show border hoover color for fields’. 

I was so annoyed that forms I previously created in Adobe Standard 2020, then sent to my clients to complete, when the clients returned the forms I could not see the data in the form fields, when in Adobe Standard 2020.
I could see the field data when I previewed the PDF in Chrome.
But could not see the field data when the PDF was opened in Adobe Standard 2020.
This only started happening recently. So it is some upgrade that has a bug/flaw. Adobe please fix!
THANK YOU stellar25677166

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...going to Edit>Preferences>Forms and unchecking ‘Show border hoover color for fields’...

By @stellar25677166

This resolved the issue for my team working with government forms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines