Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF Not Printing Properly From Gmail

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is an Adobe error or a Gmail error, I'm leaning more towards the latter but would appreciate any help in resolving this.

My typical Adobe use case is using the Reader plugin within the Chrome browser. I am able to print most PDF documents, but I'm having an issue with a specific PDF only when attached to Gmail. I am able to print PDF documents from other sources within Chrome without issue. I am able to print other PDF documents when attached to Gmail without issue. I am able to download this PDF attachement, open the file, print, and it comes out without issue. But when I open a specific PDF in Gmail and print, it comes out wrong, the fonts are improperly sized significantly. This issue occurs within the Chrome browser, Edge, and Firefox. Any direction in resolving this issue is appreciated. Thank you.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Hi there

Hope you are donig well and sorry to hear that. 

Web browsers use their own PDF mechanism to render and display the PDF documents and they are not Adobe dependant. It is recommended to download the PDF to your computer locally and then print (the ideal way). As its an issue with a particular PDF file, there isn't much we can do with out looking at the file.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are donig well and sorry to hear that. 

Web browsers use their own PDF mechanism to render and display the PDF documents and they are not Adobe dependant. It is recommended to download the PDF to your computer locally and then print (the ideal way). As its an issue with a particular PDF file, there isn't much we can do with out looking at the file.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just met a very similiar problem with printing PDF files from Gmail, very similiar to thew question asked here.

With a PDF file attached to an email in web accessed mail, doible clicking the PDF attachment should open Adobe DC and allow it to be printed.    In this case it does not open Adobe, but another page of Chrome so when that is printed the text is cut off from the righthand edge of the page.       It is not the PDF or the email as there are 2 accesses setup for the Owner and his wife, his wife when doble clicking the PDF opens Adobe DC and prints properly, whereas the Owner it does not open Adobe DC.

I feel it is a registry problem, but they are using the same Windows logon, and thus the same actions for the desktop, so it could be Gmail.

Can you advise on Registry entries so I can track this down to what is going wrong with the Owners gmail printing.

thank you 

Peter 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thank you for reaching out.

Could you please confirm if both the owner and wife are opening PDF from Gmail on the Chrome browser? Check the browser settings set up to open PDF. 

See if the wife uses any email client on the machine or an alternate browser. That might be the reason that the PDF opens directly in Acrobat. 

If yes, please ask them to share the video on how the files are opening at their end.

The chrome browser uses its PDF mechanism to render and display the PDF documents, and they are not Adobe dependent. However, if you are using the Adobe extension, you get the option to open PDF in the Acrobat desktop application.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"doible clicking the PDF attachment should open Adobe DC and allow it to be printed."

You say it SHOULD but do you have any particular reason to think it will? I'd like it to happen for me, but it isn't what happpens, and that's how the browser is set up to work in my case. (Not Gmail, which just delivers the PDF and not Reader, who isn't invited to the party.)

It might depend on the browser in use, so that's the first thing to establish. The behaviour might not be changeable, but it's a starting point. If it's the same browser, then try viewing a regular PDF file anywhere on the web and see if the same things happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the pon t that it should open adobe, is the fact that Windows will look for Adobe DC when it sees a PDF to open, that is built in the Windows default section.    The trouble here is that it works on Wifes email but not Owners email, and both use Gmail webaccess but on the same desktop!

Really strange situation.   I am told the Owner used to be able to do it, but it stopped working.

My thoughs are either Gmail or a Registry entry missing for him on his profile.

To the other reply.  I will ask if they can do a video so it can be passed on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

" is the fact that Windows will look for Adobe DC when it sees a PDF to open, that is built in the Windows default section. " Yes, this happens when you double click in Windows File Explorer. But the browser makes its own rules. For some files it may download, then run the Windows association. For other files it may just download, or block, or use a built-in viewer. So the place to look is the browser settings. Nothing in Gmail or Reader or Windows can influence the browser's initial decisions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines