• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF reader can't open pdfs.

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Literally cannot open any pdf. PDF reader has worked for me in the past, a number of months ago.

I have reinstalled the program mulitple times, nothing.

I am able to open Reader DC, but if I try to open a pdf, any pdf, it simply closes and doesn't tell me anything.

Completely useless.

I've tried speaking to Adobe tech support and they can't do anything since I don't pay for this service.

It is advertised as free, and should work as it always has throughout human history.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone at Adobe could address this issue, as being able to open PDF files is crucial to most functions on a computer.

I click on a pdf, nothing happens. I try to open through Reader DC, nothing happens and it closes.

Can't be elaborate much more than that.

Any help would be appreciated. Windows 10 user btw.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MOVED TO THE ACROBAT READER FORUM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the specific version of Acrobat Reader (not "latest"), please ask if you aren't sure how to find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader DC 32 bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described you are unable to open the PDF using Acrobat Reader as it closes with no error message.

What happens when you try to open the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC application? 

What is the version of the Adobe Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help menu > About Acrobat and make sure you have the latest version 21.05.20060 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

If the file is stored on a shared network/drive, please download it to your computer first and then try to open it and check.

Please try to repair the installation from the help menu and reboot the computer and check.

also try to turn off the protected mode fo testing (Win Only) Go to Edit > Preferences > Enhanced Secuirty > Uncheck 'Enable protected mode at startup' Turn off the Protecte dmode and uncheck 'Enhanced Security' > Click OK and reboot the computer.

Note: Please turn on the security after testing to avoid any security risk.

Also, try to reset the Acrobat Preferences as described in the help page https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau...

You may also try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Windows and try using the application there.

If it still doesn't work, please remove the application using the Acrobat cleaner tool https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html , reboot the computer and reinstall the application using the link https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate the reply.

I checked and have the latest version, 21.05.20060. No updates available.

When i try to go to preferences in acrobat the program abruptly closes.

All I am able to do with the program is open dc reader and view the basic menu. Any file I try to open results in the prgram closing.

I tried reseting the preferences folder, and no change.

I also tried to uninstall the program again and run the cleaner.

The cleaner simply closed after I hit the first 'next' button, so I am guessing that my uninstall had no issues.

After reinstalling, still the same issue is present, can't open and pdfs whether that be from my desktop, in file explorer or directly from the acrobat reader program.

I cannot find any other resources with this issue that I am describing.

I attached a ss of the basic menu on acrobat, as this is the only screen I am able to get out of this program before it closes when I try to open a pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that. Is it a work machine managed by the IT or a personal machine?

Have you tried to create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Windows and using the application there as suggested earlier?

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The computer is a personal device.

The account I have has full admin privaleges. Acrobat has worked fine in the past, about two months ago it worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
is there any solution to the issue? Any debug switch that would tell more than just "A running instance has caused an error"?

None of the steps mentioned in this thread solves the issue.
AR DC version in use: 21.005.20060
Windows 10.21H1 (19043.1165)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now updated with latest Windows cumulative to Build 19043.1202
did a AcroClean, removed all remaining "adobe" folders from USERS and Program Data
removed the AV-program
restarted
reinstalled AR DC x64 using the normal STUB-Installer
No success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that the issue still exists. Would you mind sharing the crash logs as described in the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/collect-logs-crash-freeze.html and share the logs file as described in the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/document-cloud/help/sharing-pdfs.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

Thank you for sharing the information. Also, please try to create a ne wtest user profile with full admin rights in Windows and try using the appliction there to check if there is some issue in your currect user profile.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines