• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF won't open unless I reboot.

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently updated Acrobat reader DC as well as adobe flash.  When I turn my computer on, reader works fine.  But after using a couple different programs PDF files will no longer open and I get a message that says:    "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item".  If I restart the computer, all is well again...for a while.  I am running windows 10

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Blkwelcpa,

Sorry for the delay in response.

Are you still facing this issue? If yes, please try the following troubleshooting steps:

1- Launch Reader as an administrator by locating Reader's shortcut on the desktop > right-click > select run as administrator.

2- If that doesn't work, try the steps given in this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/2669244/-windows-cannot-access-the-specified-device--path--...

Feel free to update this discussion if you need any help.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem except I don't get an error message.  I get nothing.  When in this state the icon on my desktop give me nothing as well on a right click.   If I reboot, it all works.  I am using Windows 10 and Firefox.  I would love to get better instructions for the next time to avoid rebooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave the same problem on Windows 10. Works fine all day, but next morning everything is fine except pdfs do not respond. They do nothing, no msg, whether an attachment to an email or a file in file explorer.  I have to reboot every morning. Pls advise. All updates are current.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2020 Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So upon further review, I discovered that every time I tried to open a pdf, a new Reader process showed up in task manager:

adobe reader processes.jpg

Killing the processes didn't help. Files wouldn't open as attachements, nor in File Explorer. Could not open Reader as admin or any other way. I have Acrobat and that worked fine.

Tried uninstall, reboot and reinstall. Will report back if that fixes the problem. This has been happening on and off for a few months, but it's been almost daily in the past couple of weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I see that this is a couple of years old but I am currently having this issue. Did you ever figure out a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2020 Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having exact same problem. Nothing works except rebooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe only care about having 30 processes running on your computer collecting whatever data they can it seems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you should reinstall the program after deleting all caches and related files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines