• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDFs not opening on my USB again - Recurring Error Message

New Here ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it looks like my nearly 1TB USB is being troublesome again when it comes to trying to open PDFs from it. About 2 months ago, I had a problem when it came to trying to open PDF files (maybe even other file types too when I downloaded an Excel file). I would get the messages:

"Adobe Reader could not open … because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn’t correctly decoded)."

or
"There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired"

After retracing my footsteps according to the file dates before I started getting these PDF error messages and going through a lot of mental frustration and painfully wasted time, I finally realized that the problem was a bulky zip file and after unpacking it and then deleting the zip file, the PDFs started opening properly again. In other words, it looks like the cause was a bad sector and this was something neither I nor the people who helped me was initially aware of when I last asked for help on that here. It actually reminded me of an error message with another one of my previous USBs that keeps repeating the message “please insert the last disk of the multi-volume set” every time I put it in and then made most of my mov files inaccessible, which I think was because of me downloading a bulky zip file of my smartphone photos into my previous USB, if memory and retracing serves right.

Anyways, now it looks like almost any new PDF that I download and then try to open up becomes inaccessible again. There are a few I'm able to open after I download but for the most part, I get either one of the two above messages for newly downloaded PDFs into my current USB. I've fully scanned my current USB with my Norton multiple times, attempted to retrace my footsteps to the best of my memory, unpacked my older zip files, and used the AOMEI Partition Assistant app and the Command prompt chkdsk to try to find any bad sectors if possible. I can't seem to find what is causing it since I still keep getting those error messages on most of the new PDFs I download.
I think the only things I haven't tried are doing a format of my current USB (since I don't think I currently have anywhere with enough reliable storage space to move them to while performing the format) or deleting my older zip files after unpacking them, which confuses me since I've never experienced any kind of PDF error message when those particular zip files were still unpacked on my USB. Does anyone know what else I can do to resolve this issue properly in order to access any new PDF I download on to my current USB or does it really look like I'll have to buy a completely new USB? I just don't know why this keeps happening to my USBs after I try backing up things into a bulky zip folder and move that into my USB.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , View PDF , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for more context, i have a link to my previous question about this particular USB here. also, keep in mind, i only got this USB last year, i have only used around 7% of it's total space so far, and found absolutely no viruses when i scanned it with my antivirus. theoretically, it should be working fine and yet i still get these error messages when opening PDFs that i download onto it for some reason recently

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader-discussions/could-not-be-open-the-file-because-it-is-e...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

Copy the PDF file from the USB to the local disc and open it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, i'm aware and it does open on the local disc.

though my intentions are that i'm trying to get it to open from my USB rather than from my local disc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

the thing is that i don't have as much space as i would like on my local disc and i am trying to see if i can open it on my USB device since it has more space. though, for some reason i can't figure out, any PDF or possibly any file i download becomes inaccessible and i'm trying to figure out if it's possible that i can resolve this or if i will have to end up buying a whole new USB device

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines