Playing Embedded Video without flash

Mentor ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

We are creating some interactive PDFs by embedded relevant videos at the end of each topic using Acrobat DC. However, when the end user opens the PDFs, Acrobat Reader asks for Flash Player. 

Now that Flash Player has officially been given a 'dead'line, is there any way we can play embedded videos without Flash Player? Or, is there any other workaround for embedding itself? We don't want to upload these to YouTube as our audience may not always have internet connection when viewing.

Regards

Sreekanth

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , View PDF , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I agree! I also understand that there are many benefits to the other formats and techniques to share multimedia content (like Publish Online or ePub), but there are still MANY use scenarios where an INTERACTIVE PDF viewed within ACROBAT is ideal and desirable. Taking away the ability to embed and control both video and audio in the PDF format for controls when exported from Indesign and viewed in Acrobat (due to the use of flash and .swf for media controls) is a true problem for many in the design community.  There must be a way to add controls to Acrobat that are not reliant on flash (perhaps, an html5 video-friendly way?!?!).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not agree more!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. The lack of information from Adobe is poor. It would be very helpful to get information about if the implentation of flash alternatives are beeing planned or not!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't help but I certainly agree with your comment. I've been using Acrobat Pro since ver. 3 and often included video - all of which is now a waste of time excepting, of course, that they now want you to pay a monthly sub for animate or such. 

This must cause a huge inconvenience to so many and a shed load of hard work to boot.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

Eventually,

- I have installed the Acrobat DC - 21.001.20135 version of Adobe Pro

- I have enabled playing 3D contents in 3D&Multimedia, 

and now, all my all .pdf read just fine!

Yours, 

Gerald

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash has been deprecated because of lack of support from Apple.

PDF is not owned by Adobe any more – PDF was a proprietary format controlled by Adobe until it was released as an open standard  in 2008, and published by the International Organization for Standardization as ISO 32000-1:2008, at which time control of the specification  passed to an ISO Committee of volunteer industry experts.

PDF 2.0 has many of the features you (we all) wish for but no vendor has implemented them yet. There was talk that Adobe might implement some of these specs this year, but that seems to have gone quiet.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks the info Derek. Is there any way we can get together and put pressure on Adobe etc to implement PDF 2? I accept that Adobe does not control the PDF format, but it owns InDesign, which for many years has been providing the software to produce interactive PDF files. It also owns Adobe Reader, and Acrobat which also facilitates adding video to PDFs. So it makes sense to me that Adobe surely should take responsibility for providing the means to read/play the resulting files. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best thing might be to post on the InDesign feature request forum: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear community,

I came across this topic while looking for a solution to an apparently common problem.

I also searched a little around the web. Few other topics like this are open

and the common answer, just slightly rephrased, is that it's our fault that we embedded videos in a PDF.

It's plenty of alternatives, I understood this. But this is "an answer" for future works...

What about old files, that's my issue.

I have a good amount of presentations that I built embedding videos in them. 

Even if they are old, I use them frequently (I teach), so the issue.

Is there a way to play those? Any workaround?

Member Test Screen Name replied before:

"Support for playing videos without Flash is brand new. People WILL need to update."

I cannot catch if this is or will be part of the solution...

Update Acrobat reader? Now I just downloaded v. 2019.008.20071. 

I have Acrobat DC v. 2020.006.20034.

I am on mac, but if a solution needs windows, I am open to use it.

Thank you a lot for any help!

Stay safe!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/flash-format-support-in-pdf.html

I can read:

"Playback of non-Flash media (excluding *.flv and *.swf) content in PDFs will continue to be supported."

so it's supposed that mp4/mov are playable?

it does not seem to be true , at least with the versions mentioned above.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sell ebooks in pdf format with embedded video. There are thousands of copies of our products all over the world. Suddenly the videos don’t play except on Dropbox in iOS. Adobe cannot morally uphold this position. Apparently there is an add-in for Reader (‘3D’) but it costs £15 per month. Acrobat Pro plays the video. Who is going to pay £15 per month to read one ebook? Adobe will be overtaken by some other company providing an answer. If Dropbox can do this on a phone, which it can, Adobe is starting to look extremely silly.  And greedy, but then we knew that. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Furthermore, this policy is extremely poor marketing, not to mention appalling PR on Adobe’s part. Adobe Reader was the first entry point to Adobe products for most of the market. So now increasingly the general market will be oblivious to Adobe products. Complacency like this can be the beginning of the slippery slope to irrelevance. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing also your experience.

And sorry to hear that this is heavily affecting your business.

I have no expectations that Adobe will listen to us,

but maybe a little noise can stimulate more expert people in the community to find some nice workaround.

You mentioned that Acrobat Pro allows you to play the videos, which version?

More than Flash End Of Lfe, that can be annoying but it's a company's decision,

the main fault here, in my opinion, is that Adobe made old files useless.

The impact is not only from the EOL day on, but it's retroactively applied.

I cannot remember a similar case, in which I have old files that I cannot use properly even if I kept the software to open them. Maybe and hopefully I am missing something.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@viviennew64209894  and @Ali Abu 

Please have a look at my reply below and provide sample PDFs if you're still facing issues.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ali, I would like to sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused due to the unplayability of embedded video in Reader. In order to troubleshoot the problem, I would need to gather some more information. Could you please share the version of Reader that you are using to play the embedded videos in along with a sample pdf so that I can try to reproduce the issue on my end.

Hoping to the hear back from you and solving this issue at the earliest.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

There are two ways to use OS Player:

Option 1:

Please update to latest version of Acrobat DC - 21.001.20135. This version doesn't defaults to playback via Flash player so your videos/audio should work via OS Player(Windows Media Player or QuickTime).

Option 2:

If you don't want to update Acrobat, you may change a preference to begin playing via OS Player:

1. Open Acrobat Preferences Control + K

2. Go to "3D and Multimedia"

3. Uncheck preference - "Use Flash Player for...."

ForForum.PNG

To reiterate, Acrobat/Reader will continue to support H.264 content, which includes mp4/mov files. However, formats native to Flash Player will not be supported like SWF.

Please attach PDF along with comments if you're facing issues after going for either of above options.

Regards,

Himanshu Sagar

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Himanshu Sagar,

Many thanks for yours, especially the apology. I have downloaded the latest version of Adobe Acrobat and found that it works fine on my iMac (but I also have Creative Suite with Acrobat Pro so I don't know if that affects it). I cannot attach a pdf as they are much bigger than 47MB.

We cannot get this version of Acrobat to work on our Windows 10 laptop nor iOS. On the laptop, the audio of the video is heard, but the video window is black with a horizontal green line reflecting the audio strength. On iOS nothing happens when you click on the video. 

However, we have found that this version on another Windows machine plays the videos perfectly. 

Any suggestions as to why it will work on one Windows machine and not another, and not on iOS? Of course the video controllers have disappeared which is a great frustration. When is this function going to return?

Thanks

Vivienne 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No version of Adobe Acrobat for iOS has ever played videos, so far as I know. There was never Flash on iOS either. Apple did not allow it on iPhone or iPad. (No idea about the Windows problem, sorry).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear hsagar,

thank you for your kind answer.

I can confirm that the 21.001.20135 version of Acrobat reader is playing the embedded videos,

with some issues with embedded MPEG-4:

. the controls that were supposed to appear on rollover are not appearing

. some gestures on my touchpad are anyway allowing the controls

_ two fingers slide up or right = go forward

_ two fingers slide down or left = go backwards

_ two fingers click makes a menu to appear

(view in floating window/full screen multimedia/disable content), but also pause the video

the video pauses only if it is stopped after some sliding forward or backwards,

it does not pause if just clicked while playing

no issues with embedded MOV:

the video plays fine and the controls appear. 100% the correct, old, expected behaviour.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ali,

What system are you on - Windows or Mac?

Regards

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

The behaviour reported above is on Mac, Catalina.

The same Acrobat reader version, 21.001.20135 on Win10:

for both embedded mov and mp4 just the sound is played,

a black box appears and a green horizontal line "shows" the sound played.

Hope this helps

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Unforunately, there's an on-going bug with Windows Media Player(Microsoft) which causes "Black screen" on some windows machines. This only happens on some machines. However, we do have a workaround :

1.  Go to Windows Settings > Display > Graphic Settings > Under Choose an App/ Browse >
  2.  Add Acrobat.exe and edit the default from "Let Windows decide" to Power Saving Intel.
  3. Relaunch Acrobat.
  4. Try to play video. 

Secondly, we have placed "playback controls" under registry lockdown till we figure out bug with Microsoft. We'll enable "playback controls" by default once bug is resolved.

Registry location :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Adobe\<Product Name>\DC\FeatureState]
"HonorControls"=dword:00000001

While creating registry, "FeatureState" is key and "HonorControls" is DWord 32. Product Name would be "Adobe Acrobat" OR "Adobe Reader".

Regards,

Himanshu Sagar

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Himanshu,

Many thanks for that information. We can confirm that the workaround does work on our Windows machine, though it is pretty clunky. Please keep us informed about progress on this and the playback controls issue. Or is there a better source of the most recent news on this?

Regards

Vivienne 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hsagar: Secondly, we have placed "playback controls" under registry lockdown till we figure out bug with Microsoft. We'll enable "playback controls" by default once bug is resolved.

Can you speak to an estimated timeframe for fixing the bug in Microsoft. I have clients impatiently waiting for playback controls to be brought back to media in PDFs in Adobe Reader.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Himanshu, 

I am using Acrobat Pro Version 21.01.01 (20210204.105909).

I want to play an old file (attached) created with Adobe Presenter 7.0 - its just slides an voice.

Tried to make it work as per your discription - but failed. Could not find Acrobat Preferences either. 

Kindly advise

Stefan

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines