• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Print to PDF not creating searchable documents

New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always used Microsoft Print to PDF from Acrobat Reader DC to create searchable pdfs - I use it to complete form fill pdfs for work, that I can go back and search later.  Out of the blue this just stopped working a couple weeks ago - I can still print the form fill pdfs like before, but when I reopen them later the text selection tool doesn't work and I can't search them.  These are the exact same form fill documents I was using before, same files.  Happens with any files.  When I open up files that were created BEFORE this started happening, I can still search them just like before - I just can't CREATE searchable pdfs anymore - All my new pdfs are not searchable.  I thought maybe it was a problem with Microsoft Print to PDF, but when I downloaded and tried out a different pdf printing app the same thing happened.  

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , PDF forms , Print , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share an actual file with us?
You can attach it to the original message using the tiny paperclip icon at the bottom when you edit it, or upload it to a file-sharing website (like Dropbox, Google Drive, Adobe Cloud, etc.), generate a share link and then post it here.

I have a feeling this has something to do with the MS PDF printer, not with Reader, but seeing an actual file (maybe a before and after version) would be helpful. Also, what exact version of Reader are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have similar problem.

When using Chrome or Microsoft Edge "Microsoft print to pdf", both create a non searchable and non editable pdf only. The generated pdf is just a picture. If using "Save to pdf", works fine, creating a searchable and editable pdf.

Microsoft Word, using "Microsoft print to pdf" or "Save to pdf", works fine as well.

Operating System Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language
Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
Other Operating System Description Not available
Operating System Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System name NB-DELL-MARCO
System manufacturer Dell Inc.
Inspiron 7560 system model
X64-based PC system type

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ability to print to PDF for searchable PDFs has been a critical tool for research, writing papers, writing business proposals, etc. Now that feature isn't working on Adobe Acrobat Pro 2017 or Adobe Acrobat DC. What happened? This is a main reason I love and use Adobe Pro PDFs to search the text, highlight and recall information once read in long documents. I have searched multiple forums and this seems to be a common issue. The issue transcends two Adobe software suites Pro and Reader (2017 and 2021) and it is not specific to a user or a particular document or webpage. I have searched for updates, yet my system is current and updated.

How do I print to PDF from a webpage and maintain searchabiltiy in the document? (FYI, Tools Scan &OCR -> Recognize Text OR Enhance Scan DON'T RECTIFY this issue, neither does refrying the PDF by printing a PDF to PDF again).

FIX: I removed the Adobe PDF option on Printer Drivers and now use the Save as PDF option.

• (I still find it confusing that the option with the name I know and trust, Adobe, is the print to PDF option that doesn't work, yet the generic option, Save as PDF, does work.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Adobe Acrobat you can create searchable PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2023 May 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

PaperPort does what you want and is not very expensive, particularly if you are using it for a few years. I use a non-subscription version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines