• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem reading folio files

Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Reader on my Android phone running Android 11. I receive email messages from companies with attachments that are folio PDF files. Adobe Reader on my Android phone (and I believe the Reader I have on Windows 10) will not read those files. The message is "file cannot be opened) Any suggestions?

TOPICS
View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly is a "folio PDF file"? It's not a familiar term. How do you know they are PDF at all? Can you open them anywhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, do you mean Portfolio? Portfolio files should open in Windows, if you save the file and open in Acrobat Reader. You will not see them in email at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened the email in Yahoo Mailfor Windows 10, saved the PDF to my laptop, then opened Acrobat Reader DC and attempted to open the file.

The message that I got when trying to open it is attachedf below.

So, there is still an issue opening Portfolio files in Acrobat Reader DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks. This is NOT a message you get from portfolios, and I'm guess you are saying "Folio files" because they have FOLIO in the file name. That's just what the sender called them. It's possible that they are damaged when they are leaving the sender, but there are other possibilities.

Please try and open one of these files in WORD or NOTEPAD and copy/paste the FIRST FIVE LINES of what you see (which will be gobbledegook; but there is good and bad gobbledegook).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the first 5 lines...forgive the gobbledegook...

JVBERi0xLjQKJaqrrK0KNCAwIG9iago8PAovUHJvZHVjZXIgKEFwYWNoZSBGT1AgVmVyc2lvbiAw

Ljk1KQovQ3JlYXRpb25EYXRlIChEOjIwMjEwMjE1MTAxMDU0LTA1JzAwJykKPj4KZW5kb2JqCjUg

MCBvYmoKPDwKICAvTiAzCiAgL0xlbmd0aCAxMSAwIFIKICAvRmlsdGVyIC9GbGF0ZURlY29kZQo+

PgpzdHJlYW0KeJydlndUU9kWh8+9N71QkhCKlNBraFICSA29SJEuKjEJEErAkAAiNkRUcERRkaYI

MijggKNDkbEiioUBUbHrBBlE1HFwFBuWSWStGd+8ee/Nm98f935rn73P3Wfvfda6AJD8gwXCTFgJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that's actually really useful gobblegook. I can tell you that this is not a PDF file. What it looks like is actually email gone wrong (but that's only one possibility). So I suggest you contact the sender and say:

I can't read the files you sent. Acrobat Reader just gives an error saying the file is damaged. I've had the file checked and it doesn't seem to be a PDF, the suggestion is that it might have been damaged by emailing. I wonder if you could try sending it another way, for example with http://wetransfer.com/

Or something like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is a file that is sent by a local Marriott hotel - a copy of a bill.
I will try to contact Marriott and see what thery have to say.

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines