• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PROBLEMS opening PDF in IE 9 or X

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2011 Apr 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can it be that Adobe releases a new version not able to open a PDF from a link?

ADOBE GET IT FIXED!!!!!!!

It can not be true that you have to change the settings in preferences before it works. How do I explain this to 1000 of  my costumers?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2012 Dec 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i know this is a while after the original post was made, but at my business only 9.5(for xp) and 10.1.3(for 7) versions of adobe work with other programs we use. so one of the users called in about everytime her ie9 opened a pdf, it would crash. So, after seeing the first couple of posts (and a few other forums)saying its a compatibility issue, i decided to use the below option.(not sure if anyone above suggested it tho)

go to:

tools > preferences

select internet from the left list.

where you see Display PDF in browser uncheck it.

this will open all your pdf files in your actual adobe program.

not sure if the most recent update fixed this ie9 issue, but if you don't want to mess with getting a new browser just to open pdf files, this is a good option to try. Fixed the user up so she could continue to work, so i was happy with the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 07, 2012 Dec 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thanx for the input windows 7 -ie10- still has issues, I'll try your idea... What I have been doing is "save target as" ( to desktop)as a work around...j

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2012 Dec 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, I had to do it with a user the day I posted here, and it appears to be working. We are still using ie9 tho, havnt made the jump to ie10 because it probably doesn't work with some of the programs our business users  use...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 09, 2012 Dec 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agagagaga- I tried every trick I know to get to a workable pdf- all my tech friends say they don't know what the hell I b talkin 'bout!?!?! Anyway- maybe windows 8 will fix some-o-this!?! WHAT THE HELL was wrong with xp? Nothing nada zilch- it always worked... Ltr...j

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2011 Oct 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In IE9 try going to Tools/Compatibility View settings  and add the site where the PDF is located to the Compatability list.  This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2011 Nov 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect you are trying to open the pdf doc (32 bit) with a 64 bit browser.  In windows 7, the OS is likely 64 bit but it will support both 32/64 bit programs.  Try navigating to program files (x86), then to the folder Internet Explorer.  Find the iexplore application and right click!  run this program as administrator if possible.  now navigate to website where pdf is available, you should be able to open the file now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2011 Nov 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Yours, Rex

[private data removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 10, 2012 Jan 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the problem is with Internet Explorer 9, not with Adobe Reader X.  I downloaded the free version of Apple's Safari as my web browser  Then I went to my bank, VISA, and brokerage accounts from Safari and was able to easily view and print my recent statements.  I did this only after spending countless hours downloading, deleting, re-downloading, and trying all the recommended fixes for Adobe problems.  Hope this works for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it's definitely IE 9 not Adobe and like you spent hours trying to

sort it. I found out, that it was  problem with IE9 and not my

computer, via Amazon. I was trying to print gift vouchers and couldn't.

They were aware of this problem and recommended using Firefox as my

browser. This works fine with Adobe so every time I need to download an

Adobe file I switch my web browser.

[private data removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder how many hours of time have been spent trying to figure out this problem – probably millions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2012 Jan 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with IE 9. I have both Acrobat 7.0 Professional  and Adobe Reader X (10.1.2) installed on my machine (Windows 7, 64-bit).

I opened the reader and in Edit -> Preferences -> General section , I clicked on the  button "Set Default PDF Handler" and selected "Adobe Reader X (10.1.2)"  and  clicked "OK". It installed something and prompted me to restart the machine. After restart it worked fine. I can now open PDF documents in IE without any problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2012 Feb 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help. I've been struggling with this problem for ages. I opened Adobe Reader X and used this procedure. Initially I was disappointed because the 'default pdf handler' was already set to Adobe Reader X (10.1.2). I re-selected 'Adobe Reader X (10.1.2)' and after the automatic install and restart the problem is solved. Thanks again.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2012 Apr 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

12 months on... & still IE9 & Adobe Reader 'X' are 'not compatible'! - The simplest 'workaround' - which has already been put forward on this Discussion/Thread - is to try a different browser. I only learned of this compatibility issue after emailing my energy supplier to say I could not open PDF versions of my bills from their website! Why this issue has been kept a 'secret', by Adobe & Microsoft, for so long is anybody's guess?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2012 Apr 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ukdeejay wrote:

12 months on... & still IE9 & Adobe Reader 'X' are 'not compatible'!

Alas this seems to be an indication of the lack of interest Adobe has towards users of Microsoft software. They eventually addressed the problem I reported earlier with 125% desktop settings under IE9 but still the maximum 150% setting causes problems (toolbar buttons don't work at all and Reader X is unusable within IE9). Why they didn't simply address both at the same time, I'll never know. With the official release of IE 10 (and Windows 8) just around the corner (and available already in pre-release form), I certainly hope Adobe are carefully testing for such issues with future OS's. It's a very dissapointing perfomance by Adobe so far as far as I'm concerned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2012 Apr 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim_Tsi

I was having the same problem and went on these forms to get help. I found out that Adobe X is not compatible with IE9. So to fix the problem. I just uninstalled IE9 and went back to IE8, I also uninstalled Adobe X and went back to Adobe 9. My problem is now fixed. Which reminds me of an old saying my dad use to say to me all the time. "IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT."

I hope this helps you out Jim or anyone else who is experiencing the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Please try using adobe Reader in 32-bit mode.

Just to be sure that the problem is with Adobe Reader, please try to open this link and see if it works:

http://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/attachments/Acrobat_Reader_ReleaseNote_10.1.3.pdf

Also please use updated version of Adobe Reader i.e. 10.1.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that suggestion but my system is ALL 32 bit and 2 days ago I performed a totally fresh installation from the ground up and using the FTP version of the full 10.1.3. Alas, I'm still getting the toolbar being totally unresponsive in ARX while my system is set to 150% (as desribed above) although (in my case) the pdf you linked to will open - I just can't do anything with it that I'd need the toolbars for!

Do you have any idea when this problem is likely to be addressed please? It's been a problem for a very long time now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Flying_Kiwi,

Can you please try to open a pdf in Adobe Reader while the system is set to 100%?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As may be inferred from my posts in this thread nos 9 and 27, 100% is fine and 125% is (now) fine (the latter having been fixed a few months ago). Unfortunately neither of these settings result in decent sized icons and graphics on my screen so 150% is a must. I have reported it to your UK HQ (they're just a couple of miles from where I live so I took in a letter with some printed screenshots). If you need further info though, don't hesitate to ask and I'll be glad to tell you more.... anything to help get this problem finally fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 25, 2012 Apr 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Flying_Kiwi,

Sorry for all the inconvenience caused.

This is a known issue and we are working on it at our end.

Regards,

Nikhil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am not sure if what I am encountering is related with the plugin for IE9.  I installed a Document management software.  It can be accessed through IE only for the client.  When I try to open a PDF file, it will always display the first one that I opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Knowing these are ancient posts- I still wonder if everyone is having a problem on  windows 7 machine ( ie9 + reader )...jayroz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2012 Aug 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved the problem eons ago...not a problem at all now using Win7 Pro 64 bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2012 Aug 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Firefox if I can't get it too work on IE but it does work using IE on some sites.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 08, 2013 Jan 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes try to open pdf in ie9 x32 and it says program broken; works OK in ie9 x64

Anyone know how to fix in ie9x32?

WOW kept searching and found....set reader prefs (internet) to open in reader (not via web browser) and now opens pdf's OK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines